Only two months left and a bad case of apathy!

Two months could be a long time…or a really short time. But considering how little progress has been made in the past seven, I think we need (semi) professional help here. Our last name is almost Holverstadt, but spelled more American-ly. We both really like unusual names with a good history, but a lot of interesting names end up sounding ridiculous with our last name. Husband is an architect and likes names that remind him of desingers/architects he likes.

Here’s our list and all the caveats…
[name]Eero[/name] - Husband’s favorite by a mile. Nothing else can compare. Architecture bonus. It has not been well-received by family and friends, which bothers me, I admit. Middle names are also a problem, but we can tackle first names first.
[name]Alaric[/name] - my top choice for about 3 years, until I actually got pregnant. Now it seems stale. Would that go away if I used it anyway?
[name]Alvar[/name] - we both like it but does it sound too rhymey with last name? (architecture bonus)
[name]Lionel[/name] - Husband saw [name]Lionel[/name] [name]Hampton[/name] perform once so that’s a nice connection, but we’re kind of luke-warm on it.
[name]Cyrus[/name] - Another meh.
[name]Thor[/name] - a forever guilty-pleasure that I could easily be talked into…[name]Thorstan[/name], [name]Thorin[/name], etc make it more wearable but don’t appeal much

Husband is completely happy with [name]Eero[/name]. I’m possibly okay with it, but have basically no other ideas to put on the table. After spending so many years as a name-hobbyist, I’m horrified to discover that I’m actually sick of thinking about it.

Suggestions? (I’m almost afraid to ask because I’ve been so uninspired that I fear I’ll just reject everything! Which is basically what happened when I posted a similar query a few months ago) Or just talk me into any of the names already on our list?

First off, I absolutely [name]LOVE[/name] your girl choices! [name]Isadora[/name] and [name]Cecilia[/name] are stunning.
I think keep [name]Eero[/name] on the list, as your husband is totally happy with it and you said you don’t mind it. If you both like [name]Thor[/name], I think you can keep that on the list as well. I agree with you that [name]Thorin[/name]/[name]Thorstan[/name] would be much more wearable and I think it would be a good idea to use that with [name]Thor[/name] as the nickname. You still get to use the name you love, but it wouldn’t be so viking-y. The rest of your names don’t really seem worth keeping to me, because you really don’t seem thrilled with them. I’d recommend putting together a new list and starting fresh. Some suggestions to get you started:
[name]Axel[/name]
[name]Eric[/name]
[name]Arlo[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Apollo[/name]
[name]Tobias[/name]
[name]Arthur[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Alastair[/name]
[name]Blaise[/name]
[name]Otto[/name]

I really like [name]Eero[/name] and [name]Thor[/name]. If you’re not 100% on [name]Thor[/name] what about [name]Odin[/name]? I think he would fit in just fine with the [name]Aidan[/name]'s and the [name]Owen[/name]'s out there. I also quite like [name]Alaric[/name], I think it’s super cool and fresh and would fit in fine with the Alexs and an Erics of the world. If you’re not too wild about it right now, maybe it’s just because you’ve hyped up your little future [name]Alaric[/name] so long that it just seems like old news. I would keep it on the list just in case, who knows, maybe he’ll come out looking like an [name]Alaric[/name]. Okay, maybe some of these will help:

[name]Orion[/name]
[name]Maverick[/name]
[name]Theon[/name]
[name]Seth[/name]
[name]Cairo[/name]
[name]Wyatt[/name]
[name]Lennon[/name]
[name]Finch[/name]
[name]Stellan[/name]
[name]Soren[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Alcott[/name]
[name]Angus[/name]
[name]Ivor[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Luca[/name]
[name]Artemis[/name]
[name]Orson[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Cian[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Hero[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Moses[/name]
[name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Algernon[/name]
[name]Cassius[/name]
[name]Achilles[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name].
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Cillian[/name]
[name]Gustave[/name]

I admit this list is kind of all over the place but I figure if I give you a lot of different options we can narrow down what you don’t mind and what you totally despise. Good luck!

