Opinions for artsy/camping baby!

My husband and I are trying to conceive…but being a name nerd, I have already been working with him to come up with a short list of names (from my very long list!). Boy or girl, this baby will be surrounded by music, art, and big nature for most of its childhood. For girls I like classic, nature, and feminine names, and I prefer to stay out of the top 100. Husband likes family names; I’m trying to convince him that the middle name is a perfect place for those. I have a much harder time with boy names. I like short and classic, not too masculine, not too feminine. Husband, who is an artist/musician likes more creative names for boys. Last name is one syllable, starts with T. Here’s what we’ve come up with so far. I would very much like your opinions/suggestions!

Girls:

[name]Violet[/name] [name]Lou[/name] (My great grandmother/husband’s grandmother but I worry that [name]Violet[/name] is too popular)

[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]June[/name] (Nod to my brother via Catcher in the [name]Rye[/name]'s kid sis, long story but lots of meaning for me/birth month of my dad, my grandma, my mother-in-law, and hopefully baby!) Concern: can we ever get past phoebe of friends??

[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Luna[/name] (Husband’s suggestion/my dream middle name, also means red moon which has a lot of significance for my hubby and me)

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Allison[/name] (Husband’s suggestion/my maiden name)

Other family names that could be used: [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Jeane[/name], [name]Dee[/name].

Also husband really likes the name [name]Indi[/name], and while I think it’s cute, I don’t really like any names from which that nn could derive…[name]Indianna[/name], MAYBE?

Boys:

(middle name will probably be either [name]Evans[/name], [name]Hyde[/name], or [name]Joseph[/name]…)

[name]Henry[/name] [name]Hyde[/name] (One of the few names I really like, but is it too posh for artsy outdoorsy family? Too popular?)

[name]July[/name] (Husband loves it. I’m having a hard time with it. )

[name]August[/name] (Again husband loves it. Me? Eh. It’s just not classic enough…or is it?)

[name]George[/name] (Maybe. We love [name]George[/name] [name]Harrison[/name], it’s classic…but is it cute? and can i really see it on a 2 yo? a 7 yo? a 16yo?)

[name]Robert[/name] (Nickname [name]Robbie[/name] after husband’s dad)

Thanks for all your help nameberries! I trust your opinions! :wink:

I know a girl who goes by [name]Indi[/name] and it’s short for [name]Indira[/name]. She’s 25 and I recently found out that the woman doctor who delivered me was also named [name]Indira[/name]. It’s a pretty name.

what about [name]Julian[/name] or [name]Jude[/name] instead of [name]July[/name]? [name]Julian[/name] is my number one choice for a boy so maybe i’m biased, but i think it’s a great name. It’s in the top 100 though, the only downside for me.

Hmmm…

I could go for [name]Julian[/name]. Not sure if husband would, but I’ll bring it up. He could possibly still use the nickname [name]July[/name] (like the month) and I like that [name]Julian[/name] could be a doctor or lawyer if he wanted to be (though husband thinks that is so not likely).

What about [name]Indy[/name] for a boy’s name? My hubby suggested it as a girl’s, but I’m just brainstorming here. Is it possible? Is it crazy? Too [name]Indiana[/name] [name]Jones[/name]??

If you like [name]Indy[/name] for a boy, what about [name]Indigo[/name]? I’ve hear it been used on a girl before but I think this sounds very masculine. You could call him [name]Indy[/name] or even Dig.

[name]Violet[/name] [name]Lou[/name] is very sweet and my favorite on your list, but if you’re concerned with popularity, that may not be the way to go. Of the names you provided, I really like the combo [name]June[/name] [name]Allison[/name]. Have you considered [name]Wren[/name] or [name]Sage[/name]? Those two came to mind when you mentioned the nature/artsy theme.

[name]August[/name] [name]Joseph[/name] gets my vote for a boy. [name]George[/name] [name]Augustus[/name] would also be nice.

Would [name]Henry[/name] [name]Hyde[/name] be named after the politician?

[name]Love[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]June[/name]. [name]Don[/name]'t let a silly sitcom ruin a great name. [name]Scarlet[/name] [name]Luna[/name] is lovely too, especially since “red moon” has significance to you. [name]Iris[/name] [name]Allison[/name] is a little lispy, I think.

