Opinions on a Few Names -- Please be Honest!

[name]Hi[/name] everyone,

I’d like some honest opinions on these names! I don’t know how well they work or what the general public thinks of them but I thought I’d run it by you berries.

[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Keturah[/name]
[name]Magdalen[/name]
[name]Ola[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Ocean[/name]
[name]Verity[/name]
[name]Snow[/name]
[name]Lux[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Verbena[/name]

A few combinations I like:
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Camille[/name]
[name]Magdalen[/name] [name]Lux[/name]
[name]Harper[/name] [name]Snow[/name]
[name]Verbena[/name] [name]Ocean[/name]
[name]Calla[/name] [name]Snow[/name]
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Ocean[/name]
[name]Keturah[/name] [name]Harper[/name]
[name]Verbena[/name] [name]Lux[/name]

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I like:

[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Verity[/name]
[name]Lux[/name]

I like these combos:
[name]Verbena[/name] [name]Lux[/name]

[name]Paloma[/name] - pretty Spanish name with a great meaning “dove”

[name]Keturah[/name] - an underused Biblical gem.

[name]Magdalen[/name] - Another Biblical name which is less common than [name]Madeline[/name]/[name]Madelyn[/name].

[name]Ola[/name] - A Scandinavian name that reminds me of the Spanish word for hello !Hola!

[name]Camille[/name] - Soft, feminine and lovely.

[name]Harper[/name] - Harsh sounding and trendy

[name]Stella[/name] - A vintage name with spunk and sass

[name]Ocean[/name] - better on a boy. [name]Oceana[/name] or the French Océane is ok for a girl.

[name]Verity[/name] - I love this word name that means “truth”. It sparkles! :slight_smile:

[name]Snow[/name] - I like it better in the middle spot

[name]Lux[/name] - A brand of soap better in the middle.

[name]Calla[/name] - A gorgeous flower name and it’s not too common

[name]Verbena[/name] - This nature name is ok but I prefer [name]Calla[/name]

[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Camille[/name] - [name]Love[/name]
[name]Magdalen[/name] [name]Lux[/name] - back-to-back l’s. What about [name]Magdalen[/name] [name]Snow[/name]?
[name]Harper[/name] [name]Snow[/name] - Ok
[name]Verbena[/name] [name]Ocean[/name] - This combo flows well but it’s too wordy.
[name]Calla[/name] [name]Snow[/name] - This sounds lovely but it’s heavy on the word names.
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Ocean[/name] - Sounds nice but it’s too wordy. I think one word name per combo is enough.
[name]Keturah[/name] [name]Harper[/name] - too much “er/ur”
[name]Verbena[/name] [name]Lux[/name] - OK

I like: [name]Keturah[/name], [name]Magdalene[/name], [name]Camile[/name], [name]Lux[/name], and [name]Snow[/name]'s a bit of a GP.

[name]Magdalen[/name] [name]Lux[/name] is nice, but I like the E at the end. It feels complete.

I’ve bolded the ones I particularly like. (PS - when it comes to honesty, I can be a bit brutal…I just type what first comes to mind)

[name]Paloma[/name] - sounds like a middle-aged lady, who goes by [name]Pam[/name], standing by some palm trees
[name]Keturah[/name] - sounds ghetto
[name]Magdalen[/name] - [name]Magdalena[/name] makes it sound less like a place and more like a name
[name]Ola[/name] - Ooh la la!
[name]Camille[/name] - part [name]Vanille[/name], part [name]Camilla[/name], all French until you shorten it to [name]Cami[/name], making it adorable :slight_smile:
[name]Harper[/name] - I will forever harp on how this is not my favorite name, despite the [name]Harper[/name] [name]Lee[/name] connection
[name]Stella[/name] - not so stellar to me; feels a bit showy
[name]Ocean[/name] - Atlantic or [name]Pacific[/name]?
[name]Verity[/name] - apprently this gets mispronounced as Variety (especially Southern accent I could see). Would prefer [name]Vera[/name] or [name]Veronica[/name], but this is still very pretty.
[name]Snow[/name] - shivers
[name]Lux[/name] - good lucks!
[name]Calla[/name] - Wanted a [name]Callie[/name] but didn’t know how to get it
[name]Verbena[/name] - Verbally, not very pretty

For these I’m focusing on flow, since almost all of your names I dislike:
[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Camille[/name] - a bit heavy on the “m” and “l”, but at least they’re both names
[name]Magdalen[/name] [name]Lux[/name] - I’m a fan of one-syllable middle names, so this flows nicely
[name]Harper[/name] [name]Snow[/name] - Two word names in one…is a little much, I feel
[name]Verbena[/name] [name]Ocean[/name] - Something’s putting me off…maybe the “n”?
[name]Calla[/name] [name]Snow[/name] - callus no is another way to prnounce this
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Ocean[/name] - see [name]Harper[/name] [name]Snow[/name], but this one is much, much prettier. So much so that I like it.
[name]Keturah[/name] [name]Harper[/name] - [name]Harper[/name] starts with the same sound as [name]Keturah[/name], making them smush together
[name]Verbena[/name] [name]Lux[/name] - better than [name]Verbena[/name] [name]Ocean[/name], but I prefer Magdelen [name]Lux[/name]

[name]Paloma[/name] - cool, but one time a commenter here on the boards mentioned it reminded them of a tumor… since -oma is a suffix added to names of cancers (carcinoma, etc.). Yikes. I can’t shake that imagery now.
[name]Keturah[/name] - really cool! What does it mean?
[name]Magdalen[/name] - I like that it’s a unique full name for a [name]Maggie[/name], but I tend not to like full names that aren’t very wearable on their own. [name]Magdalen[/name] is kind of a mouthful.
[name]Ola[/name] - Spanish-speaking person saying “hello.” Not a fan.
[name]Camille[/name] - classic and seems underused today, without checking its top 1000 status.
[name]Harper[/name] - an “original” name that isn’t at all anymore. [name]Way[/name], way too trendy.
[name]Stella[/name] - a classic making a pretty strong comeback. Seems like lots of celebs have chosen it. Too commonly used today for my taste, but it is a nice name.
[name]Ocean[/name] - agree with pp that if you’re gonna go there you need to make it feminine, a la [name]Oceane[/name]. I’d prefer to see it as a mn.
[name]Verity[/name] - It makes me think of [name]Jesus[/name]. “Verily I say unto you…” Doesn’t seem like a name to me.
[name]Snow[/name] - cool as a mn. I don’t really like it as a first. Unless there were a cool story behind it… like it was a freak snowstorm on the day of her birth, or mom and dad met on the ski slopes or something.
[name]Lux[/name] - Getting trendy. I’m okay with it as a mn.
[name]Calla[/name] - I think someone saw that blog post the other day with several of these names, huh? :smiley: This is a great one from that list. Very unique without being too out-there. Great choice. [name]Hope[/name] it stays uncommon!
[name]Verbena[/name] - Could see it as a mn. [name]Don[/name]'t like the sound of it for a first.

[name]Paloma[/name]- I love the meaning and very pretty.
[name]Keturah[/name]- sounds a little made-up to me.
[name]Magdalen[/name]- nice but I prefer Magdelena.
[name]Ola[/name]- makes me think of hola.
[name]Camille[/name]- personally I find it borders on pretentious.
[name]Harper[/name]- I like this a lot- it’s really spunky and fun and not frilly.
[name]Stella[/name]- dreamy and sweet and makes me think of constellations.
[name]Ocean[/name]- not a huge fan.
[name]Verity[/name]- I like [name]Vera[/name] better.
[name]Snow[/name]- very cool and I love how I imagine snowflakes when I hear it.
[name]Lux[/name]- sounds too much like an attempt to sound upscale.
[name]Calla[/name]- sounds very elegant and similar to [name]Ella[/name] but more grown up.
[name]Verbena[/name]- I like [name]Verena[/name] better. I feel like the b is a little out-of-place.

Overall, this is a beautiful list! Some real gems on here.

[name]Paloma[/name] - stunning. This has caught my eye recently. I think it’s unusual, but so classy and beautiful.

[name]Keturah[/name] - again, very classy and beautiful, strong roots and unique sound.

[name]Magdalen[/name] - beautiful. Maybe a [name]TAD[/name] obviously biblical for me, but I do enjoy it. I think I prefer Magdelena.

[name]Ola[/name] - I can’t get on board with this. I live in a heavily Hispanic area and it sounds exactly like Hola.

[name]Camille[/name] - beautiful.

[name]Harper[/name] - dislike. This feels masculine and uber trendy for me.

[name]Stella[/name] - sweet, spunky, vintage.

[name]Ocean[/name] - I like this, but I think I prefer [name]Oceane[/name].

[name]Verity[/name] - one of my all time favorites. It’s got sass, but still feels very sophisticated.

[name]Snow[/name] - I don’t think I love this up front - I feel like it may suit the middle slot better.

[name]Lux[/name] - Same as [name]Snow[/name], but I do see the appeal of this up front. I remember seeing Luxilie before, I don’t know if thats something you would like or not.

[name]Calla[/name] - I like this. It feels grounded and approachable, but still sweet and unusual.

[name]Verbena[/name] - I quite like this. It’s very different, but has a sweet, earthy feel.

[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Camille[/name] - perfet
[name]Verbena[/name] [name]Lux[/name] - love

I love the names:

[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Ocean[/name]
[name]Verity[/name]
[name]Snow[/name]
[name]Lux[/name]

I’m not crazy about any of the combos, sorry.

[name]Paloma[/name], [name]Camille[/name] and [name]Calla[/name] are absolutely gorgeous.
[name]Ocean[/name] is pretty, but maybe [name]Oceane[/name] or [name]Oceana[/name]? ([name]Oceane[/name], with an accent over the first e, is pronounced Oh-say-on).
[name]Lux[/name], [name]Snow[/name] and [name]Verity[/name] are cool.

[name]Stella[/name] is overdone imo, as well as [name]Harper[/name].

I dislike [name]Keturah[/name], [name]Magdalen[/name] ([name]WAY[/name] too clunky for my taste), [name]Ola[/name], and [name]Verbena[/name].

Names that [name]IMO[/name] are viable from your list:
[name]Magdalen[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this name so elegant and pretty.
[name]Ola[/name] - Spunky and underused.
[name]Camille[/name] - I’m a sucker for a little [name]Millie[/name].
[name]Harper[/name] - Not my favorite name but still viable.
[name]Stella[/name] - This name is okay a little over loved. [name]Do[/name] you like [name]Estelle[/name]/a as well?
[name]Ocean[/name] - A more modern day name.
[name]Verity[/name] - I like [name]Vera[/name] as a nn to this as well. It’s pretty.
[name]Snow[/name] - Makes me think of [name]Snow[/name] White. Not a bad thing though.
[name]Lux[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this name if you have a really blonde girl.
[name]Calla[/name] - [name]Just[/name] don’t make the middle name [name]Lily[/name].

Your combinations that I think flow well:

[name]Paloma[/name] _ a recent favorite. [name]Paloma[/name] still seems unusual to me though it’s fairly popular and recognizable.
Keturah_ despite it’s history this seems made up to me.
Magdalen_ prefer [name]Magdalena[/name]
Ola_ Prefer [name]Ora[/name] or [name]Oona[/name]. The first two more as nn’s.
Camille_nms.
Harper_nms. In theory I like it, in actuality it seems just out of my grasp of apprechiation.
Stella_nms. I work PT in a restaurant to pay my way through school - I hear [name]Stella[/name] and think Beer.
Ocean_ beautiful word.
Verity_ neat. Could be a nice mn.
Snow_ kind of cool but it wants me to ask if she will have seven little brothers or dogs or cats.
Lux_ again in theory I like it. But I keep thinking it’s a nn for Luxury and that seems pretentious.
Calla_ [name]Love[/name] [name]Calla[/name] would actually think it was a really cool nature name combo if it were combined with Liliy = [name]Calla[/name] Liliy.
[name]Verbena[/name] _ I think [name]Tea[/name]. Once again working at a restaurant probably doesn’t help.

