Opinion please... Erica

Hey Berries… I saw a post asking about whether ‘mom-name’ [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] is dated and it received surprisingly positive comments!

I’ve always had a soft spot for [name_f]Erica[/name_f] so wanted your thoughts on this name. I’m in the UK and it’s not very popular here. Is it a dated mom name or could be used today?

What are your first impressions / associations when you hear the name [name_f]Erica[/name_f]?

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m in the UK too, and the only [name_f]Erica[/name_f] i’ve ever met was a little girl a few years ago who was about 7/8 then. I like it!! ‘E’ names are really in so I don’t see why [name_f]Erica[/name_f] wouldn’t be in the playground with [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Erin[/name_f], [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f] etc.

For me, it’s pretty tied to the 60s-80s. It’s a perfectly fine name and of course it’s usable today, but it does feel dated to me (I’m in the US).

1 Like

I like [name_f]Erica[/name_f] a lot. It’s such a fiesty name

Yes, I like it! I’m also in the UK and [name_m]Eric[/name_m] is strangely popular for baby boys in my circle, but I’ve only ever met one little [name_f]Erica[/name_f] (probably around 3 now). I much prefer it to [name_m]Eric[/name_m] and think it’s a strong, pretty, underappreciated name.

It might be dated in the US but if it was never too popular in the UK then I wouldn’t worry about it! Plus, I’m in the US and the only [name_f]Erica[/name_f] I ever met was the same age as me! And I don’t think I’m too dated (hopefully!)

I was the one who asked about [name_f]Amanda[/name_f]. Looking at the popularity in the US, it looks like [name_f]Erica[/name_f] and [name_f]Amanda[/name_f] followed the same trend lines of a rise in popularity and then a drop, while in the UK [name_f]Erica[/name_f] seems more stable never rising to the same highs or lows. I think it would be perfectly usable. I have a preference for [name_f]Erika[/name_f] over [name_f]Erica[/name_f] in terms of spelling. The k seems to make it a little edgier and modern, but that’s just a personal preference.

I would say [name_f]Erica[/name_f] is very bland and just average (no offence) but I think it would be lovely with a less common middle name.

2 Likes

I don’t mind it. I think I prefer it as [name_f]Erika[/name_f] it looks better.

I like it and don’t think its too dated. I don’t know a lot of Ericas of any age so don’t think it has the same feel as a name like [name_f]Brittany[/name_f] or [name_f]Jessica[/name_f].

It has a pretty sound but it does feel dated to me. The only [name_f]Erica[/name_f] (and she spells it [name_f]Erika[/name_f]) that I know is in her 50s. You definitely won’t meet many young Ericas in the US. I definitely still think it could be used though!

I’m in the US, and [name_f]Erica[/name_f] always felt a tiny bit dated to me. But, my 14 yr old niece has a best friend named [name_f]Erica[/name_f], so it doesn’t feel that way to me anymore! I can absolutely picture it on any age.

Also, in the show Stranger Things, there is a young character named [name_f]Erica[/name_f]. I think it made me like the name even more!

It’s fine. With many of those “dated” names, I don’t think they’re particularly exciting, but they aren’t bad.

It’s one of those names that I just can’t stand :weary: For no real reason though. I think I just don’t like the sound of it.

It does sound a bit dated to me but not unusably so.

My name is [name_f]Erika[/name_f] and I have always loved it. As a kid I loved the meaning (“eternal ruler” or “honorable ruler”). It’s also a type of heather flower in [name_m]German[/name_m]. However, I was born in the 80s and it does have kind of an 80s vibe to me (I’m in the US). :slight_smile:

Stranger Things & The Goldbergs both have Ericas, but they’re both based in the 80s— they made me like the name though.

As someone who didn’t live through the 80s, it doesn’t feel as dated to me as it does to others. I personally think it’s a very strong name with a cool meaning and I wouldn’t blink if someone told me that it was their baby’s name. Plus, she probably won’t have many in her classes.

Maybe the newer generations won’t recognize it as ‘dated’? But the older/slightly older generations will.

I really like [name_f]Erica[/name_f]! It’s a great name! And I’ve known some great Ericas!

I think of [name_f]Erica[/name_f] as a sweet girl with some spunk and sass, reminding me of [name_f]Erica[/name_f] from Stranger Things. While it might be a bit dated, I think a little girl could rock this name today.

I like it! One of my close friends is [name_f]Erika[/name_f], which is obviously pretty similar.