One syllable first names? MN suggestions!

I’m new to this forum, but have been looking around for the last couple of weeks while I try and find names for our second baby due in [name]May[/name]. Gender unknown. :slight_smile: Our first child, a boy, has a traditional Irish name that’s very uncommon where we live. We’re not necessarily sticking with an Irish theme, and we don’t want something too popular. That said, these might not make the cut because of popularity… Anyway, I can’t come up with middle names for these!

So for a girl: [name]Tess[/name]; for a boy: [name]Quinn[/name]. Our last name is 3 syllables, but I think a 3-syllable middle name would work best, or else a two-syllable name with the emphasis on the second syllable.

For instance:

[name]Tess[/name] [name]Marie[/name] (except I dislike [name]Marie[/name] a lot, even though [name]Mary[/name] is a family name on both sides)
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Caroline[/name] (not crazy about [name]Caroline[/name], just using it as an example)

I don’t like [name]Tessa[/name] and [name]Theresa[/name] is my [name]SIL[/name]. So if it’s [name]Tess[/name], it’ll be just [name]Tess[/name].

For a boy, we liked the middle name [name]John[/name] (also a family name) but it sounds terrible with [name]Quinn[/name]. Again, I like [name]Quinn[/name] and not [name]Quinlan[/name], [name]Quinton[/name], [name]Quincy[/name], etc. I’m such a pain, aren’t I?

Help please! :smiley:

I personally think a two syllable name would be best here, but I think a three syllable could work.

2 syllables, emphasis on the second syllable:
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Adele[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Simone[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Katrine[/name] / [name]Tess[/name] [name]Catrine[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Laurine[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Elise[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Selene[/name] / [name]Tess[/name] [name]Celine[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Estelle[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Colette[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Camille[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Odette[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Charlize[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Faustine[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Lenore[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Siobhan[/name] (sticks with the Irish theme)
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Louise[/name]

Three syllables:
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Liana[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Leilani[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Eleni[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Samara[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Calista[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Rebecca[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Sienna[/name]

[name]Tess[/name] [name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] McClaren
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Arabelle[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Angelique[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Antonia[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Gabrielle[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Hermione[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Ciara[/name]/[name]Tess[/name] [name]Kiara[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Maribel[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Rhiannon[/name]

[name]Tess[/name] [name]Corinne[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Mireille[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Ashling[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Laurel[/name]

I also like a few four-syllable middles with [name]Tess[/name]:
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Ariana[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Angelina[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Tess[/name] [name]Annabella[/name]

And for [name]Quinn[/name]:
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Malachi[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Elijah[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Elliott[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Everett[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Beckett[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Rafferty[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Thaddeus[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Zachary[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Matthias[/name]

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ve been so stuck and these give me a lot of ideas - thanks!!! :slight_smile: I think my favourites are [name]Tess[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] and [name]Quinn[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name] or [name]Quinn[/name] [name]Rafferty[/name]. :smiley: I know DH likes [name]Gabriel[/name] (but not as a first name - really don’t like [name]Gabe[/name]) so that might be a winner!

[name]Just[/name] wondering if anyone has come across any variations of [name]John[/name] (in any language) that might work with [name]Quinn[/name]? After I wrote the post I found myself a little attached to [name]John[/name] as a middle name for a boy, but [name]Quinn[/name] [name]John[/name] still sounds awful. :-/

Are you open to using a second middle name? [name]Quinn[/name] [name]Gabriel[/name] [name]John[/name] is a handsome name in my opinion!

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Maria[/name]? [name]Tess[/name] [name]Maria[/name] would be beautiful, and I love the flow.
If not, how about [name]Tess[/name] [name]Josephine[/name], or [name]Tess[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]?

[name]Love[/name] [name]Quinn[/name] for a boy - how about [name]Quinn[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] or [name]Quinn[/name] [name]Jonathan[/name]?

[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Johannes[/name] or [name]Quinn[/name] [name]Evan[/name]? But I still like some of the non-[name]John[/name] names better with [name]Quinn[/name].

[name]Quinn[/name] [name]Seamus[/name]?

Ok, had a chat with DH last night about names (our first chat even though I’m due in 5 weeks) and he came up with some good ones. Unfortunately he hates [name]Tess[/name] AND [name]Quinn[/name]. Sigh.

But there are two new one-syllable names on the table. For a boy, we like Ruadh (pronounced Roo), and it would likely be Ruadh [name]Gabriel[/name] [name]John[/name]. But is it too cutesy or does the spelling save it from being childish? DH won’t consider longer versions like [name]Ruari[/name] or [name]Ruadhan[/name]. I have a friend [name]Ruari[/name] who goes by Ru and it really suits him I think, so I think it could work.

For a girl, DH came up with [name]Mae[/name], which I love! I know it’s really popular (here at least) as a ‘filler’ name, and I’m worried it’ll sound funny. Our last name starts with Mc. So I’d need a really good mn I think. FTR, DH also came up with [name]Arabella[/name] and [name]Anabel[/name] as first names, but neither work as a middle for [name]Mae[/name] I think. :-/ The names I like the best from the lists above are [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name], [name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Juliet[/name]. The last two are kinda cute with [name]Mae[/name]. Opinions?

I really love [name]Mae[/name]!! [name]One[/name] of my current favs. Im personally not a fan of Roo (I know this is not the spelling) for a boy. There is a [name]Rue[/name] (girl) in the hunger games, so I think a lot of people will associate with that. And also Roo from [name]Winnie[/name] the Poo. For a boy how about:

[name]Grey[/name]
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Shane[/name]
[name]John[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]
[name]Flynn[/name]
[name]Brooks[/name]
[name]Leif[/name]
[name]Drake[/name]
[name]Dane[/name]
[name]Zane[/name]
[name]Zeke[/name]
[name]Paul[/name]

Hmm, didn’t know about the Hunger Games character - I tend not to follow popular stuff like Twilight, Game of Thrones, etc. blush So thanks for pointing that out! We do have other names we’re considering for a boy which is a relief because boy names were so hard for us last time. This time, it’s the girl names! Must mean we’re having a girl lol! [name]Just[/name] have to come up with some middle names!

I like [name]Mae[/name] a lot and I love [name]Tess[/name] – sure he won’t come around on that one! If we did [name]Mae[/name] I think I’d pair it with [name]Frances[/name].

I’m sure he won’t come round on [name]Tess[/name], this is the second baby I’ve tried to get him to consider it for. Since I just vetoed one of his fave boy names, I have to let it go now in fairness, which I’m surprisingly ok about considering how obsessed I was with it at the start of this pregnancy lol! My mother will be devastated, she was really hoping lol!

[name]Mae[/name] [name]Frances[/name] is lovely! DH actually likes [name]Frances[/name] for a girl so that may be in the running, and I’d never have thought of it! Thanks!

Cool! We came so close to naming my daughter [name]Clare[/name] [name]Frances[/name] but had a last minute change of heart but I wish we had gone for it.