Ophelia

What do you think of [name]Ophelia[/name]?

Beautiful? Or too dark?

Too much teasing potential?

I am thinking of it for a sister to [name]Eva[/name]. Possibly a twin to [name]Sylvie[/name]. Still working on the twin names. Thanks.

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Pomme[/name],

While I think [name]Ophelia[/name] is pretty (it’s not too dark for me, but I think it will be for some), I’d be too afraid of the “I’ll feel ya” jokes in middle school to use the name myself. I also have a habit of putting prefixes on the name when I hear it, like “hemophelia” and “pedophelia,” which gives me pause.

A friend of mine just used this name for her baby, and she’s already wishing she’d used it as a middle name due to the potential teasing.

If you’re worried about teasing, why not use it as a middle? It works really with some of the names you may be considering with [name]Sylvie[/name], like:

[name]Daphne[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name]
[name]Esme[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name]

I love [name]Eva[/name], and can’t wait to see the names you choose for the twins!

Thanks, I can’t wait to see, too. I don’t think I’ll know til I am in the hospital.

It is a little too dark for me - middle name would be better but . . . Still pretty dark. I think of the book Reviving [name]Ophelia[/name] (or something like that) describing girls who are passive and sad that isn’t the association I would want for a little girl. However, of course, that’s just me!

It would be a great middle name.

I must be oblivious, why is [name]Ophelia[/name] dark? I think it’s gorgeous! I think it’d be an awesome first name, with something simple, like [name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Jane[/name]. It is a little out there, though, if I were you I’d consider whether or not you think you can pull it off, if you can, chances are good your daughter can.

[name]Ophelia[/name] is only dark because of [name]Hamlet[/name] - she is jilted, her father is murdered, she runs mad and kills herself…

I know a few Ophelias and nobody plays around with their names in a dodgy way to my knowledge… One has the nickname ‘O’, the other is ‘[name]Fee[/name]’ but insists on her full name now she’s grown up.

[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is gorgeous. The dark connection is a plus for me.

I find [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] a beautiful name! I wouldn’t use it personally as I always worry about kids teasing her. It’s a shame as I think otherwise it’s such a lovely name. If teasing is your biggest concern, maybe use it as a middle name?

I love it! It really seems like more people are using it and over time as sweet little girls grow up with the name I think it will lose some of that dark connection, though I have to say that doesn’t really bother me.

I don’t sense any ‘darkness’ about the name, it’s pretty, but yes there is some teasing potential in it like “I feel ya”, which isn’t that bad if people pronounce it properly.

I don’t think [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] is well-known enough for [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] to feel “too dark” (unlike [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], which I find too tied to [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] & [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]). I think [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is lovely with [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f].

[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is lovely. I agree with scater that most people won’t pick up on the [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] connection. If you pronounce it as “Oh-[name_u]FEE[/name_u]-lee-yuh” that should also reduce teasing possibilities.

I like [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] and haven’t thought of these associations, but now that you mention them, I’d use it as a miidle name only.

I think that whether or not people make the [name_m]Hamlet[/name_m] and suicide connection is going to depend on the type of people you associate with. All of my friends are book nerds, not at a scholarly level or anything, just big fans of reading, and I know that all of them would make the [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] connection immediately.

That being said, [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f] is a beautiful name, and I hate the idea of a single use of a name tainting it for all time, so I think you should use it if you really love it.