Opinions for TWINS (!)

I’m having a hard time finalizing names for baby twin boys. We have it narrowed down to a couple of options - either (1) “[name_m]Wesley[/name_m] and [name_m]Joel[/name_m]” or (2) “[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m].” DH prefers the former and I the latter, although both of us adore both options. The feedback we get with (2) seems to be more mixed. Family members in particular seem to think those names are too British/European sounding, especially together. I can see their point, but at the same time I love the sound of “[name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_u]Ollie[/name_u].” I also love [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] and [name_m]Joel[/name_m], and I think “[name_m]Wes[/name_m] and [name_m]Joel[/name_m]” is adorable.

As you can probably tell, we like classic but more uncommon names. I’d love objective input on (1) vs (2), and also opinions for middle names. Please make middle name suggestions if you have other ideas! For reference, ‘[name_m]Pike[/name_m]’ is my Dad’s nickname and ‘[name_m]Paul[/name_m]’ is his real name. ‘[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]’ is a derivative of my maiden name.

(Option 1)

[name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_m]Pike[/name_m] & [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] (we’d probably call [name_m]Wesley[/name_m], ‘[name_m]Wes[/name_m]’ most of the time).
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m] & [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]

(Option 2)

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Pike[/name_m] & [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] (would probably become ‘[name_u]Theo[/name_u]’ and ‘[name_u]Ollie[/name_u]’)
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m] & [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Heath[/name_m]

I actually seem to like [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_m]Wes[/name_m] sound great in my opinion.

I have never been a fan of [name_m]Joel[/name_m], and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] with [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] sounds awkward to me because both have r sounds towards the end.
I also don’t like [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], no offense, the ones I dislike least are:

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Wesley[/name_m]
I like just [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_m]Wes[/name_m] as the given names, if it were my twins, I would choose something more along the lines of [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_m]Weston[/name_m]. I obviously have different taste than you, so overall, if you dislike my suggestions, then I would go with:

[name_m]Wesley[/name_m] and [name_m]Joel[/name_m].

[name_m]Wesley[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] could work to if you make a switch.

I love [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], it is so cute!

I like your middles too, I love those kind of surnamey short boys names like [name_m]Heath[/name_m], [name_m]Pike[/name_m], [name_u]Conn[/name_u], [name_m]Boone[/name_m], [name_m]Rhodes[/name_m], [name_m]Penn[/name_m], [name_m]Ives[/name_m], [name_m]Hayes[/name_m], [name_m]Thane[/name_m] etc

I think [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] are also great nicknames, and they sound really good together

They seem more classic, whereas [name_m]Joel[/name_m] and [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] seem more modern

[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Heath[/name_m] is gorgeous, such an unexpected yet handsome middle id definitely go for that

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Pike[/name_m] or [name_m]Paul[/name_m] both sound great, I prefer [name_m]Pike[/name_m], again because it’s different yet masculine and not trendy

I much prefer [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]. They are classic, and timeless.

I don’t care for [name_m]Joel[/name_m] and [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] as much because [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] can become [name_m]Wes[/name_m], but [name_m]Joel[/name_m] has no NN options.

Wow, what wonderful names! I can see why it’s such a hard decision.
I actually prefer [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] “[name_m]Wes[/name_m]” and [name_m]Joel[/name_m], because I really adore the [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_m]Pike[/name_m] and [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] combos. So handsome and unique! [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] balances [name_m]Joel[/name_m] and [name_m]Pike[/name_m] nicely, but just curious- is it also a family name? Or just a favorite? Have you considered doing
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_m]Pike[/name_m] “[name_m]Wes[/name_m]” & [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] “JT
That way they each have a nickname. (Although [name_m]Joel[/name_m] also stands well on its own.)

I think the best combos you’ve made are [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Heath[/name_m] “Oliie” and [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_m]Pike[/name_m] “[name_m]Wes[/name_m].” They are handsome, distinctive, have perfect rhythm, and both have built-in nicknames. They would be a lovely “compromise” sib set as well, since that way you and your hubby each get one name you love.

I like option (2) [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_u]Ollie[/name_u]. I also like [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Pike[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Heath[/name_m] as full names. Either set could be great, but (2) seems more classic in my opinion.

Good luck with your choice and with your boys!

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] by far…

[name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] are great, but [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] sounds a bit demented to me–like a term of derision.

I love all options, but I’m voting for [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] and [name_m]Joel[/name_m] because, although [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] are wonderful, I feel [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] and [name_m]Joel[/name_m] are more unexpected right now and less common. I like both options for middle names. Is [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] a family name? I like it, but if it’s not I think I would choose [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]. However, I love the idea of using your father’s nickname, so I would mix-and-match and do [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] and [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_m]Pike[/name_m].

