Opinions on Anais &/or Anouk

Well, Berries? What do you think? [name]Anais[/name] & [name]Anouk[/name] are both variations of [name]Anna[/name]. [name]How[/name] would you pronounce these names? Would you spell it [name]Ana[/name]ïs or [name]Anais[/name]? Would spell it [name]Anouk[/name] or [name]Anouck[/name]?

Is there one you like more than the other? [name]Do[/name] you know anyone who has used either name? [name]Do[/name] you personally like or dislike either name? [name]Do[/name] you have any pop culture associations with either name?

Is there a better variation of [name]Anna[/name] out there that you like more? Personal opinions & truthful impressions, please!

[name]Ana[/name]ïs (I would spell it this way) is my favourite of the two, although [name]Anouk[/name] is super cute as well. I’ve always loved [name]Ana[/name]ïs [name]Nin[/name], she’s one of my favourite writers, and the pefume [name]Ana[/name]ïs [name]Ana[/name]ïs was the first one I ever got, so these are very good associations for the name. [name]Ana[/name]ïs is not a version of [name]Anna[/name] though, it’s the French form of [name]Anahita[/name], an ancient Persian water/fertility goddess.

[name]Anouk[/name] makes me think of French actress [name]Anouk[/name] Aimée. And the daughter in [name]Joanne[/name] [name]Harris[/name]’ novel Chocolat.

edit: You asked about pronunciation, Anaïs: a-nah-EES. Anouk is simply straight forward, a-NOUK (soft long ou).

I know a very nice lady named [name]Anouck[/name], but I think I like [name]Anais[/name] better. Despite people saying it sounds like certain body parts, I picture it on a supermodel.

I think [name]Anouk[/name] is just too heavy. I’m a fan of some clunky names, like [name]Hilda[/name], but [name]Anouk[/name] is a little much to me. However, it is usable.

My favorite variation of [name]Anna[/name] is [name]Anina[/name], but I also like [name]Annika[/name] and [name]Annabel[/name].

I like [name]Anouk[/name] far better than [name]Anais[/name]! It too reminds me of the little girl in Chocolat :slight_smile: I’ve always pronounced them [name]Ah[/name]-nay and [name]Ah[/name]-nook but that could be wrong???

I know an [name]Anais[/name] spelled that way. She’s in her 20s & her parents are professors at a university so they picked it for the literary reference

I think it feels more sophisticated & softer than [name]Anouk[/name]…which feels sweet & little girlish to me.
It also makes me think Canouk or however you spell the derogatory term for Canadian

[name]Anja[/name] or [name]Anya[/name] is nice too. Less connected to erotica (which doesn’t bother me, but maybe others?)

I know one of each, but I prefer Anouska!

[name]Anais[/name], while pretty, is just too close to anus for taste. I wish I could drop the link in my brain!

I also like [name]Anya[/name], [name]Anina[/name], and [name]Annika[/name] :slight_smile:

I pronounce [name]Anouk[/name] a-nook, but that could be wrong, as I don’t really have experience with the name. I pronounce [name]Anais[/name], anna-ise, which I believe is correct, according to Forvo. I like both, but I think they’d be hard to pull off unless you speak French fluently. If you don’t, I get a major “trying too hard” vibe from them.

[name]Anouk[/name] - A-nook (oo like boot)

[name]Anais[/name] - [name]Ah[/name]-nah-ees

I’d use the dots over the i with [name]Anais[/name]. And I prefer [name]Anouk[/name] as a nickname for Anouska. [name]Both[/name] good names though : )

I like [name]Anais[/name] better than [name]Anouk[/name]. A lot better. :slight_smile:

I adore [name]Anais[/name] for the literary vibe…[name]Anouk[/name] sounds too foreign for me to pull off and has the unfortunate familiar sound of “Canuck” (i.e. a offensive term for a Canadian, which is a cultural thing for me, possibly not an issue in your area?).

Interesting Renrose. I think of [name]Anoushka[/name] as a nickname for [name]Anouk[/name]! Lately I’m loving [name]Anouk[/name], though in the past it’s reminded me so much of Nanook (of the [name]North[/name].) I loved the name, but felt it was trying too hard to be French/Inuit… or something! Now I’m just unabashedly fond of it. I believe there’s a model named [name]Anouk[/name]. If I remember correctly, she has amazing eyebrows!
[name]Ana[/name]ïs for me is inextricably tied to Ms [name]Nin[/name], whose writing I really enjoy. I’ve always pronounced it incorrectly ("[name]Ah[/name]-[name]NYE[/name]-is") as I think many Americans do. I’d keep the umlaut. When given an opportunity to use an umlaut, sieze that opportunity!
[name]Both[/name] good names - hard to choose. [name]Both[/name] are quite grown-up and sexy. [name]Anouk[/name] might be a little more fun for a child, I think.

Anais
Anouk

[name]Anais[/name] (with umlaut), and [name]Anouk[/name] are not uncommon here. Anouks tend to be in their 20s though. A colleague of mine named her daughter [name]Anais[/name] (with umlaut) last year. Here, it is pronounced in 3 syllables: A-NA-ISS… and cannot be mistaken for any body parts. :slight_smile:

I like both names! I really wanted to use Anaise for my daughter but anytime u shared this name EVERYBOBY and I mean everyone would say it sounded like anus or on her knees.

[name]Anouk[/name] is so sweet and adorable. [name]One[/name] of my guilty pleasure names.

Wondering if you can spell [name_f]Anouk[/name_f], Anöuk (with an umlaut)?