Opinion on middle name please?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all! I’ve been a fan of these boards and your impeccable naming choices for awhile. Now I’m 30 weeks pregnant with my sweet girl and I would like your opinions please!

We have decided to name her [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], after my beloved grandmother who passed away a couple years ago- we had an incredible bond and I feel very lucky to have a daughter to give that name. Now- my husband and I have gone back and forth with a handful of middle names and seem to have settled on [name_f]Eileen[/name_f] for his grandmother who also passed away awhile ago. He wasn’t able to go to the funeral and his whole family was very close to her. I think it’s only right that if he wants to honor his grandmother, we should. To my knowledge, none of the nieces have that middle name either. I also loved [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Geneva[/name_f] and that would have been the top pick but we decided we loved [name_f]Geneva[/name_f] too much and want to “save” it, since [name_f]Eileen[/name_f] will only ever be a middle name.

My question (after this long explanation) is how do you feel about [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Eileen[/name_f]? Too old sounding? I was hoping for something more spunky…We’ll end up calling her [name_f]Rosie[/name_f] most of the time, and I think they flow nicely, I just don’t want to saddle her with an “old” name forever- but I like how Irish it sounds since my husband is from [name_f]Ireland[/name_f].

Thoughts appreciated!!

It is quite old sounding, but it’s also nice!
Here are some names similar to [name_f]Eileen[/name_f] in meaning, though, if you wanted to switch it up but still honor her.

[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Elena[/name_f] (I like this option because it’s more modern and also sounds similar!)
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Leocadia[/name_f] (she could always be [name_f]Cady[/name_f] if she hated her name, ha)
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] (good for your Irish roots!)
[name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Sorcha[/name_f] (ditto)

ETA: Congratulations! I forgot to say :stuck_out_tongue:

I really like [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Eileen[/name_f]! I also love the suggestion of [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Elena[/name_f].

Thanks! I had [name_f]Claire[/name_f] on my list, but my husband didn’t like that. He liked [name_f]Isla[/name_f] so I suggested that as a “version” of [name_f]Eileen[/name_f] but he said we have to use her exact name. I think it sounds nice, just worried my fiesty little girl will have kind of an old name. But I never cared for my middle name and I hardly ever used it except for initials.

Thanks for your other suggestions, he also vetoed [name_f]Sorcha[/name_f] and one of his sisters is [name_f]Niamh[/name_f] so that’s out. All of my favorite Irish names went out the window when I married him- we have 13 nieces and nephews with great names like [name_f]Saoirse[/name_f] and [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] that we can’t use!!

Oh, I see! I think it’s fine to use, [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Eileen[/name_f] is lovely and if she hates her middle name, no one needs to know it (like you said). I wouldn’t worry about it. That’s tragic about your name list, though: Irish names are absolutely gorgeous!

Thank you for the reassurance! I have loved names for so long and I want hers to be perfect!! I think we’ll have to stick with [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Eileen[/name_f]. It’s growing on me…

Yes, I’m really out of luck on the Irish name front. Nephews also include favorites [name_m]Killian[/name_m] and [name_m]Cian[/name_m]. I love all their names but I want them for myself!

Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!