[name]Paloma[/name] [name]Camille[/name] - nms.
[name]Magdalen[/name] [name]Lux[/name] - I’d prefer [name]Magdalena[/name] [name]Lux[/name].
[name]Harper[/name] [name]Snow[/name] - too wordy for me. (As in too many actual words).
[name]Verbena[/name] [name]Ocean[/name] - nms.
[name]Calla[/name] [name]Snow[/name] - I’d prefer [name]Calla[/name] [name]Lily[/name] or [name]Calla[/name] [name]Paloma[/name].
[name]Verity[/name] [name]Ocean[/name] - prefer this to [name]Verbena[/name] [name]Ocean[/name].
[name]Keturah[/name] [name]Harper[/name] - dnms.
[name]Verbena[/name] [name]Lux[/name] - I don’t love either name individually so the combo falls a little flat.

[name]Man[/name], some of you are being super harsh! I guess it does say to be honest.

[name]Paloma[/name]~Mi nombre en la clase de espanol. Sorry, I can’t do accents on this computer… Anyways, beautiful name, and I can say from experience that it’s very wearable.
[name]Keturah[/name]~Bible-yyyyyyyy. Not a good thing in my book, but if you’re into that sorta thing…Also I always call my cats Kitusha, and it reminds me of that. But I guess that’s only a problem for me.
[name]Magdalen[/name]~Ditto. Except even more Bible-y.
[name]Ola[/name]~Hola to you too! Ok unless you live in an area with a lot of Spanish speakers.
[name]Camille[/name]~It’s sweet and lacy. I’m not a lacy girl, but it isn’t bad.
[name]Harper[/name]~I don’t mind it, but I do hear it a lot.
[name]Stella[/name]~Solid. Nothing bad about it. Not wildly amazing either.
[name]Ocean[/name]~Awesome in the middle, as are [name]Snow[/name] and [name]Lux[/name]. Pretty out there in the front spot, and I love out there names.
[name]Verity[/name]~A bit upper crust, but it’s still pretty.
[name]Verbena[/name]~Interesting nature name that I hadn’t heard of before. I like it.

None of them are bad. There’s some I like more than others, but they’re all fine names. Your combos all work together to me.

LOL - who was harsh?

…ahem…jame1881, that was kinda directed toward you…
I get it though, some people have strong opinions. No hate. :slight_smile:

[name]Hi[/name] guys! Thanks so much for the opinions. I did say honest opinions and appreciate even the harsh ones! Taking away from this, I really like [name]Paloma[/name] and [name]Calla[/name]. I still like [name]Magdalen[/name] and [name]Ola[/name] though some didn’t – as well as [name]Verity[/name]. Thanks for all the opinions! I think [name]Ocean[/name] is a little out there, and [name]Stella[/name] and [name]Harper[/name] are too popular, especially [name]Harper[/name], which I’ve decided is too brash and too popular. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP! :slight_smile:

[name]Paloma[/name]

• nms but it has a nice sound to it

[name]Keturah[/name]

• not exactly sure how prn it but it’s interesting notheless

[name]Magdalen[/name]

• very pretty

[name]Ola[/name]

• nms

[name]Camille[/name]

• pretty and femenine

[name]Harper[/name]

• nms, too trendy imo

[name]Stella[/name]

• love this, vintage and so so cute

[name]Ocean[/name]

• one of the more usuable nature names

[name]Verity[/name]

• i think it’s very pretty

[name]Snow[/name]

• nms, unlike [name]Ocean[/name] it just doesn’t seem like an actual name

[name]Lux[/name]

• nms but really cool

[name]Calla[/name]

• more unique than [name]Callie[/name]/[name]Kallie[/name], reminds me of [name]Calla[/name] Lillies :slight_smile:

[name]Verbena[/name]

• nms, not sure how to prn it, Vur-bee-nuh?

