Opinion on “fictional” names

I was recently watching Tinkerbell with my nieces and there’s a fairy named [name_f]Iridessa[/name_f] and I thought that was one of the prettiest names every, similar to [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. Would you guys every consider this or is it too fictional? Any other made up names you would consider?

2 Likes

Hmm… well the way I take [name_f]Iridessa[/name_f], is it’s a smoosh name. If I’m not mistaken, the character is a light-type fairy. Iri means “light” and [name_f]Dessa[/name_f] means “wandering” so her name would mean something along the lines of “Wandering [name_u]Light[/name_u]”.

I don’t think it’s too out there to use, but I personally wouldn’t use it myself as it’s not my style. There’s a few “made-up” names I could possibly consider, but it’s not typically something I do.

I love made up names like [name_f]Iridessa[/name_f], I think it depends on meaning and intention! If it’s just to make a name unique no ty, but if it’s a name you heard and fell in love with I say go for it, especially if it’s from a show you seen (I love the tinker bell association btw)

2 Likes

I think it’s beautiful! I wouldn’t be brave enough to use it as a first name, but it would be a stunning middle!

I actually think [name_f]Iridessa[/name_f] is super pretty! I have a ton of fictional names in my UC, I personally love more fictional or fantasy sounding names

1 Like

I think [name_f]Iridessa[/name_f] is gorgeous! I also think there are levels of “fictional” names. There are names like [name_f]Wendy[/name_f], [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], and [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f], which have entered the popular consciousness, and then there are names like [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f], which is either looked down upon or seen as a guilty pleasure. I think [name_f]Iridessa[/name_f] falls in the middle. It’s a bit more dramatic than [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f], but fits in with a lot of names that are popular right now.

As for other fictional names, there’s a character in a book series I love with the name Rayseline. I think it’s a take on the name Raisel, but as far as I know, it was made up for the series. I also like Elphaba and Nessarose from Wicked.

2 Likes

Hmm I don’t feel like [name_f]Iridessa[/name_f] is crazy out there. It feels like a name and not necessarily a “fictional” one. It does sound like a fairy or a bit mythical but not in a kooky way which makes it feel grounded to me.

I don’t have a problem with [name_f]Iridessa[/name_f]. It’s pretty. I doubt most people are familiar enough with the Tinkerbell movies to make the connection. I saw them all a handful of times when one of my younger relatives watched them but I wouldn’t have picked up that it was from those films on my own.

If it bothers you though, perhaps you could consider something like [name_f]Irida[/name_f]?

[name_f]Iridessa[/name_f] is pretty. I personally wouldn’t use it because it’s not my style, but I like it for someone else’s child. Few people are going to know about the Tinkerbell connection so I don’t think it’s a big issue.

Regarding fictional names, for me it really depends on the name. If it sounds like a reasonable name and the character is fairly obscure to the general public, then I’d say it’s probably fine. I wouldn’t use Gandalf, [name_f]Katniss[/name_f] or anything tied inextricably to one character.

I think [name_f]Iridessa[/name_f] would work, but it’s a bit braver? I don’t think it’s too fictional though. As others have pointed out, [name_f]Vanessa[/name_f], [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] and [name_f]Wendy[/name_f] are believed to have been invented for fictional characters, and no one has taken issue with those - [name_f]Renesmee[/name_f] or [name_f]Khaleesi[/name_f] might cause more reactions, but statistically in some regions, they are getting some use, so even those don’t seem bad to me.

I think fictional names can work, but it depends on a few factors, like the name itself, its usage and whether or not the character it’s tied to is a positive or negative association.