I like Indgio…but is it too hippy? The only reason I ask is that I am a bit granola-y myself and I don’t want to be too over the top crunchy.

Oh, boy. Definitely not thinking of the politician. [name]Hyde[/name] is husband’s middle name. I liked the alliteration, but hmmm. [name]May[/name] be reconsidering this one…

I agree with the lispiness of [name]Iris[/name] [name]Allison[/name]. It’s not my favorite.

So glad you like [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]June[/name] and [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Luna[/name]!

It’s going to be a challenge to convince husband of [name]Phoebe[/name], but I do love it, and I’ve got time yet!

My only concern with [name]Scarlett[/name] (or [name]Scarlet[/name]) is the availability of nicknames. My pets have always had at least 2, sometimes 3 or 4 nicknames, and I’m quite certain my baby will too! But Scar? Scarly? EEEEK. and not so fond of [name]Lettie[/name] either.

I agree with previous poster, [name]Iris[/name] [name]Allison[/name] is too much “s” for me. [name]June[/name] [name]Allison[/name] would be lovely. I also like [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Luna[/name], but I’m afraid with your last name starting with T that it would run together. Same with [name]Violet[/name] [name]Lou[/name], which [name]Violet[/name] is becoming very popular.

[name]August[/name] is extremely classic as a boys name! I love it. :slight_smile:

I don’t like [name]July[/name] for a boy. It sounds too much like [name]Julie[/name]. [name]Julian[/name] would be a great alternative, and a good not-too-masculine, not-too-feminine compromise I think.

I like [name]George[/name]. I can defintely see a little [name]Georgie[/name] crawling around!

I don’t think of Friends too much with [name]Phoebe[/name] anymore, and I doubt your kid’s classmates will either.

I like [name]Violet[/name], but it is on the popular side. [name]Vivian[/name] is lovely too.

You have some very nice choices. Good luck narrowing down!

I like the sound of [name]June[/name] [name]Allison[/name], but I just picture [name]June[/name] [name]Allyson[/name] of [name]Little[/name] Women, and later, of Depends commercial fame.

I like [name]Wren[/name] too, but I think I prefer a 2 or more syllable first name as last name is only one…

And I think [name]August[/name] is growing on me. What do you think of nn? [name]Augie[/name] or [name]Gus[/name]?

I certainly didn’t intentionally pick first names that end in T, but thanks for pointing that out! I don’t think it will be too much of a problem though as our last name starts with the consonant blend TR and doesn’t have a hard T sound. But it’s something to keep in mind…

You guys are great!

Okay, strike the [name]June[/name] [name]Allison[/name] recommendation! Didn’t make the connection before. So…

Have you considered [name]Junia[/name]? A classic, way underused biblical name. Has the pretty simplicity of [name]June[/name] with a little something more and it goes well with some of your other names. Maybe:

[name]Junia[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Junia[/name] [name]Iris[/name]
[name]Junia[/name] [name]Scarlet[/name]

I like nn [name]Gus[/name] for [name]August[/name]. [name]Augustus[/name] is my son’s middle name , and I love it so much I wish I had saved it or the shorter [name]August[/name] for a first!

I don’t think [name]Indigo[/name] is too hippy and you could pair it with a classic middle name. Btw, I love [name]August[/name].

i’d be wary of henry hyde–he was a rather controversial politician.

if you like the alliteration–would it work the other way around–

hyde henry

controversial is a nice way to put it! but yeah, thanks for reminding me…definitely don’t want a little henry hyde. but i sill love henry, maybe with nn hank.

my other middle name choice is david (as in thoreau).

BUT… david is my dad’s name, and i feel like it would be nice to honor my father in law as it will be his first grandchild.
So…[name]Henry[/name] [name]Robert[/name]? eh? not crazy about it.
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Charles[/name]? sounds too royal. WDYT?

i saw a name list today where someone was using [name]Carlie[/name] or [name]Carly[/name] as a nn for [name]Scarlet[/name]. I’m not sure if you like that, but it’s something that I would have never thought of on my own.

Some names you might like:

[name]Silas[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name]
[name]Julius[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Grady[/name]
[name]Brooks[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Calvin[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]
[name]Corbin[/name]