Opinions & advice on a few girl names

Trying to pick name for next girl; husband and I generally like unique (but not weird) and un-american names (I am hungarian and he is originally irish italian). Our first daughter’s name is [name]Karenna[/name] like from [name]Anna[/name] Karenina (not pronounced kareena! A mistake people always make much to my chagrin) and I am trying to find a name for the next one. Here are some top contenders and thoughs:

[name]Genoveva[/name] or [name]Genoveve[/name] - nickname would be [name]Evie[/name], eva.

[name]Valentina[/name] - concern is the nicknames for this; it’s four syllables so bound to get a nickname but I don’t like [name]Tina[/name] and not so sure I like “[name]Val[/name]”

[name]Eva[/name] - too simple? too common? why not get 2 for 1 w/ genoveva?

[name]Katarina[/name] - not sure I like nickname [name]Kat[/name]; too similar to [name]Karenna[/name]?

[name]Evaline[/name] - concerned that people would mispronounce - I would want it to be “Ev-a-leen” but people may say “Ev-a-line” or “[name]Eve[/name]-a-line” or "[name]Eve[/name]-a-leen.

Any thoughts or recommendations much appreciated!!!

My fav are genoveva/genoveve.
You could have “eva” like in “evaline” for nn without the pronounciation problems!! (am having a nightmarre of my own on this one since i am French and Hubby English but hey…lets deal with your post!)

I agree that [name]Katarina[/name] is too similar to [name]Kareena[/name]! I like [name]Kareena[/name]…

[name]Valentina[/name] is also lovely but if you dont like the nn then i wouldnt and as for “eva”, i again agree since i think its more of a nn. I do like long-ish names.

Best of luck

[name]Hi[/name]!

So, your daughter is [name]Karenna[/name] or Karenina? A tad confused…

My favorites are [name]Genoveva[/name] and [name]Valentina[/name]. [name]Genoveva[/name] is so pretty, but it is a bit of a mouthful, so I might prefer [name]Genevieve[/name]. [name]Valentina[/name] is lovely, and you could call her [name]Lena[/name], too. As for the [name]Evaline[/name] and [name]Eva[/name] issues, what about [name]Evangeline[/name]? [name]Karenna[/name] and [name]Evangeline[/name] is gorgeous!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I really like [name]Valentina[/name], and I think it goes well with [name]Karenna[/name]. I don’t quite understand why everyone feels like there absolutely must be a nickname. If you like [name]Valentina[/name], I think she could just be called [name]Valentina[/name] (I don’t like [name]Val[/name] or [name]Tina[/name] either). I know many girls (even little girls) who go by a 3 or 4 syllable name and nobody automatically shortens it, as long as the parents set the precedent of using the full name and gently correcting anyone who shortens it. If you feel like she must have a nickname, the previous suggestion of [name]Lina[/name] might be more appealing to you.

[name]Katarina[/name] - it does seem to similar to [name]Karenna[/name]

[name]Evaline[/name] - I automatically pronounced it the way you wanted when I first saw the name, and I think it’s quite pretty, but it’s quite likely that you will come across people who mispronounce it. It’s somewhat inevitable when you choose names such as you are choosing (but I don’t think that’s a reason not to choose the names, just an unfortunate reality). The mispronunciations of [name]Evaline[/name] don’t seem to horrendous, easily corrected, and then you could have the [name]Eva[/name] nickname.

All in all, [name]Valentina[/name] isn’t likely to be mispronounced, and I’d go with it if you don’t absolutely have to have a nickname. Next, [name]Evaline[/name] is quite pretty and has the lovely [name]Eva[/name] nickname, but there is the likelihood that people will sometimes say it wrong. [name]Both[/name] are very sweet names (as is [name]Karenna[/name]- which btw, seems like a very straightforward pronunciation to me)

My faves are:

[name]Valentina[/name] - I know a girl with this name. It’s a really pretty one. What about the nn [name]Lena[/name]?

[name]Katarina[/name] - I [name]LOVE[/name] THIS. I know someone named this one too. :stuck_out_tongue: I think it’s nice. It matches her sisters name too.

[name]Evaline[/name] - Very nice, it’s not very common in the US too. I don’t think pronunciation will be that much on an issue.

You have very nice names picked out.

I love your daughter’s name, and my favorites with it from your list are [name]Eveline[/name], [name]Genoveva[/name], and [name]Valentina[/name].

Some more you may like with [name]Karenna[/name]:

[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Evelina[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Rosaline[/name]
[name]Raphaela[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I love the names on your list, especially [name]Valentina[/name]

I think [name]Genoveva[/name] is a bit too much - I would go the [name]Genevieve[/name] or [name]Geneva[/name] route. [name]Both[/name] give you the [name]Evie[/name] nn but are a little more polished than [name]Genoveva[/name].

Best of luck to you (and to [name]Karenna[/name]!)

[name]Genoveva[/name] or [name]Genoveve[/name] - nickname would be [name]Evie[/name], eva. - I think this is cute and I prefer the second. [name]Genoveva[/name] just seems a little too much, like you tacked an extra ‘a’ on the end just for the sake of it.

[name]Valentina[/name] - concern is the nicknames for this; it’s four syllables so bound to get a nickname but I don’t like [name]Tina[/name] and not so sure I like “[name]Val[/name]” - I agree with you about the nns. Neither are very flattering. [name]How[/name] about [name]Vallie[/name] or [name]Valli[/name]? I think it is darling!

[name]Eva[/name] - too simple? too common? why not get 2 for 1 w/ genoveva? - I really love the simplicity of [name]Eva[/name], compared to [name]Genoveva[/name] which I find a bit over the top. Very cute, and if you wanted to make it more you could do a double barrel, something like [name]Eva[/name]-[name]Dove[/name]? (You don’t hvaeto use [name]Dove[/name], just a suggestion).

[name]Katarina[/name] - not sure I like nickname [name]Kat[/name]; too similar to [name]Karenna[/name]? - I think this is a bit close to [name]Karenna[/name]. Also, I am a little confused on the pronunciation. Would you pronounce it [name]Kat[/name]-uh-reen-uh or Kuh-treen-uh? I know boths ways.

[name]Evaline[/name] - concerned that people would mispronounce - I would want it to be “Ev-a-leen” but people may say “Ev-a-line” or “[name]Eve[/name]-a-line” or "[name]Eve[/name]-a-leen. - Yes, people may mis-pronounce this. Before I read your comment I said Ev-uh-line. Also, I prefer some of your other names more.

My favourite is [name]Eva[/name]. Good luck! Also, I love your daughter’s name!

Any thoughts or recommendations much appreciated!!![/quote]

I love [name]Genoveva[/name] , [name]Valentina[/name], and [name]Eveline[/name].

THANKS SO MUCH for all of the suggestions and opinions. My sister, like most of you, thinks [name]Genoveva[/name] (as opposed to [name]Genoveve[/name]) is too much. She thinks I add a’s onto names which makes them sound abnoxious. It’s just that it is [name]Genoveva[/name] (not [name]Genoveve[/name]) in Hungarian and [name]Genoveva[/name] would give me the ‘eva’ (which was my grandmother’s name). ANYWAY. Thanks so much for all the opinions. And the other suggestions. Really really do aprpeciate it. I am excited to tell my husband that most all of the names garnered approval!

I think they’re gorgeous names! :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile: