Opinion on Buchanan?

Hey guys,

Few days ago my and wife and I were watching [name_m]Captain[/name_m] American: The winter soldier. and one of the characters middle name was [name_m]Buchanan[/name_m]. We love it and its one of our main options -as a first name- What do you think of [name_m]Buchanan[/name_m]? [name_m]How[/name_m] do you imagine a [name_m]Buchanan[/name_m] to be like/look like?

All the best,
[name_m]Mark[/name_m]

It’s just a surname to me.

I immediately think of the very rich couple from The Great [name_m]Gatsby[/name_m]. [name_m]Tom[/name_m] [name_m]Buchanan[/name_m] is not a very flattering character in that book. I essentially see it as the last name of someone rich and arrogant.

I think of president [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Buchanan[/name_m]. Not one of the presidential names I would use.

People might call him [name_m]Buck[/name_m], which I don’t like.

It’s also only a surname for me, a middle at a stretch if it’s linked to the family as it is with mine. I would picture [name_m]Buchanan[/name_m] as a strong, courageous Scottish man, though I also associate it with the Great [name_m]Gatsby[/name_m].

My first thought was that it had great nicknames - I like [name_m]Buck[/name_m] and [name_m]Canon[/name_m]. On the surface I like the sound of the name, but it’s really hard to shake any negative connotations associated with it.

We love the name other options are… [name_m]Alaric[/name_m] [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] [name_m]Hiram[/name_m] & [name_u]Monroe[/name_u]. A name with charisma that will stand out. any suggestions? thoughts?

I love all of these names. I think they all also make for great combos as I can easily see each one paired with another on the list.

[name_m]Alaric[/name_m] [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m]
[name_m]Alaric[/name_m] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u]
[name_m]Gideon[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m]
[name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] [name_m]Hiram[/name_m]
[name_m]Hiram[/name_m] [name_m]Alaric[/name_m]

Yeah, they all work fantastically together. I also imagine all these names as very charismatic, though [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m] will depend on which it’s paired with.

I think [name_m]Buchanan[/name_m] is cool, but I’m not in [name_u]America[/name_u] so I don’t get the President connotation. Also I haven’t read or seen the Great [name_m]Gatsby[/name_m] but I do love [name_f]Marvel[/name_f] and I like surname names…

I like:
[name_m]Buchanan[/name_m] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u]
[name_m]Buchanan[/name_m] [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] (love [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m])

They are quite long names though, so I guess it depends on your surname.

Yeeaaah…my immediate thought was: “As in President [name_u]James[/name_u]?” To me it’s like naming your kid [name_u]Kennedy[/name_u], [name_m]Clinton[/name_m], or [name_m]Obama[/name_m]. It doesn’t matter how long ago his presidency ended or how fashionable it sounds; the association will be there. But if that doesn’t bother you, go for it.

Don’t know your thoughts on it, but if you do want to go in this direction, Lincoln seems a much safer choice.

I actually think [name_m]Buchanan[/name_m] is an awesome name. It is too surname-y for me, but I still think it sounds cool. I think it make an awesome middle. It does bring to mind [name_m]Tom[/name_m] [name_m]Buchanan[/name_m] and [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_m]Buchanan[/name_m] of course, which aren’t amazing associations, but I don’t think that should ruin the name forever.

I actually don’t hate it. It sounds very sophisticated.

I’m not opposed to surnames as first names, but [name_m]Buchanan[/name_m] is a bit unwieldy. It doesn’t seem like a name that would wear well. [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] and [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] are my favorites from your list. I would especially love to see [name_m]Ambrose[/name_m] in use.