[name]Hi[/name] there!
Couldn’t help but comment! I am a huge architecture fanatic, and think it’s an awesome idea to use a name inspired by it! I was lucky enough to marry a guy with the last name [name]Taliesin[/name], so all my kids have a great link to amazing pieces of architecture, but some other ideas for you could be:
well, [name]Taliesin[/name] - might be a bit much with your last name though
[name]Eames[/name] or Ames - love this for you!
[name]Wright[/name] - i think this is awesome with your last name!
[name]Lloyd[/name]
[name]Kenzo[/name] (Tange), [name]Renzo[/name] ([name]Piano[/name]), or [name]Enzo[/name]
[name]Mies[/name] - after [name]Van[/name] de Rohe
[name]Oscar[/name] - after Niemeyer
Andao - after Tadao

ps: beautiful girls names! Is [name]Isadora[/name] honoring [name]Louis[/name] [name]Isidore[/name] Kahn?

• [name]Viv[/name]

I really like [name]Eero[/name] as well; your friends and family will warm up to it, I bet. Some people just have trouble with any name that they haven’t heard on a person (that they know) before.

[name]Love[/name] the suggestions of [name]Mies[/name], [name]Wright[/name], and [name]Eames[/name].

[name]Thor[/name] is not my fave, but it is doable; the only [name]Thor[/name] I’ve known was from a Norwegian family, so it made a bit more sense to me given that context.

I say if you’re not still excited about [name]Alaric[/name], then it’s not the right one. I’m also unsure about where the stress falls in that name ([name]AL[/name]-ar-ic or al-AR-ic) which puts me off it a bit.

[name]How[/name] about some other Scandinavian names:

[name]Per[/name]
[name]Tor[/name] (a varient of [name]Thor[/name] that’s less burdened with the god-of-thunder vibes)
Ensio
[name]Frey[/name]
[name]Henrik[/name] (if you don’t mind alliteration)
[name]Lars[/name]
Aulis
[name]Rune[/name]

Oh, you guys are wonderful. You are giving me names I do still like! I’ll be late for work if I reply in detail right now, but I at least wanted to say thank you right away!

Ok, from your suggestions, I’m liking…

[name]Axel[/name] - love, but have never gotten much warmth from husband on this one
[name]Arthur[/name] - Ditto…sigh…
[name]Blaise[/name]
[name]Otto[/name] - [name]Love[/name] but looks/sounds too much like the end of LN
[name]Orion[/name] - On the right track, but maybe a little too new-age? What do you think?
[name]Theon[/name] - Intriguing! [name]Will[/name] ask.
[name]Stellan[/name] - Too close to [name]Stella[/name]?
[name]Soren[/name]
[name]Orson[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Moses[/name]
[name]Jonah[/name]
[name]Achilles[/name] - I would love an Iliad name because it was an important part of our college education but [name]Achilles[/name] was such a jerk for most of the story! [name]Hector[/name] was my favorite, but his name starts with an H. :frowning:
[name]Gustave[/name]
[name]Taliesin[/name] - Yes, too much, sadly.
[name]Eames[/name] or Ames - Apparently [name]Eames[/name] is pronounced with an EE sound. Otherwise this would probably be my top choice.
[name]Wright[/name] - Architecture bonus possibly too blatant. [name]Will[/name] ask.
[name]Enzo[/name]
[name]Mies[/name] - Evidently means something like “idiot” in colloquial [name]German[/name]? We both have relatives in Germany and that would be unfortunate.
Andao
[name]Tor[/name]
[name]Frey[/name]
[name]Rune[/name]

[name]Will[/name] check with husband about this list. I’m so excited to actually have something new to ask him about!

A current huge name crush of mine is [name]Cecilia[/name]! :slight_smile:
Also, have you considered the name [name]Eamon[/name]? (pr. ‘Ay-mon’)–a nn for this name is [name]Eames[/name] (pr. ‘Aims’).

