Opinions on Belle

Is it substantial enough as a first name? Does it fit a variety of personalities? Does it seem modern, vintage, timeless?

Belle can definitely stand alone! It’s very pretty, and my first association is Beauty and the Beast, which is a huge plus in my book! I would say it fits a variety of personalities, but I definitely picture a more girly girl. I feel like [name_f]Belle[/name_f] borders classic and vintage.

2 Likes

[name_f]Belle[/name_f] is gorgeous! I have it on my own list as a mn (a bit hesitant to move it to the fn spot because it’s so tied to Beauty & the Beast). But I definitely think it stands well on its own. Simple, elegant, strong. I would say it feels pretty timeless, though not in the same way as classics like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. Modern enough, certainly, but not likely to be trendy. It’s undeniably feminine, but tailored, which makes it feel wearable on any age and any personality. And because of all that, it seems like a fairly perfect choice, imo. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with the other posters! [name_f]Belle[/name_f] is such a beautiful name. It’s currently on my list, because I love it so much, even though I personally can’t use it (which makes me so sad!)
To me, [name_f]Belle[/name_f] makes me think of someone smart, spunky, strong, kind hearted, and brave. Definitely wearable on different personalities!
I also think the name is timeless, perhaps with a slight modern feel, but definitely not too trendy.

Also, I know the main association is Beauty and the Beast, but lately I’ve been watching a lot of the show Once Upon a Time. Because of that, I view the name [name_f]Belle[/name_f] as less of a ‘girly girl’ name, and more of a badass one! Although, I think the original [name_f]Belle[/name_f] is just as great, and a wonderful association to have!

1 Like

I really love [name_f]Belle[/name_f]. I had [name_f]Belle[/name_f] [name_f]Rosaline[/name_f] on my list once upon a time. [name_f]Belle[/name_f] sounds great with A and J!

1 Like

I honestly think the name is kind of weird, but that’s probably just because I grew up speaking [name_u]French[/name_u] so to me it’s like someone in [name_f]France[/name_f] naming their kid “Beautiful” … To me in terms of style, it reads as modern-trying-to-be-vintage. I think in reality it could suit a multitude of personalities, but for me it’s tied to a bookish, kind personality because of Beauty and the Beast, although I can also totally see it on a super girly personality like PP mentioned. I don’t think it needs a longer name.

1 Like

[name_f]Belle[/name_f] is both prim and bookish, cheeky and sweet, elegant and fun! I think it’s substantial enough:)

1 Like

It’s adorable and I love it with your son’s names. I was listening to an audiobook today that was read by a little girl named [name_f]Belle[/name_f].

1 Like

[name_f]Belle[/name_f] is so pretty and cute! Definitely works on its own, as everyone is familiar with it because of Beauty and the Beast…
It’s an adorable vintage name, I really don’t think you need to worry about it not being enough on it’s own. :two_hearts::heartpulse:

1 Like

I must sadly disagree with many of the other posters here. To me, [name_f]Belle[/name_f] loses its charm because of these VERY strong associations. I realize some are with [name_f]Bella[/name_f] and not just strictly [name_f]Belle[/name_f], but still, they unfortunately take over the name in my mind, so I don’t see [name_f]Belle[/name_f] as timeless, classic, or vintage- but rather cheap, hokey, and silly. ([name_m]Don[/name_m]’t hate me too much!)

1. Disney [name_f]Princess[/name_f] from Beauty and the Beast
  2. Trendy as a nickname for many of the [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]/Isabelle/Isobels running around now
  3. Bella is the most popular female dog name (though my hubby LOVES doggy names for people)
  4. Bella [name_f]Swan[/name_f] from [name_u]Twilight[/name_u]
1 Like

I love belle! Strongly considered it for my first daughter but my friend used the name [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] and i thought it was too close! If you think it’s too short you can name her [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Arabelle[/name_f], or something like that!

1 Like

Belle certainly can stand one, though honestly feels kind of plain to me as a full name. I think maybe because the meaning is simply “pretty” and there isn’t really anything to it beyond that.

There’s nothing wrong with that though. [name_m]Plenty[/name_m] of good names have generic meanings.

There are alot of -belle/bel names out there if it doesn’t feel weight enough on it’s own to you, and [name_f]Belle[/name_f] or [name_f]Bella[/name_f] is generally considered am intuitive nickname for most of them. As far as longer forms go, [name_f]Mirabel[/name_f]/Mirabelle is one of my favorites.

1 Like