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Pike[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Heath[/name_m]
or
[name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m] and [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]

personally I prefer [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Pike[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Heath[/name_m]

ashleyjuliette thanks for the honest feedback! We did consider [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] & [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] and it’s still a possibility. I like the sounds of [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_m]Wes[/name_m] together, but I’d still go with the original names just so they would have the option of going by those when they’re older.

gr19 Funny because I didn’t think of [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] and [name_m]Joel[/name_m] as modern names, but a friend of mine said the same thing. I just don’t want trendy names, which I don’t think either of these are. [name_m]Joel[/name_m] in particular seems so handsome and underused.

mulme944 [name_m]Joel[/name_m] is hard to find a middle name for! [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] actually isn’t a family name, it’s just a name that we both love and might have used as a first name if it weren’t a bit too common. We’ve also considered [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_m]Christopher[/name_m]. There just doesn’t seem to be a family name that flows well with [name_m]Joel[/name_m], except maybe [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]. JT is cute nn possibility that I hadn’t thought of! I actually love [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Heath[/name_m] and [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_m]Pike[/name_m]. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t know if that would work because DH’s favorite if [name_m]Joel[/name_m], so if we chose [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] he’d probably want to use the original combo. But we’re still deciding!

jtay07 Good point about [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] and [name_m]Joel[/name_m] being less popular right now. It seems like [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] especially is getting to be pretty common. [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] isn’t a family name, but for some reason 3 syllable names seem to flow better with [name_m]Joel[/name_m], at least in my opinion. Still really torn on that one. We’re also having a hard time deciding between [name_m]Paul[/name_m] and [name_m]Pike[/name_m]. [name_m]Pike[/name_m] is more unique and spunky, but we also love the biblical connotation that comes with [name_m]Paul[/name_m]. So who knows!

I really like [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] & [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], but the suggestion of [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] & [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] good too. [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] & [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] sound nice together as well.

My favourites as individuals are [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] & [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] and my least favourite is [name_m]Joel[/name_m]. So my choice would be [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] & [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] “[name_u]Theo[/name_u] & [name_m]Wes[/name_m]”. Otherwise, I would pick [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] & [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] “[name_u]Theo[/name_u] & [name_u]Ollie[/name_u]”. [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] is super cute too, [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] is just soooo common, and [name_m]Wes[/name_m] is so fun! [name_m]Joel[/name_m] is just really not my style. I think if twin A gets a family name, twin B should as well!

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] & [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] sound very British to me, but I’m hearing them all the time at the moment living in the UK. I actually know of twin boys named [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] & [name_u]Theo[/name_u] so I can see them becoming a popular pairing to be honest. If popularity doesn’t bother you then [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] & [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] are gorgeous. However, the more unique, less common pairing are [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] & [name_m]Joel[/name_m] and I actually think they are super cute together.

I think [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] & [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] would be great!

I like the idea of [name_m]Joel[/name_m] & [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] too - maybe [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] & [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Wesley[/name_m]?

I personally prefer [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], but have to agree that they are definitely the more popular of your pairings. [name_m]Joel[/name_m] and [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] are more unexpected. I do really like the suggestion of [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] a lot! You each get a name from your favorite combo and [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_m]Wes[/name_m] sound great together!

I second this. I am really loving [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] nn [name_u]Theo[/name_u] at the moment, but [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] has been one of my favorites for years, so I might be a little biased. The only name I’m not keen on is [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], and I’ve heard it popping up a lot lately, if that matters.

I really don’t think you can go wrong. I think last name and potential future sibling names would influence me in the end. I would just make sure the syllables are balanced: [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] and [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m] instead of [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_m]Paul[/name_m] and [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], for example.

And although [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] are my two favorites from the list, I actually prefer the pairings you have. [name_u]Theo[/name_u]/[name_u]Ollie[/name_u] and [name_m]Joel[/name_m]/[name_m]Wes[/name_m] have the right feel to complement the other, while [name_u]Theo[/name_u] and [name_m]Wes[/name_m] sound kind of off together [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

My favourites are [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] [name_m]Pike[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u], or [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] if [name_u]James[/name_u] doesn’t honour anyone. That way both boys would have a mn that honours family. Great choices!

Thanks everyone for your wonderful feedback! You’ve definitely given us a lot to think about.

sheflieswithherownwings I am concerned about the heavy European feel of [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]. Normally it wouldn’t bother me, but the names together might sound a bit extreme. DH is also worried that those names will sound a bit pretentious. It’s been such a hard call - every time we get close to making a final decision one of us starts to have doubts and we have to backtrack haha. I like your suggestion of [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. We definitely want at least one boy to have either [name_m]Paul[/name_m] or [name_m]Pike[/name_m] as a middle.

peacebird10 I agree about your opinions re [name_m]Wes[/name_m]/[name_m]Joel[/name_m] and [name_u]Theo[/name_u]/[name_u]Ollie[/name_u] being the best-sounding combinations. I like the way [name_u]Theo[/name_u]/[name_m]Wes[/name_m] sounds as well, but DH doesn’t. He thinks they just sound like two completely different style of names.

Thanks again everyone for sharing your thoughts, it is very much appreciated.

If you’re looking for uncommon, I have to echo PPs and say that [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] aren’t uncommon at all, especially the last few years. I know 5 baby Theos and 3 baby Olivers. Only 1 [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] and no Joels. I love the previous suggestion of [name_m]Wesley[/name_m] [name_m]Pike[/name_m] and [name_m]Joel[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] so they each have a nn ([name_m]Wes[/name_m] and JT.)

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]!

I really don’t like [name_m]Joel[/name_m], sorry.