Opinions on a few names...

I’d like to see what your thoughts are on these names and which is prefer?

[name]Eowyn[/name] (ay-O-win)
[name]Arwen[/name]

I realize both of these are from the [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings movies, which I’ve actually never even watched and am not a fan of… but for some reason, these names just appeal to me.

I think I may prefer [name]Eowyn[/name] because [name]Arwen[/name] sounds a little more harsh to me for a girl, but I can’t find any information on [name]Eowyn[/name] other than from the movie so maybe it was just made up for that?

Any help is appreciated! :slight_smile:

I am not sure what I think of them honestly…at first I really thought they were beautiful too when I watched the films, but then after giving the names some serious thought, I sort of think they sound a little bizarre. I think part of my problem is that my name is [name]Erin[/name]. And I think [name]Eowyn[/name] sounds like a baby saying [name]Erin[/name]. But, I am just one opinion…I think if you love them, you should use them!

I prefer [name]Eowyn[/name], although I think it will bring on some pronunciation issues for people, like myself, are not familiar with [name]Lord[/name] of the Rings. It has a beautiful, melodic sound though. I agree with you that [name]Arwen[/name] is a little harsh for a girl.

LOL Sisterforc, I never thought of [name]Eowyn[/name] that way… and now I will never think of it the same way again.

I think you might regret it if your kids’ namesake is one that you aren’t a fan of and maybe don’t even want to be affiliated with. The kids would be associated with the series no matter what; I think it might bother you and your kids. Of course you could go read the books and end up becoming a huge fan with three daughters named [name]Eowyn[/name], [name]Arwen[/name] and Galadriel.

I wouldn’t choose either myself but I suppose I prefer [name]Eowyn[/name] since it does have a softer sound. [name]Arwen[/name] sounds nice when the elves say it but I am afraid that humans can’t do it justice. =p

In another thread right now, [name]Anwen[/name] and Elowen are up for consideration

in the event you want a “real” name with the same sound and feel. As seen there, though, you’ll probably still get reactions of “fantasy name”. It’s not fair - the fantasy names are based on Welsh and other real names, not the other way round!

Hahahahaha I agree with pp, I never thought of that, but just as pp says, now I’ll never think of it the same way again!

I actually like the way [name]Eowyn[/name] sounds better but I think [name]Arwen[/name] would be a better choice simply for pn.