Opinions on and spelling of Berkeley

See the results of this poll: Which spelling?

Respondents: 30 (This poll is closed)

• Berkeley : 19 (63%)
  • Berkley : 10 (33%)
  • Other: 1 (3%)

I know a little girl named [name]Berkeley[/name] so I can see it and I think it is quite cute it does feel a little pretentious though.

Neither. Sounds too ugly with the ‘berk’ part. Reminds me of the word Jerk.

I voted [name]Berkeley[/name]. That’s the way it is spelled for the school, so I would think that would be the easiest, spelling-wise. I knew someone who was planning on naming her son [name]Berkeley[/name] [name]Angelo[/name] (both in honor of her beloved home state, [name]California[/name]), so it seems distinctly masculine and a bit too harsh for a little girl, but I suppose it could work. Unless you had a personal tie like my friend does, though, I agree with @dillonsfan01 that it sort of feels a bit pretentious. :frowning:

Good luck!

I’m not really a fan of place names in general, but I really don’t care for this one. I think the ‘[name]Berk[/name]’ part sounds really harsh. Also reminds me of [name]Barkley[/name] the dog from [name]Sesame[/name] [name]Street[/name].

I am going to agree with pp’s that it feels really snooty and pretentious.

I don’t care for the name at all. Too trendy/surnamey for my taste.

I knew a girl, around 25, who was named [name]Berkley[/name] (spelled that way) and she had a sister named [name]Barrett[/name]. Everyone called her ‘[name]Berk[/name].’

I could see it as a middle name if it had some special meaning (parents met at UC [name]Berkeley[/name] or something) but not for a child’s first name. It also reminds me of the dog, like mjeezy13 mentioned.

I think [name]Berkeley[/name] looks the best but it sounds way too masculine for a little girl but then unisex names aren’t really my thing!

I watch a lot of the show Toddlers and Tiaras and it seems that these sort of names are very, very popular right now - only the other day I heard [name]Berkeley[/name], Breelee, [name]Mabry[/name], [name]Blakeley[/name] so the similar sounds seem very trendy!

I don’t really like the ‘[name]Berk[/name]’ sound…
Maybe [name]Alameda[/name], [name]Valencia[/name], [name]Larkin[/name], Peralta, [name]Laguna[/name], [name]Dolores[/name], [name]Poet[/name], [name]Adeline[/name], [name]Golden[/name], [name]Ashby[/name], [name]Marina[/name]? All are street or parks or areas in the bay area if that’s why you like [name]Berkeley[/name]? I think there have a more feminine sound.

It makes me think of the university in [name]California[/name]. And it does sound quite pretentious.

I guess I prefer [name]Berkeley[/name] overall, if forced to chose. However, I really dislike [name]Berkeley[/name] as a first name, especially on a female. It is just so harsh and unappealing.