Like your style
[name]Eero[/name]
[name]Rune[/name]
[name]Alaric[/name]
[name]Tor[/name]
[name]Orion[/name]
are on my list and those are my fave from your list. I love [name]Taliesin[/name] and [name]Dashiell[/name] but wouldn’t use. [name]Wright[/name] is a family name and I love it as well and was the first name I thought of when you said architecture.

I also have [name]Torin[/name] on my list. It’s Irish, but lends itself to [name]Tor[/name] easily but is a bit longer.

Good luck, you’ve got some great choices there.

I love [name]Alaric[/name].
more ideas-
[name]Alden[/name]
[name]Thane[/name]
[name]Chester[/name]
[name]Abram[/name]
[name]Corbin[/name]
[name]Teague[/name]
[name]Oren[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Gannon[/name]
[name]Clark[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Roan[/name]
[name]Casper[/name]
[name]Thaddeus[/name]
[name]Gage[/name]

[name]Just[/name] thought I would add:

[name]Aric[/name] (air-ik)
[name]Orrin[/name]
[name]Nestor[/name]
[name]Evander[/name]
[name]Thane[/name]

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

You guessed it! :smiley:

Thank you! And I can’t tell you how much relief it gives me that not everyone dislikes [name]Eero[/name] and [name]Alaric[/name]! Especially because I just asked my husband about the new list I made yesterday from your suggestions, and added [name]Eamon[/name], [name]Odin[/name], [name]Nestor[/name], and [name]Evander[/name] from the newer suggestions…and he liked:
[name]Theon[/name] (though not as much as I was hoping for)
[name]Enzo[/name]

That’s it! He just really, really likes [name]Eero[/name]. Sigh… So is anyone up for middle name suggestions with that one? We’d prefer to use family names and not stray too much from the namesake. Choices include: [name]Marc[/name], [name]Geoffrey[/name], [name]Brett[/name], [name]Raymond[/name], [name]Franklin[/name], [name]Marvin[/name], [name]Guy[/name], [name]Clarence[/name], and [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Charles[/name] if you go back far enough. We both like the rhythm of [name]Eero[/name] [name]Alexander[/name], but there aren’t any Alexanders in the family, and [name]Alexander[/name] the Great was kind of a jerk. I’ll entertain non-family suggestions too, if you think of something amazing. [name]TIA[/name]!

[name]Hi[/name]! I’m late to the game, but I love [name]Isadora[/name] and [name]Cecilia[/name]! What are your girl middle name options? I’ll throw out my personal favorite - [name]Wren[/name]. My sister is an architect (in training) and Sir [name]Christopher[/name] [name]Wren[/name] was the architect on St. [name]Paul[/name]'s Cathedral! [name]Just[/name] a thought ([name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Wren[/name], because [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Wren[/name] isn’t so good, flow-wise)

Anyway, [name]Eero[/name] is cool. I understand your reluctance considering family isn’t exactly enthusiastic, but could they just call him E if it’s that big of a deal? Or, maybe he could have a cute initial nickname, like EJ? None of your family names really work for that, though, do they? I suppose you could convert [name]Geoffrey[/name] to [name]Jeffrey[/name], but it isn’t near as cool - [name]Eero[/name] [name]Jefferson[/name] H.? Maybe. Nice sound. [name]Eero[/name] is too cool to not say, though, right?

[name]Eero[/name] [name]Marcus[/name], [name]Eero[/name] [name]Franklin[/name], and [name]Eero[/name] [name]Charles[/name] are my favorites off your family name list. [name]Eero[/name] [name]Benjamin[/name] is my favorite random idea! I’d absolutely go classic - “normal” - in the middle to off-set [name]Eero[/name]'s super cool but very unique first name, though if you’re into interesting, by all means go there!

Other ideas - [name]Eames[/name], [name]Gehry[/name] (or [name]Frank[/name], for multiple people, and [name]Franklin[/name] is really fun and a family name!), [name]Gray[/name], Kahn (or [name]Louis[/name], which is probably better), Mackintosh, [name]Frederick[/name] (or [name]Law[/name] or Olmsted), [name]Pelli[/name], [name]Sullivan[/name], [name]Wright[/name]? As a first name, my favorites are [name]Eames[/name], [name]Frederick[/name], [name]Sullivan[/name], and Mackintosh.

