opinion on Nicolette?

do you only think of the gum used to quit smoking?

LOL! That thought didn’t even cross my mind, actually. My middle name is [name]Nicole[/name], so I always thought it would be a cool name to use, for me. (I actually prefer [name]Colette[/name], though) :slight_smile:

[name]Nicolette[/name] was on my list until someone said it sounded like Nicorette. :frowning: I really like the nn [name]Nico[/name], but I agree with rica, [name]Colette[/name] is probably a better option.

It doesn’t remind me of Nicorette gum at all. It’s funny that’s one person’s reaction and then you can’t get it out of your head. I like [name]Colette[/name] also. I do have sort of a dislike of names that end in -ette or -etta because they are diminutives, not just feminizations (not a hard and fast rule for me); a cigarette is a small cigar, so they named the gum a little portmanteau of nicotine and cigarette, which just happens to overlap with the name [name]Nicolette[/name].

I really still like [name]Nicolette[/name] - better than [name]Nicole[/name], for example. So I don’t mind the -ette here. [name]Nicole[/name] is ni-[name]COLE[/name], but [name]Nicola[/name] has the same rhythm as [name]Nicolette[/name]. NI-co-La, not ni-[name]COLE[/name]-a. [name]Just[/name] a suggestion. I think [name]Colette[/name] is a form of [name]Nicolette[/name], but I always feel it to be (somehow) related to [name]Colleen[/name]. It’s a different language origin and meaning, but [name]Nicole[/name], little [name]Nicole[/name] ([name]Nicolette[/name]); [name]Colleen[/name], little [name]Colleen[/name] ([name]Colette[/name]). This is how it arranges itself in my mind.

Considering the overlap with Nicorette, I still hear the name and do not think of the smoking-cessation gum, and still like the name, and would probably still use the name if it were something I were already considering. It’s tremendous help when someone thinks of things we’ve never thought of before. It’s easy to love a name and never notice or associate anything negative about it - sound-alike words, pop cultural presences, etc. It’s helpful in making your decision, but once you find out what it is, you can still decide whether that matters, if it has ruined the name, or if you can live with it. I would still consider [name]Nicolette[/name] on the table, as well as [name]Colette[/name]. The Nicorette connection doesn’t ruin it for me. You may feel differently.

Yes, that is immediately what I thought of! To be precise, I thought “isn’t that a type of gum or cigarette?” Reaction to it as a name is 'ugg". Sorry. :frowning:

Unfortunately, yes after a few seconds of thinking about it, I do start to hear those gum commercials. It’s a minor sound coincidence, but it doesn’t bring about a negative association for me. I think I would get over it if I actually met someone named [name]Nicolette[/name] and got to know her.

I do like [name]Collette[/name] though. I think it’s very pretty, prettier than [name]Nicolette[/name], but just my personal preference.

I didn’t think of Nicorette at all until you mentioned it. I don’t think that would be enough to dissuade me if I really liked the name. I happen to not like [name]Nicolette[/name] too much myself, but not for any reason I can put my finger on. I liked pp’s suggestion of [name]Nicola[/name] but that reminds me of Ricola the throat lozenge.

Ditto