Ophelia???

[name]Hi[/name] all - so my question is - is the name “[name]Ophelia[/name]” viable? Or is it still too tainted by the tragic girl in [name]Hamlet[/name]?

I [name]LOVE[/name] how the name sounds, and was considering it as an alternative to the extremely popular “[name]Olivia[/name].” I’m wondering if it could work as a first name - or if not a first, a middle. (I’ve seen it as a middle in the [name]London[/name] Telegraph birth announcements, but the Telegraph can be really out there, lol!)

So first question: [name]Do[/name] you like it or no?
Second question: If you like it, what are some good combos?

I think [name]Ophelia[/name] is really pretty, but I have a habit of automatically thinking of the prefixes “ped” and “hem” when I hear it (pedophelia and hemophelia), which completely ruins the name for me. I’d also be concerned about “I’ll feel ya” jokes in middle school, but that’s just me.

On the bright side, I don’t associate with [name]Shakespeare[/name] anymore, and think it’s a great substitute for [name]Olivia[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Camille[/name] (too much tragedy, though…)
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Simone[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Violette[/name]

I think Shakespearean names are gorgeous, and love:

[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Mariana[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Octavia[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Rosaline[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

don’t forget [name]Hermione[/name], a shakespearan name

I too love [name]Ophelia[/name], but always am reminded of the ped prefix. I think [name]Ophelie[/name] is beautiful, perhaps an alternative? Oh also another one of my very favorite’s that has that O sound…[name]Opal[/name]

Oh my - Thanks all. I hadn’t even thought of the “ped” and “hem” prefixes. Though the “I’ll feel ya” nickname ran through my mind. Always good to stop playground torture before it starts, lol!

Thanks for the list of [name]Shakespeare[/name] alts, [name]Jill[/name]!

I really like the name [name]Ophelia[/name] myself, and though she’s a tragic character, I think that literary roots are a good thing. To keep the name but steer away from some of those complications, you might consider adding an accent over the e making it Oph”lia thus making it pronounced oh-[name]FAY[/name]-leah. Some people of course don’t like extra accents as they think it is fussy but others (like me!) think they add a certain flair and exotic sophistication.
With Oph”lia you don’t have any of the ped/hem problems or the “I’ll feel ya” problem either.

Have to disagree with the accent suggestion! Then it rhymes with failure…

I think it is a pretty name but it is also what I would call a large name. Not that a name can’t be a little bigger than a baby who can “grow into” their name, but it just has an image to me that is beyond that. A very big pair of shoes to step into. Aside from the tragic character and the basic troubles of mispronunciation - and I think an accent would make the name even more pretentious and unfortunate - it has elements of posturing that I would steer clear of. I can’t imagine that being my name, for example, I don’t know how many things I would have to change in my life to approach living up to the size of it, if my parents had loved that name. That’s just my impression.

It is very pretty and it used to be on my lists. I knew a girl called “[name]Effie[/name]” and my mother had told me her given name was likely [name]Ophelia[/name] (which I had never heard before nor read [name]Hamlet[/name] yet). I think her family was Greek and she had strong features. [name]Effie[/name] is an approachable nickname. Part of me thinks it’s doable, it’s not that strange. A little unusual, but not really outlandish with today’s trends. I like to imagine names as if they were adults - called for a job interview particularly, but whether they were a co-worker or someone like a judge or something serious and professional. I wouldn’t cross it off the list, but I would consider the life span of this person, not just how the sound of their name fits in your ear.

i love [name]Ophelia[/name].
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Cate[/name], [name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Esme[/name]”, [name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Grace[/name], [name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Isobel[/name], [name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Iris[/name], [name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], [name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Rosalind[/name] (that may be to much), [name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name], and [name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Tess[/name] are nice combos.

[name]How[/name] about going from [name]Shakespeare[/name] to Swan lake:)
[name]Odette[/name]
[name]Odetta[/name]
[name]Odilia[/name]
[name]Odelia[/name]
Hopefully this helps.

I personally love it! It happens to be my 1# favorite girls name. :slight_smile:
I realize it does have some connotations…but I just love it too much to give it up!
Some ideas:
[name]Ophelia[/name] Margeurite - my personal favorite.
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Rosamund[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] Margeaux
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Daisy[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Annette[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Georgine[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name] [name]June[/name]
I hope this helped! :slight_smile:

I have always admired [name]Ophelia[/name] and I think if I met someone with this name then it probably wouldn’t be terribly unusual but I do find it problematic. It feels too close to naming a daughter [name]Antigone[/name] or [name]Desdemona[/name]…

[name]Ophelia[/name] is a name that I love, but am not brave enough to use because of its Shakespearean connection, as well as the ‘oh feel ya’ pronunciation. Additionally, unlike [name]Olivia[/name], it doesn’t have any obvious nicknames ([name]Lia[/name], I suppose). I do however, love the [name]Millais[/name] painting of [name]Ophelia[/name].

I think it’s gorgeous, but it will always have the tragic Shakespearean association for me. Not the end of the world (better than naming your daughter after a TV character, in my opinion) but it’s something to keep in mind.

Think of it this way:
Maybe your daughter will grow up to be someone famous for amazing things and then no one else will think of the name being tragic!
[name]DO[/name] IT

I can’t look at the name [name]Ophelia[/name] without remembering what kids used to do to that name when I was in elementary school/middle school. It’s possible that a child with this name would be made fun of so severely that she would hate her name forever.

I have always loved this name but haven’t been daring enough to use it. If you like it, you should go for it. It has such a feminine, sophisticated ring to it.