So, since [name]Franklin[/name] is a family name already, you could do something like [name]Franklin[/name] [name]Eero[/name] or [name]Franklin[/name] [name]Pelli[/name] and it would be really neat! Otherwise, using my favorites and your family names, I like [name]Eames[/name] [name]Edward[/name] and [name]Eames[/name] [name]Geoffrey[/name] (though [name]Eames[/name] [name]Alexander[/name] is amazing, too!), [name]Frederick[/name] [name]Charles[/name], [name]Sullivan[/name] [name]Edward[/name] or [name]Sullivan[/name] [name]Marc[/name] or [name]Sullivan[/name] [name]Marcus[/name], and Mackintosh [name]Edward[/name] or Mackintosh [name]Franklin[/name] - I’d call Mackintosh “[name]Mac[/name]” for short, by the way.

[name]Lemon[/name]

Personally I like [name]Thor[/name]. It’s different but short enough to not be too much name when combined with your last name.

tct - Thank you. I don’t know if I’m gutsy enough for Thor, but I also think it sounds good with our last name (a rare occurrence!). Maybe with the right middle, even a skinny nerdy kid could find a way to survive with it…

Lemon - For girl middles, we are planning to use some form of my mother’s name, which is Lucille (she goes by Lucy). Isadora Lucia is kind of a mouthful (especially with last name), but also such a princess name that it’s hard to resist, and that’s probably what we would use. Cecilia is already a family name, though, so I will definitely ask husband what he thinks of Cecilia Wren–I think it’s adorable!

Sullivan is “okay”. The others have all been rejected as either too blatantly architectural, or ugly designers. I don’t understand the criteria for rejection/inclusion very well, but I accept that there are some. As I mentioned above, if it were up to me, I’d be perfectly happy with Eames, (mis)pronounced Ames. Maybe someone would buy him an extremely comfortable, over-priced chair as a clever gift someday. But evidently both parents are supposed to get some say and agree or something. Hmf!

Eero Franklin is not bad. I’m not in love with it, but I could live with it. Do people find that Eero Marcus overly emphasizes the wordiness of both names? I would love it if something Marc-y worked, because he’s a person we’d really like to honor.

I also like the idea of an initial nickname…unfortunately, Geoffrey really can’t be converted to Jeffrey, because my stepfather-in-law is Jeffrey with a J, and father-in-law is Geoffrey with a G. So it would look like we were slighting Geoff, instead of honoring him!

What are some other long, classic boys’ names that could be good in the middle? Maybe something that starts with a J to get the initials EJ, or another good inital combo?

Husband is starting to dig in his heels a little (he’s already chosen…I guess he didn’t get the same memo I got about parents agreeing and whatnot), so I may have to back off a little bit. I don’t know if we’re getting anywhere, but at least I don’t feel as depressed about it. So that’s a good thing! Thanks everyone, again, for your ideas :slight_smile:

tct - Thank you. I don’t know if I’m gutsy enough for [name]Thor[/name], but I also think it sounds good with our last name (a rare occurrence!). Maybe with the right middle, even a skinny nerdy kid could find a way to survive with it…

Hm. A skinny, nerdy kid named [name]Thor[/name]. Sounds like an oxymoron to me! Ha. [name]Thor[/name] is neat, though. I just actually asked someone how cool it would be if my name was [name]Dice[/name]. Yea, that’s insane, right? She didn’t think it would be cool at all, in case you were wondering… :wink:

[name]Lemon[/name] - For girl middles, we are planning to use some form of my mother’s name, which is [name]Lucille[/name] (she goes by [name]Lucy[/name]). [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucia[/name] is kind of a mouthful (especially with last name), but also such a princess name that it’s hard to resist, and that’s probably what we would use. [name]Cecilia[/name] is already a family name, though, so I will definitely ask husband what he thinks of [name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Wren[/name]–I think it’s adorable!