Combos:

• nice flow

• really cool sound and i like both names

• very pretty

[name]Verbena[/name] [name]Ocean[/name]

• not sure about prn but it’s spunky which is fun haha

• don’t really like these as a combo, sounds imcomplete

• love this

[name]Keturah[/name] [name]Harper[/name]

• pretty cool

[name]Verbena[/name] [name]Lux[/name]-prn, but it probably sounds good

You have lots of interesting names :slight_smile:

[name]Paloma[/name] - not a fan, unless it has a good middle name
[name]Keturah[/name] - horrid as a first, alright as a middle
[name]Magdalen[/name] - reminds me of a megalodon shark, not good
[name]Ola[/name] - Pretty, but a bit old fashioned and no nice nicknames
[name]Camille[/name] - gorgeous and feminine, lovely name
[name]Harper[/name] - one of my favourite names, gorgeous on a little girl or adult
[name]Stella[/name] - gorgeous, beautiful, stunning name and perfect for anyone from baby to grandma
[name]Ocean[/name] - Ok, but I’m not a fan of nature names
[name]Verity[/name] - gorgeous. Nn might be difficult but with such a pretty name it’s alright
[name]Snow[/name] - nature name (bleh), ugly, I’m Canadian and we tend to not like the snow so she would be awkward in [name]Canada[/name]
[name]Lux[/name] - gorgeous, daughter of 1Ds stylist [name]Lou[/name]. [name]Love[/name] it even with the difficult nickname sitch
[name]Calla[/name] - lovely version of [name]Callie[/name]
[name]Verbena[/name] - just no.

[name]Love[/name] all your combos except [name]Verbena[/name] [name]Ocean[/name].

Best of [name]Luck[/name]

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Paloma[/name] - if I were to have a child, I would seriously consider this name. I love that it means dove and so can signify peace. I also really love [name]Calla[/name] - growing up, that was a #1 name for me for a very long time. I like [name]Ocean[/name] and [name]Snow[/name] as well, because I like quirky nature names. [name]Lux[/name] is pretty great too. The others don’t interest me much.

[name]Paloma[/name] I love the liquid flow, [name]Picasso[/name] reference, and associations of this name (peace). In Spanish, however, this isn’t considered a name any more than [name]Dove[/name] is in English. I think it’s great with [name]Camille[/name].
[name]Keturah[/name] this is a Jewish wedding contract-- a scroll. I dislike the sound of it as well.
[name]Magdalen[/name] beautiful-- whether pronounced “maudlin” or “mag da lyn.” elegant and underused.
[name]Ola[/name] I do not care for this. It strikes me as part of the very simple family of names popular at the turn of the last century, such as [name]Ida[/name] or [name]Ada[/name]. I think it lacks substance and panache, and the closest name I can think of to it is the male Norwegian name [name]Ole[/name].
[name]Camille[/name] beautiful, sophisticated and underused.
[name]Harper[/name] the popularity of this name continues to escape me. I don’t like its sound or its occupational origins for a girl.
[name]Stella[/name] [name]Stella[/name] is a star. Beautiful.
[name]Ocean[/name] I prefer nature names to be more subtle-- if you want to evoke the sea, why not [name]Nereida[/name] or [name]Maris[/name]?
[name]Verity[/name] a winner of a virtue name, but unfortunately difficulty to enunciate. Most people hear “verde.”
[name]Snow[/name] again, I dislike common nouns for names, and the overt nature word-names. If you must, Snowdon sounds better to my ear. The Welsh word “eir” leads to some beautiful names-- Eirlys, Eirias, [name]Arian[/name], [name]Arianwen[/name].
[name]Lux[/name] certainly evocative (brings to mind lux perpetua), but I prefer the centuries-old female light names like [name]Lucienne[/name] or Lucija.
[name]Calla[/name] pretty (literally), and a more subtle botanical. I like the longer greek kall- names as well ([name]Calantha[/name], [name]Calandra[/name], [name]Callista[/name]).
[name]Verbena[/name] isn’t this some sort of climbing vine? The sounds seems firmly out of date (“erb” is just not pretty to the ear.)