Opinions and pronounciations needed!

[name]Hi[/name] Berries!

I am new here and am really hoping to get some help…

I am just thinking about possible boys names and came across the French names [name]Laurent[/name] and [name]Loic[/name]. I was just wondering what people thought of these names? Are they usuable? I really want to make sure they are usuable for a baby, a boy and a man if that makes sense!!!

A concern I do have is the pronounciation, I am just wondering how most people would pronouce the names in [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name]? I myself would pronounce [name]Laurent[/name] as La-ront and [name]Loic[/name] as Low-ick. I think the correct French pronounciation is La-rahn and Low-eek though??? It’s so confusing!!!

Another option I guess could be [name]Laron[/name] which I have never heard of which is American. I guess this would be pronounced La-ron maybe that would be a better option as it gives a similar sound to [name]Laurent[/name] but maybe without so much pronounciation confusion??? I have also come across [name]Lorant[/name] maybe that could work?? Again not sure of that pronounciation either!! Maybe L-ront??

Anyway enough of my long post!!!

Please let me know of your thoughts and opinions, thanks.

[name]Laurent[/name] is pronounced lo-RAWN and in my experience, [name]Loic[/name] has been a combination of Lo-ick and Lo-eek.

I don’t like [name]Laron[/name] at all. It’s made up and yeah, I don’t like it at all.

I really like [name]Laurent[/name] and [name]Loic[/name]! After taking French for two years, I could definitely say them very easily, but I don’t know how to write down their pronunciations on paper. Your French pronunciations are about as close as I could get for them, and I would definitely keep those spellings. I like [name]Laurent[/name] more than [name]Loic[/name]. If you keep [name]Loic[/name], though, I would add the accent–Loïc.

If you don’t think most people in your area would catch on, maybe use them as MNs? They’re both so lovely.

Good luck!

I’m right outside New [name]York[/name] City and at first glance i would pronounce [name]Laurent[/name] as [name]LORE[/name]-int and [name]Loic[/name] as Loyk. I must not be very cultured. If [name]Loic[/name] had the accent, as mentioned by ashthedreamer though, I would pronounce it low-EEK.

I think Laurant could get pronounced the way that you want it to be, as most people in [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name] would probably see the T and want to say it… I would pronounce [name]Loic[/name] the French way though. The way that you are wanting it to be pronounced seems to need a W, without it I cannot really see it being pronounced in other way. I think both would be better suited as MNs for you.

Loïc is more like Lo-EEK but I think your pronunciations are fine for the states. You can look the names up on forvo.com and see if you can listen to to them if they’re there. I think [name]Laurent[/name] is a nice choice!

[name]Laurent[/name] reminds me immediately of the bad vampire from Twilight…

I would say lore-AWN and think of the perfume/makeup.

[name]Loic[/name] I wouldn’t even try. I’d ask the parent or child how to say the name.

I’d say your French pronunciations are pretty accurate. I think that if you don’t like those pronunciations you should find other options you like more - without having to change the pronunciation.

I would advise against a name that sounds and will likely be pronounced like “[name]Loren[/name].” I know an adult man who is named [name]Loren[/name] and…it’s just a really, really hard name for a boy to grow up with. Maybe times are different now? I like the names, but not in a really use them for a human being sort of way.

In French [name]Laurent[/name] is pronounced Lo- raewn but there is little emphasis on the n and the a is heavy. The t is silent. Being French and having heard many people trying to say it properly, I can tell you not man can lol do id go with a more comfortable Anglo way of selling it. Look up a scene from twilight if you want in heard in English :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the replies, they have been really helpful. After reading all the posts I do feel there will be pronounciation issues which I know will drive me crazy so I have decided to keep them as potential middle names! Thanks again!