Opinion on Name Popularity...?

I need some honest opinions. We have decided we love the name [name]Norah[/name] for our girl but I just went online to see the predictions for its popularity in 2011 and found that the Huff. Post had posted a top 100 list from Nameberry and [name]Nora[/name] was #35 and then #29 on the prediction of top 100 for 2012!!!

What! I’ve only known of 1 [name]Norah[/name] in my life! I’m so disheartened to have read this as I have always said I would not want to pick an uber-popular name. :frowning: And I really don’t want the next [name]Emma[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Olivia[/name] (all beautiful names, but I have a super common name and don’t want our daughter to have to go by her name + last initial like I did).

[name]Do[/name] you think it will become really popular?

Have you met any recent babies with the name?

(P.S. The other name we like is [name]Sloane[/name] but I see on Nameberry’s main site that it is almost always in the “Searched for” ticker in the top, leading me to believe it will boom soon. What gives! haha it is #593 on SSA Popular Names and we already have a friend using it!!)

I know a newborn [name]Norah[/name] and an [name]Eleanor[/name]…it’s a name I hear mentioned a lot here and when I talk to pregnant friends about names. I can see it creeping up the ranks. If you like it I think you should go for it cause we can’t predict these things. [name]Sloane[/name] and [name]Maisey[/name] were what I wanted to name my future daughters when I was in high school! Maybe you would like: [name]Nina[/name], [name]Elena[/name], [name]Owen[/name], [name]Laurel[/name], [name]Coral[/name], [name]Lana[/name], [name]Rory[/name], [name]Dahlia[/name], [name]Calla[/name], [name]Farrah[/name], [name]Tara[/name], [name]Honor[/name], [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Myra[/name], [name]Raya[/name], Rya, [name]Samara[/name], [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Vera[/name]?

I have a 4 yr old [name]Nora[/name], she has 1 in her in her dance class and my 7 yr old has 1 in her class.

I know 3 under 6 :slight_smile:

I would only let it stop me if the last name is also very common. My aversion to common names only comes from my common last name, because it would mean dozens of people who share both first and last name. If I end up married to someone with an unusual last name, I would use a more common name in a heart beat. I recommend typing [name]Norah[/name]/[name]Nora[/name] Lastname into facebook and see what comes up. You can also use a website called howmanyofme.com that uses statistics to estimate how many people share your name.

Oh no! See this is what I’m afraid of…and it does matter to me. I want her to be unique in her class and have her own name! :confused:

I know one [name]Norah[/name], and she doesn’t even live in my state. Most of the people I know pick mainstream but not top-10 names (i.e. [name]Nicholas[/name], [name]Tyler[/name], [name]Gavin[/name], [name]Samuel[/name], [name]Delaney[/name], [name]Kylie[/name], [name]Ariana[/name], [name]Layla[/name], [name]Julia[/name], [name]Landon[/name], [name]Mason[/name], etc.) and [name]Norah[/name] is too much of an acquired taste for them! Maybe check where it ranks in your state here (Popular Names by State)–of course, that’s not to say how fast it’s going to grow in popularity but how it compares to the other popular names in your area. I honestly can’t see it getting much more popular, though… I don’t really hear it mentioned that often and I don’t think it has the wide appeal that something like [name]Madison[/name], [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Hannah[/name], or [name]Gabriella[/name] has.

I know of one [name]Nora[/name] but her full name is [name]Eleanor[/name]. Honestly, I wouldn’t worry too much. Sorry if someone mentioned it but popularity now is different than it was years ago. For example in the mid-late 80s, Jennifers were EVERYWHERE. There are tons and tons of people with my name. By comparison, there are less Isabellas now than there were Jennifers in the 80s. So the chances are smaller now that she will end up being [name]Nora/name A. (or whatever your last initial is) vs. me having to be [name]Jenni[/name] P or [name]Jenni[/name] Lastname. Good luck!

I have never met a [name]Nora[/name], or heard of one besides on TV. I think you’re safe.
35 and 29 on a list on nameberry doesn’t mean it’s very popular in your area.

I don’t know any Noras or Norahs. Of course do what feels right for you, but I might advise you not to worry about it so much. If you pick some really uncommon name, it’s still possible she’ll be in a class with someone with the same name anyway. A common name by no means guarantees that conversely. It seems like in your experience it did, but that’s not always true. It’s a lovely name. Good luck!

do not know (or know of) any Norahs.

I would also keep in mind that what you find on this site is different than a lot of the rest of the country.

If were based on nameberry alone, there would be a gazillion Beatrices, Veras, Harriets, Violets, Imogens, etc. In reality, there aren’t. I am also on a [name]April[/name] due date baby forum and with 11,000 members and at least 500-600 who have posted girl names – not 1 [name]Nora[/name].
I am withholding judgment on the state of many names being used today.

If I were you, you need to use a name you love or you [name]WILL[/name] be crushed when you hear someone else use it! That happened to me. My second’s name is firmly in the mid-300s on the SSA list (though talked of often on here, there was no nameberry when I named her 8 years ago) and I know of [name]SEVEN[/name] of all different ages in my town. It initially crushed me because I thought she would be the “only” one with the name. Nope. Another with the same name moved into town when she was 4 and now she has to use her last initial in school, something I hoped to avoid.
Go with what you love that is out of the top 100. But don’t be crushed when you hear it!!