Opinions on Anoushka

I absolutely love the name Anounshka (pronounced uh-noosh-kuh). Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

I’ve always seen [name_f]Anoushka[/name_f] as a rather frivolous, cutesy nn in the Russian tradition ([name_f]Anna[/name_f] - [name_f]Anya[/name_f] - [name_f]Anyuta[/name_f] -[name_f]Anoushka[/name_f]) for [name_f]Anna[/name_f], so that is the only way I would use it. But, I would feel pretty dumb if an actual Russian heard me calling my daughter [name_f]Anoushka[/name_f], to be honest.

[name_f]Natasha[/name_f], [name_f]Anastasia[/name_f], [name_f]Anouk[/name_f], [name_f]Nadiya[/name_f] and others are acceptable, so I don’t see much of a difference with [name_f]Anoushka[/name_f]. It does feel a bit weird trying to say it in an Americanized way. You will definitely get questions. It would be a plus if you had some sort of ties to the name, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

I agree here, I think anyone Russian would likely think you were mocking them a bit.

It’s a very sweet and beautiful name and I hardly think that any Russian would think that you’re mocking their culture but rather think you’re a fan of it (if they have an opinion at all).
I actually like it more as a full name than a nickname, since to non-Russians it doesn’t sound like one.
Especially since it’s longer than the actual name but doesn’t sound like a sweet nn (ex: [name_f]Rose[/name_f] -> [name_f]Rosie[/name_f]).

As a nickname for [name_f]Anna[/name_f]/[name_f]Anne[/name_f] etc. I love it. I know someone with basically the same name (a different beginning, but the ending is the same) and she loathes that it is so nicknamey.

I love it as a nickname for [name_f]Anna[/name_f], but not on its own. I agree, it sounds a bit cutesy. I have no idea if Russian people would be offended by a non-Russian person using it but I can’t see why it could be offensive? It’s just a name. Like it someone who didn’t speak English named their child [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] nn [name_f]Lizzie[/name_f] or [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Kate[/name_f], we wouldn’t be offended, right? (I wouldn’t be anyway.) I have a friend named Anusha (uh-noosh-ah)- that could be another option. She’s South [name_f]Asian[/name_f], I can’t remember which country though nor what language the name comes from.

I’m not a fan of it. In my native language, noushka is slang for a big nose. I can’t get over that image, which has always prevented me from liking the name. I know an Agnieszka, and she hates her name SO much. I feel like it would be a very similar story with [name_f]Anoushka[/name_f].

I don’t mind the name [name_f]Anoushka[/name_f] but after having a male housemate by the name I find it hard to picture on a girl now. I do prefer the name [name_f]Anouk[/name_f] to [name_f]Anoushka[/name_f] too

I think its gorgeous, so luscious and exotic. It had a moment of popularity over here in the Uk in the 1970s i think, possibly because of the designer [name_f]Anoushka[/name_f] Hemple, and i very much picture Biba print dresses and long, flowing hair when I hear it.

As others have said, Annoushka is strictly a nn, not a given name. However, I think it would acceptable to call your daughter by this name if you give her an “[name_f]Anna[/name_f]” name ([name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Annika[/name_f], etc.). I don’t think it would offend Russians that you call your daughter [name_f]Anoushka[/name_f], but they might think it strange if that was her legal name.