[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucia[/name] is quite a mouthful with your last name, but very pretty. I even like [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucille[/name] or [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lucy[/name]. [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Luce[/name] or cute [name]Isadora[/name] [name]Lou[/name] could be pretty. [name]Lucienne[/name] is also quite glamorous, but very long again. Isn’t [name]Cecilia[/name] [name]Wren[/name] spunky? [name]Love[/name] it. [name]Celie[/name] [name]Bird[/name]. So pretty…

[name]Sullivan[/name] is “okay”. The others have all been rejected as either too blatantly architectural, or ugly designers. I don’t understand the criteria for rejection/inclusion very well, but I accept that there are some. As I mentioned above, if it were up to me, I’d be perfectly happy with [name]Eames[/name], (mis)pronounced Ames. Maybe someone would buy him an extremely comfortable, over-priced chair as a clever gift someday. But evidently both parents are supposed to get some say and agree or something. Hmf!

I respect that! See, I think [name]Eames[/name] is a totally cool name and I think [name]Eames[/name] chairs are quite chic - though definitely pricey and hard to come by (my brother thought he spotted one in a Goodwill once - yea right!). I don’t actually like the “dreams” pronunciation of [name]Eames[/name] - I like the mispronounced “Ames” better! That’s awful, isn’t it? Bummer hubby won’t budge. He’s got to give and take!

[name]Eero[/name] [name]Franklin[/name] is not bad. I’m not in love with it, but I could live with it. [name]Do[/name] people find that [name]Eero[/name] [name]Marcus[/name] overly emphasizes the wordiness of both names? I would love it if something [name]Marc[/name]-y worked, because he’s a person we’d really like to honor.

[name]Just[/name] realized that [name]Eero[/name] [name]Marcus[/name] makes me think of a marksman and his arrows. Uh oh. Have you considered two middle names? Again, a lot with your last name, but I’m personally in love with [name]Eero[/name] [name]Julian[/name] [name]Marcus[/name] - E. J. for short.

I also like the idea of an initial nickname…unfortunately, [name]Geoffrey[/name] really can’t be converted to [name]Jeffrey[/name], because my stepfather-in-law is [name]Jeffrey[/name] with a J, and father-in-law is [name]Geoffrey[/name] with a G. So it would look like we were slighting [name]Geoff[/name], instead of honoring him!

Yikes! [name]Don[/name]'t do that.

What are some other long, classic boys’ names that could be good in the middle? Maybe something that starts with a J to get the initials EJ, or another good inital combo?

Again, I’m in love with [name]Eero[/name] [name]Julian[/name]. [name]Eero[/name] [name]Jonathan[/name] is nice, too. Very nice, actually! Hm. Other E-Something initial nicknames? I’m assuming E.T. ([name]Eero[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]? [name]Eero[/name] [name]Tobias[/name]?) and E.Z. ([name]Eero[/name] [name]Zachary[/name]?) won’t make the cut, right? E.W. could potentially work, though it isn’t quite as easy to say as E.J. [name]Eero[/name] [name]Wyatt[/name], [name]Eero[/name] [name]William[/name]?

Husband is starting to dig in his heels a little (he’s already chosen…I guess he didn’t get the same memo I got about parents agreeing and whatnot), so I may have to back off a little bit. I don’t know if we’re getting anywhere, but at least I don’t feel as depressed about it. So that’s a good thing! Thanks everyone, again, for your ideas :slight_smile:

As a Finnish-American I keep up on the Saarinens ; ). I like the name [name]Eero[/name] and think you should go for it if you want. I also like [name]Alvar[/name], but can see the point about the LN. Point of info: [name]Eero[/name]'s father Eliel was also an architect, I don’t know if you’d like that name (or how you feel about his architecture), but the name seems a little more accessible, [name]Eli[/name] could be a familar nn and the full name fits in with [name]Gabriel[/name], [name]Michael[/name], [name]Raphael[/name], [name]Daniel[/name], all those -el names, but is still more off the beaten path, also might pick up on what you like from [name]Lionel[/name]. Or not : D. Good luck.