Opinions on Alfie?

My husband REALLY LOVES the name [name]Alfie[/name], and it’s starting to grow on me. I am a huge [name]Freddie[/name] fan but he hates it, and he also hates [name]Monty[/name],so I was really surprised he loves [name]Alfie[/name]. What are your thoughts on it? I like it but am wondering what the nameberrys think. :slight_smile:

P.S- In case you were wondering, we would actually name him [name]Alfred[/name] and call him [name]Alfie[/name]. Middle names combos I like are [name]Alfred[/name] [name]John[/name] and [name]Alfred[/name] [name]Jack[/name]. I think calling him [name]Alfie[/name] [name]Jack[/name] would be so cute. :slight_smile:

Thanks so much!

• [name]Jenna[/name]

I love the name [name]Alfie[/name],it’s my cats name. My favourite middle name is [name]Jack[/name].

I love [name]Alfie[/name]! It’s so cute and British sounding. [name]Alfred[/name] is great as well and is a wonderful name for an adult.

[name]Alfred[/name] [name]Jack[/name] is cute and I prefer it over [name]Alfie[/name] [name]John[/name].

[name]Alfred[/name] [name]Henry[/name]
[name]Alfred[/name] [name]Lucian[/name]
[name]Alfred[/name] [name]Theodore[/name]
[name]Alfred[/name] [name]Isidore[/name]
[name]Alfred[/name] [name]Eleazer[/name]
[name]Alfred[/name] [name]Carlisle[/name]
[name]Alfred[/name] Moriarty
[name]Alfred[/name] [name]Hamish[/name]
[name]Alfred[/name] [name]Jonas[/name]
[name]Alfred[/name] [name]Ivo[/name]
[name]Alfred[/name] [name]Lancelot[/name]
[name]Alfred[/name] [name]Penn[/name]

HTH!

I absolutely love [name]Alfie[/name]! [name]Alfred[/name] is actually one of my top names for a boy. I really love [name]Alfred[/name] [name]Jack[/name] for your son. [name]Alfie[/name] [name]Jack[/name] would be darling.

I love [name]Alfie[/name]! So cute!
And the good thing about [name]Alfred[/name] is that you can secretly call him [name]Freddie[/name] behind your husband’s back. :slight_smile:

Haha I know. [name]Trust[/name] me, I’ve thought of that. :smiley:

Oh my gosh, [name]Alfie[/name] [name]Jack[/name] is adorable! I’ve loved [name]Alfie[/name] ever since I saw the movie with [name]Jude[/name] [name]Law[/name]. For several months when I was pregnant we were set on [name]Alfie[/name] ([name]Alfred[/name]), people even personalized things for ‘[name]Alfie[/name]’. So obviously I love it! The reason we didn’t use it was because my husband hates [name]Al[/name] and [name]Fred[/name] and was afraid he’d end up going by one of those. I adore [name]Fred[/name], so that prospect was a plus for me! Anyway I think [name]Alfie[/name] is beyond cute on a little one… I’m not sure I can really picture it on a teenager or young adult, but thats probably because I’ve never met one. And [name]Alfred[/name] certainly grows up well! All in all, two thumbs up!

I’m curious if you’ve mentioned it to your family and friends… I don’t know if this is helpful or not, but my family absolutely hated it… Sometimes I think they’re just closed minded about names, though

NO [name]WAY[/name] will we mention it until it is on the birth certificate. My family and I have COMPLETELY different tastes. I made the mistake of mentioning [name]Henry[/name] to my mother and she loathes it, and when I mentioned [name]Rufus[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] to my sister and her actual words were “you’re kidding, right?” Oh, and her favorite names are [name]Riley[/name] (for a girl) and [name]Hayden[/name] (for a boy). So not my taste.

