Onneli thoughts and History

I was looking for rare Fennish names and stumbled across this name, [name_f]Onneli[/name_f]. Its pronounced On-na-lee. I love it. It means Happiest; [name_m]Lucky[/name_m]. Problem is, I see it being pronounced as On-Nelly. I like its unique spelling and Im usally not a big fan of unique spellings, but i like it. It reminds me of the name [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f], Eu-la-lee. A name in an [name_m]Edgar[/name_m] [name_m]Alan[/name_m] [name_m]Poe[/name_m] poem. I also like it because the name [name_f]Analee[/name_f], people always think of “a-n-a-l”. Onnalee just doesnt seem as pretty of spelling IMO. But on a interesting note, [name_f]Onnolee[/name_f] was a Native American [name_f]Princess[/name_f] of the Munsee tribe who resided in [name_m]New[/name_m] [name_m]York[/name_m]. Her tribe was taken over by another tribe, and rather than kill her, the [name_m]Chief[/name_m] took her for his own. Instead of accepting her fate, she stabbed her captor escaped and jumped to her death at [name_m]Hemlock[/name_m] [name_f]Lake[/name_f]. She rather die than be taken. To this day, they say Onnelee still haunts that very loaction. Very facinating name background and makes you wonder if the name [name_f]Analee[/name_f] was always meant to be spelled with an “O”.

I really like it! I’m also a huge fan of unique ethnic names that feel fresh but have history. [name_f]Special[/name_f] bonus if people can spell and pronounce it!

I would instinctively pronounce it On-Nell-ee, but as soon as I saw your pronunciation I went “that makes more sense!” So I doubt it would be an issue for long. She can always say, “Like [name_f]Connelly[/name_f] without a C.” (I did just type “Donnelly without a D” but that’s probably a more problematic connection lol :joy:)

1 Like

I could see it being pronounced on-nel-lee, which isnt terrible. I just keep thinking of the name [name_f]Nelly[/name_f]. Haha! I dont hate the name, just makes me think of the rapper and [name_f]Nelly[/name_f] Furtado. Lol! [name_f]Nelly[/name_f] could be kinda cute NN i guess :woman_shrugging:t3::yum:

When I saw your caption in the name advice column, my first thought was “ooh that’s a really pretty name, I’ve never heard of it before” and immediately clicked on it to read what you said

I really like it! Once you said you’d pronounce it on-na-lee my brain has automatically started to pronounce it like that every time I read it. I don’t think it would be too big of an issue getting people to pronounce it correctly either. I think I’m like you and prefer the [name_f]Onneli[/name_f] spelling the most too. And I think it having a positive meaning and a strong role model with the name really adds to the goodness of the name

I also really love the name [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] too which is funny because you mentioned [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f]. Maybe that’s why I really like [name_f]Onneli[/name_f] !!

2 Likes

I like it too. I like all the unusual names with good meanings like that.

I actually know someone with this name! She spells it Onalee, probably to avoid the pronunciation issues you mentioned. Onnali might be a good spelling if you want to avoid “Oh-nellie”?

1 Like

I think its cute and fwiw I instinctively pronounced it awn-uh-lee

1 Like

I was thinking the same! I think the “a” is nice. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f], and i like [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f]. But i like [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] to be pronounced Eu-la-li-uh. But i guess its pronounced Eu-lal-yah.

1 Like

I read it as on-nuh-lee, over On-elly - perhaps it was that one L that made me think that? It is a lovely name, rugged, sweet and gentle with style and distinctiveness!

The [name_f]Onnolee[/name_f] history is fascinating too - a name with various layers of history :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yay! Thanks! :hugs: I unfortunately couldnt find any concrete meaning to [name_f]Onnolee[/name_f]. Hopefully I’ll find it!

1 Like

It’s lovely though I would have pronounced it won’t at first glance. It reminds me of Honah [name_m]Lee[/name_m].

1 Like

That’s so weird because I’ve always seen [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] pronounced as Eu-la-li-uh or even Eu-lay-li-uh but never Eu-lal-yah

I get what you mean though! Name pronunciations can really alter how much you love a name (especially when it’s more commonly pronounced the way you don’t prefer!)

1 Like

Thats just what it sounded like on pronunciation sites. Lol! I love [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f] in that case. Im.sure it would be easy to correct. I have a slightly average name, and it gets pronouced wrong all the time. :joy::melting_face:Definitely a name to add to faves :grin:

1 Like

Yes! I thought the same! I grew up on that song, “Puff the [name_m]Magic[/name_m] Dragon”! I didnt think about it until researching the Native American princess. And honestly, it makes me like more, because I still have fond memories of listening to it when i was young. :partying_face::dragon:

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter’s middle name is [name_f]Onneli[/name_f]! I was looking at various Nordic names and really wanted a name that meant happiness or luck and if encompasses both meanings! I did have some people question it or pronounce it wrong in my family, but most people love it. Her first name is Iris,which means rainbow, so my intention was to give her a name that had all of the good vibes and happiness that was humanly possible, haha. So I support this name choice 100%

4 Likes

What a beautiful name for her! I love the name [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. “I” names are so lovely. Paired with [name_f]Onneli[/name_f] it sounds [name_f]Heavenly[/name_f]!

1 Like

Thank you, that’s so sweet!

1 Like

The Finnish name [name_f]Onneli[/name_f] is indeed pronounced On-nelly (it’s an elaboration on the male name [name_m]Onni[/name_m] which means luck/happiness) so it’s a legitimate pronunciation that might be difficult to avoid with this spelling - spelling it [name_f]Onnolee[/name_f] would make the pronunciation you want more natural to me.

2 Likes

Thats good to know. I think i would change it to Onnali.

1 Like

I think it’s beautiful and be excited to meet someone who goes by it.