One syllable last name...

Hello fellow nameberry-ians,

I am expecting a child with my husband. Our last name is Glass. Both his name and my name begin with S, so it might be interesting to keep with that theme, but it isn’t necessary. I am at a loss of names! There are ones I know I enjoy, but don’t seem just right. Help or opinions are appreciated.

[name_f]Lavender[/name_f] [name_f]Laraine[/name_f] ( grandmother who recently passed) Glass
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] Glass
[name_f]Abigail[/name_f] Glass
[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] my mother’s name Glass
[name_f]Summer[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]/[name_f]Raine[/name_f] Glass

I also really enjoy the name [name_f]Persephone[/name_f], but think it is too ‘out-there’ to fit in to our style. I should add that my husband really is against [name_f]Summer[/name_f] and [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f] because they sound too… made-up/They’re already the name of something else and i don’t want to name my daughter that ":smile:

iI appreciate your suggestions and help.

I would stay away from words as first names in this case. [name_f]Joy[/name_f] is okay in the middle and [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] is beautiful. I will suggest:

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] (I don’t suggest this name very often but I love it and I like the repeating y)
[name_f]Camille[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] (I like the repeating L in [name_f]Camille[/name_f] and in Glass)

It sounds like you sorta want a word name in the front… so how about [name_u]Everly[/name_u] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] Glass? It has the appeal of a word name but sounds
more like a ‘real’ name for your husband.

I love [name_f]Summer[/name_f] [name_f]Raine[/name_f] Glass. [name_f]Summer[/name_f] is a lovely warm name and [name_f]Raine[/name_f] as a middle is such a nice touch.

Because your last name is a word, I would stay away from word first names.

I really like [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] Glass, or [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Laraine[/name_f] Glass. [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] Glass and [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_f]Laraine[/name_f] Glass also sound nice.

Maybe…

[name_f]Elena[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]
[name_f]Sienna[/name_f] [name_f]Laraine[/name_f]
[name_u]Skylar[/name_u] [name_f]Laraine[/name_f]
[name_f]Samara[/name_f] [name_f]Laraine[/name_f] Glass
[name_f]Susanna/name_f [name_f]Joy[/name_f] Glass
[name_f]Leona[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] Glass

My maiden name is one syllable. My parents gave me a 3 syllable first name and a 3 syllable middle name and it flows really well with the one syllable last name.

Since Glass is already a noun name, AND your husband isn’t fond of the other noun names ([name_f]Summer[/name_f], [name_f]Lavender[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f]) then I would probably just give them up, unfortunately. Although, perhaps try [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]?

[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] is gorgeous and I love how [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] Glass sounds. [name_m]Even[/name_m] [name_f]Vivi[/name_f] Glass sounds chic. [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] is kind of “blah” to me compared to [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]. What about [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]?

Stay away from word names, especially [name_f]Summer[/name_f] [name_f]Raine[/name_f]. It sounds a bit silly as a person’s name.

I like [name_f]Abigail[/name_f]. Maybe [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_f]Laraine[/name_f]? Or [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]? [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] Glass is beautiful.

Thank you all so much for the replies :slight_smile: I know I have a hard time giving up boy names. They sound like a princess to me, memorable, if a bit whimsical. It seems like [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] is the front runner. I do want to think over [name_f]Samara[/name_f] and a few other S names…

Thanks again. Now to consult the hubby!

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] to nameberry, and congrats!

I love [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] [name_f]Laraine[/name_f]. Its so fun to say:) Getting away from the word names, I also love [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f]. Its so vintage and chic.

S names-
[name_f]Soraya[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarai[/name_f]
[name_f]Senara[/name_f]
[name_f]Selah[/name_f]
[name_u]Sydney[/name_u]
[name_f]Serena[/name_f]
[name_f]Serenity[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_f]Sapphira[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Selena[/name_f]
[name_f]Sybilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Savannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Sunniva[/name_f]
[name_f]Soleil[/name_f] (so-lay)
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f]
[name_f]Sabrina[/name_f]

[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] and [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] really jump out at me. Both are stunning!

I think [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] Glass is a lovely name

[name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] gets my pick, i definitely agree about avoiding nouns or adjectives. [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f] [name_f]Samara[/name_f] would be pretty.

I love these names:
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_f]Lillian[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]

Well I see that there aren’t really any s names
[name_f]Seraphina[/name_f] [name_f]Raine[/name_f], [name_f]Stella[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f], [name_u]Skylar[/name_u] [name_f]Joy[/name_f], [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] [name_f]Raine[/name_f], [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f], [name_f]Serena[/name_f] [name_f]Raine[/name_f], [name_f]Serenity[/name_f] [name_f]Raine[/name_f], [name_u]Sutton[/name_u] [name_f]Raine[/name_f].
Maybe [name_f]Celeste[/name_f], [name_f]Cecily[/name_f], and [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f].
None S related names:
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], [name_f]Nora[/name_f], [name_u]Piper[/name_u], [name_f]Hazel[/name_f], [name_f]Willow[/name_f], [name_f]Lila[/name_f], [name_f]Gemma[/name_f], [name_f]Rayna[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f], [name_u]Remi[/name_u], [name_f]Estella[/name_f]

I know others have mentioned this but if I were you I’d probably avoid word names with a last name like Glass.
[name_f]Summer[/name_f] Glass, [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] Glass etc sound more like descriptions of the glass than a persons name. (Almost like it’s describing the type of glass or the merchandize line).

Honestly I think [name_f]Lavender[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Joy[/name_f] and [name_f]Summer[/name_f] are all great names in their own right and if you had a different last name I would whole heartedly endorse them but as it is I’d suggest them as a middle name at best.

I think [name_f]Vivienne[/name_f], [name_f]Laraine[/name_f], & [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] are all great choices.

I feel like you like the idea of honoring a family member but maybe using their name isn’t quite right… have you considered thinking about other ways to choose an honor name? I personally like these as guidelines (but obviously pick and choose as you see fit).

1. Variants of their name. For example you could honor a [name_f]Maria[/name_f] with a name like [name_f]Mary[/name_f], [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], [name_f]Marylin[/name_f], etc.
  2. A different name with the same/similar meaning. For example: Instead of [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] you could choose a non-word name that means purple like: [name_f]Ianthe[/name_f], [name_f]Iolanthe[/name_f] or [name_f]Yolanda[/name_f].
  3. Choose something that person loves and choose a name by that meaning. For example: If you grandmother is know for wearing pearls maybe you choose [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. Or if you mother loves butterflies maybe [name_f]Marisol[/name_f].
  4. A name that has similar look and sound but is quite different. For example: you could honor your grandmother [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] by naming a son [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] or [name_m]Evander[/name_m].