And by the way [name]Rufus[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] are still on the list, and [name]Henry[/name] is for a middle (because of the popularity mostly)

[name]Just[/name] curious-but what did you end up naming your son instead of [name]Alfie[/name]? It sounds like we have VERY similar tastes :slight_smile:

NO [name]WAY[/name] will we mention it until it is on the birth certificate. My family and I have COMPLETELY different tastes. I made the mistake of mentioning [name]Henry[/name] to my mother and she loathes it, and when I mentioned [name]Rufus[/name] and [name]Eliza[/name] to my sister and her actual words were “you’re kidding, right?” Oh, and her favorite names are [name]Riley[/name] (for a girl) and [name]Hayden[/name] (for a boy). So not my taste.

Oh my god, she thought you were kidding about [name]Eliza[/name]? What??? [name]Eliza[/name] is only one of the best names of all time! And you reminded me of a lady who I met that told me someone down the street from her just named her baby [name]Henry[/name], “[name]How[/name] could you name a baby [name]Henry[/name]?” and she went on and on about how horrible and cruel that was. My [name]SIL[/name] was thinking about [name]Owen[/name] for their son and my [name]MIL[/name] said “You can’t name him [name]Owen[/name]! [name]Owen[/name] is such a nerds name!” What?
My brother isn’t close to having kids, but I’m trying to imbed [name]Fred[/name] in his head (he hates [name]Frederick[/name] and [name]Alfred[/name], but he likes [name]Fred[/name] so I’m gonna stick with that! Actually [name]Alfredo[/name] would be a good option for him). I told my mom “I would be so happy if I had a nephew named [name]Freddie[/name]! Would you like to have a grandson named [name]Freddie[/name]?” “ugh, no not at all”.

Oh and his girlfriends sister is having a baby and I asked her the name,
“[name]Nathaniel[/name]”
“Oh, I love that name!”
“Really? I liked their other name better”
“What was it?”
“[name]Armani[/name]”
:?

Oh, families and their varying tastes in names. It’s weird how it can be sooo very different!

We ended up naming him [name]Dashiell[/name], nn [name]Dash[/name]. I know it’s a totally different style than [name]Alfie[/name], (and [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Rufus[/name] and [name]Henry[/name]) so it’s probably not your cup of tea. It was more my husbands choice. But strangely my family LOVES his name and really pushed hard for it when they found out it was a contender.

So are you decided on [name]Alfie[/name] [name]Jack[/name]? Oh man, I think I would always call him [name]Alfie[/name] [name]Jack[/name], that is so dang cute! I can’t wait to hear what your family says about it!

Haha, just remembered another thing. When my mom told my aunt we were going to use [name]Alfie[/name] the first thing she said was “well you know he’s going to have red hair”… What?

Sorry for talking so much! I’m bored!

I think the only thing worse than families with very different tastes in names is families with very SIMILAR tastes in names. My sister and I have had some knock-down drag outs over names, and she’s never even been pregnant! We have had to divvy them up. I get [name]Jane[/name], [name]Tom[/name], and [name]Blythe[/name]. She gets [name]Isla[/name], [name]Liv[/name], and [name]Charlotte[/name]. [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Elliott[/name] are still in arbitration. Luckily, my mom is also pretty calm about my name choices. I think her mom gave her a hard time when she named us (especially my sister [name]Grayson[/name] in the 80’s), so she gets that her style is just different. But she did visibly flinch at [name]Clementine[/name]!

OK, sorry to hijack your thread. Back on topic. To be honest, [name]Alfie[/name] is really NMS. I have said before that I think most boys names either sound too grown up for a baby or too childish for a grown man. I prefer the grown up names, myself, and [name]Alfie[/name] sounds like a little boy to me. But, that’s just my taste and I can appreciate your style!

I like the name [name]Alfred[/name], but I don’t like [name]Alfie[/name]. It sounds very babyish.

[name]Alfred[/name] is an old Anglo-[name]Saxon[/name] name that means “sage or elf wisdom”. It’s one of my favs and [name]Alfie[/name] is a cute nickname. English actor [name]Michael[/name] [name]Caine[/name] played in the original and much better version of the film “[name]Alfie[/name]” and that was the association that I thought of when I saw your post. [name]Alfred[/name] [name]Jack[/name] is a great combo too!