Opinions on adjective/value names

What are your opinions on names like P@tience and J0y? If you have one, what is it and do you like it? Do the bearers of these names recieve flack for it? There’s a stigma I’ve heard of where if you name your kid something that describes something, they end up the exact opposite.
Imo, I think the stigma is dumb, but I also don’t have a “descriptive” name. I’d like to hear what you think!

I relate names like J0y and hope to the values of the parents. I.e. the parents joy or the parents hope. I could see the argument that patience and [name_f]Prudence[/name_f] could be weird if your always late or short-tempered, but I love names like that! [name_f]Temperance[/name_f], [name_u]Happy[/name_u] and patience are some of my favorites!

1 Like

I should also clarify some words are used so little that I don’t think the value is connected like [name_f]Verity[/name_f] and [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] etc.

2 Likes

I didn’t even know Verity and Felicity were value names! I agree with everything you said., my favourite names are Patience, Joy and Grace.

1 Like

I know kids named [name_u]True[/name_u], [name_f]Patience[/name_f], [name_u]Valor[/name_u], [name_u]Noble[/name_u], [name_u]Peace[/name_u], and many others! They tend to be lovely people, so I don’t think their names have changed them in any material way. Parenting has a whole lot more to do with that. I like virtue names in general.

1 Like

I only know someone named J0y and she really fits her name, she really is a joy. Literally. She had all the chances in the world to not end up like her name but nope. So I think that virtue/adjective names aren’t really gonna change how a child “ends up”. I love virtue names!

1 Like

I like a few adjective/value names. I think my favorites are [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] (means happiness) , [name_u]Harmony[/name_u], [name_u]Love[/name_u] (as a middle name), [name_u]True[/name_u], and [name_f]Joy[/name_f], & I think [name_f]Sassy[/name_f] and [name_f]Lady[/name_f] are super cute as nicknames. I like [name_f]Prudence[/name_f], but think it would best fit someone with a very specific personality. I think [name_f]Precious[/name_f] is adorable, and I’ve heard [name_f]Charity[/name_f] once before, and I think it’s kinda cute. I have met so many people named [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Patience[/name_f], [name_f]Hope[/name_f], and [name_f]Faith[/name_f] that I don’t have as much interest in those names because they feel kind of basic to me, but there’s nothing wrong with them inherently, and they are pretty. I don’t like [name_u]Valor[/name_u], [name_u]Noble[/name_u], [name_u]Hero[/name_u], or [name_f]Chastity[/name_f], because I just don’t like the sounds in [name_u]Valor[/name_u], [name_u]Noble[/name_u], and [name_u]Hero[/name_u], and [name_f]Chastity[/name_f] sounds pretty, but I think it’s weird to use [name_f]Chastity[/name_f] because of the meaning. I would definitely use the name [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] as a first or middle name and [name_u]Love[/name_u] as a middle name, and I would consider [name_u]Harmony[/name_u] or [name_f]Joy[/name_f] as a middle name if I liked the way it sounded with a different first name. I would also use [name_f]Sassy[/name_f] or [name_f]Lady[/name_f] as a nickname if I thought it was a cute nickname for their firstname (ex. [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] “Sassy” / [name_u]Sasha[/name_u] “Sassy” / [name_f]Lana[/name_f] “Lady”). [name_u]Penny[/name_u] [name_u]Lane[/name_u] from Almost [name_u]Famous[/name_u] makes me even want to consider [name_f]Lady[/name_f] as a first name, because I thought it was so cute on her.

1 Like

It can be a problem, I knew a little girl named [name_f]Grace[/name_f] who was the clumsiest person in the class :laughing: and my friend has a cat named [name_f]Joy[/name_f] who is incredibly vicious, haha. But those are just anecdotal examples and I’m sure don’t represent the majority of people with this kind of name. I prefer the more subtle varieties like [name_f]Verity[/name_f], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_u]Blythe[/name_u], [name_u]Pax[/name_u] personally.

1 Like

Two of my kids have word/virtue names and they both fit them perfectly!

2 Likes

I think the less common the virtue name, the more challenging it would probably be, with the exception of names like [name_f]Felicity[/name_f] that aren’t commonly used words.

I think [name_f]Patience[/name_f] would be very difficult to live with, but it could easily least to [name_f]Patti[/name_f] for a nickname at least.

I think [name_f]Joy[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Faith[/name_f], [name_f]Hope[/name_f], etc, are used enough as names that the word association is not very difficult.

1 Like

I love these sorts of names! I think they’re exciting and delightful. Totally usable and totally lovely—no matter how a child grows to be, I think. All names have meanings, no matter how subtle, and I think virtue names are beautiful reminders of internal gifts. They’ve always got a way to be the right meaning, I think, since their meanings can be so varied. A [name_f]Grace[/name_f] could be klutzy but may also be forgiving. A [name_u]Peace[/name_u] may be rambunctious but may also oppose violence.

1 Like

It’s not about stigma, for me, it’s about the expectations that surround them? Something like [name_f]Joy[/name_f] or [name_f]Verity[/name_f] or [name_f]Faith[/name_f] is fine, since people just think of them as names. But when I hear something like [name_f]Patience[/name_f], [name_f]Chastity[/name_f], [name_f]Obedience[/name_f], [name_u]Noble[/name_u], etcetera, it rubs me the wrong way. I don’t want the name I give my child to feel like I’m trying to convey an expectation.

1 Like

When I was pregnant with my son, the midwife I had my prenatal appointments with was called [name_f]Joy[/name_f], and she was the most grumpy person I had ever met so “Joy the miserable midwife” became a bit of a joke in our house…

I’m not sure if that puts me off names like this or not. :smile: It’s probably not a big deal most of the time!

1 Like

my name is hope! i love my name. i’ve never received any sort of flack for my name, and i personally haven’t had the experience of feeling like i need to live up to my name and constantly be hopeful. it often serves as a lovely reminder when i am feeling lost or upset. a lot of people have told me i suit my name very well, so i can’t speak on that stigma about virtue names. i also think the stigma you’re talking about is a little silly! nobody can be joyful, hopeful, truthful etc, 100% of the time.

3 Likes

I have an H0n0r in my family. At first everyone thought it was strange, but now that we’ve gotten used to it we love her name <3

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite virtue names are [name_f]Hope[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Joy[/name_f] and [name_f]Faith[/name_f]. They are well-established as names, so I don’t think anyone will question it. I particularly love [name_f]Faith[/name_f], but it doesn’t have to be a religious faith it stands for. You can have faith in love, friendship, nature, humanity etc. [name_f]Virtue[/name_f] names are fine and I don’t think they carry any kind of stigma. [name_m]Just[/name_m] don’t choose [name_f]Chastity[/name_f]. That would be awful.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughters middle name is [name_u]Blessing[/name_u]. This was my “you are not allowed to veto this name” option with my husband. [name_f]My[/name_f] thought process wasn’t to set some sort of expectation on her but in our world today where there can be such negative noise towards girls I wanted my daughter to have that constant reminder that to us, to [name_m]God[/name_m] and to countless others she IS a blessing. She loves her middle name and often includes jt when she introduces / references herself to others. If we ever have another girl, I’m pretty much sold on [name_f]Joy[/name_f] being the middle to allow for the same reminder… I just dislike how it’s seen as such a filler middle.

6 Likes

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] is a beautiful name!

:pleading_face: [name_u]Blessing[/name_u] is so sweet

I knew a [name_f]Chastity[/name_f], she was nice, her mom on the other hand… yeah, imo , [name_f]Chastity[/name_f] is almost/equal to T@lula does the hula from hawaii