Opinions on Current Crushes?

So we have a current crushes thread, but now a thread for thoughts on them! I thought it would be fun.

[name_u]Si[/name_u] i’ll start. At the moment I’m crushing on [name_f]Novella[/name_f] and [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] for girls, and [name_u]Raven[/name_u] for a boy

2 Likes

Yes! I’ve been wanting this! Thanks for starting it up! [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] really isn’t my style, but I definitely think the right person could rock it! [name_f]Novella[/name_f] is lovely. Such a sweet literary name! (Especially for you, since you’re a writer!) [name_u]Raven[/name_u] is so fresh on a boy! I always kind of thought it felt too masculine for a girl!

Totally crushing over [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], [name_m]Emrys[/name_m], and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] for boys, and [name_u]Willow[/name_u], [name_f]Heidi[/name_f], and [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] for girls! (Sorry, that’s a lot of names!

I love [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] for a boy. It’s handsome, unique, and I just love the way is sounds and looks.

[name_m]Edwin[/name_m] isn’t my favorite. It’s too old school for me. I like [name_m]Edward[/name_m] better.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] for a boy! I prefer it on a girl but I think it works equally well on a boy. It’s definitely getting really popular though.

[name_u]Willow[/name_u] is nice but not my favorite. It has gotten really popular. I think it is sweet for a girl though.\

[name_f]Heidi[/name_f] is lovely! It’s actually my mom’s name so I’m partial too it. To me it is very old fashioned but has some spunk to it that doesn’t make it too boring. It’s a great choice.

[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] is so pretty! I’ve seen this all over Nameberry for some time now and I’m starting to like it. I love the pronunciation and I definitely prefer it to [name_f]Aurora[/name_f].

Boys: Hucksley “[name_m]Huck[/name_m]” (instead of [name_m]Huxley[/name_m]) and [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] “[name_m]Hawk[/name_m]”
Girls: Jemison “[name_u]Jemmy[/name_u]”

1 Like

I absolutely love [name_m]Hawthorne[/name_m] nn [name_m]Hawk[/name_m]! I’ve always had a soft spot for [name_m]Huxley[/name_m] nn [name_m]Huck[/name_m] and I don’t like the spelling Hucksley as much because it looks clunky to me. The sound is still equally as handsome! Similarly, I don’t like Jemison as much as [name_u]Jameson[/name_u]/[name_u]Jamison[/name_u], but [name_u]Jemmy[/name_u] is a cute nn. I like [name_f]Jemma[/name_f] as a nn option as well. Overall I like the names!

[name_f]My[/name_f] current crushes:
Boy: [name_u]Halston[/name_u], [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] “Wolfie”
Girl: [name_f]Reverie[/name_f], [name_f]Xaverie[/name_f]

@eloiseattheplaza
None of the names are my style, before I manage put my foot in it! I think [name_u]Halston[/name_u] fits better with [name_u]Harper[/name_u] and [name_u]Darby[/name_u], while [name_m]Wolfgang[/name_m] fits better with [name_m]Abraham[/name_m]. Overall, [name_u]Halston[/name_u] is a bit too much for me, I think it sounds like a furniture store or something! Though I do like the nn [name_m]Hal[/name_m]. Of the girls, my initial link with [name_f]Xaverie[/name_f] was the word savoury, which slightly put me off. I also immediately misread it as [name_m]Xavier[/name_m] and had to reread a few times. I prefer [name_f]Reverie[/name_f] with your girls names, I think it fits particularly well with [name_f]Stella[/name_f]. They both make me think of a whimsical, otherworldly kinda vibe. All-in-all, nms, but all usable and fit with your other names.

[name_f]My[/name_f] current crushes:
Boy: [name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m] nn. Bartie, [name_m]Lucius[/name_m]
Girl: [name_f]Miriam[/name_f], [name_f]Sybil[/name_f]

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] @eloiseattheplaza!

Here are my thoughts:

[name_m]Bartholomew[/name_m]-I like how this is unique & classic, but it’s a bit much for me. And I don’t care for Bartie at all. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though I like [name_u]Bertie[/name_u].

[name_m]Lucius[/name_m]-This is kind of cool. It’s different & has strong yet exotic feel. Not one that I would consider, but it’s not bad. The nns [name_m]Luc[/name_m] or [name_m]Louie[/name_m] are cute.

[name_f]Miriam[/name_f]-[name_u]Love[/name_u] love love it! It’s the perfect balance of sweetness & sophistication. It’s simple & well know, but not too over done.

[name_f]Sybil[/name_f]-This is okay. I want to like it. It’s sort of sleek looking & sounding, which I like. I just don’t really love the sound.

[name_f]My[/name_f] current crushes that are very new:

[name_f]Salome[/name_f]

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]/[name_f]Lula[/name_f]-always liked it…recently loving it.

[name_m]Koa[/name_m]

@MichelleM I think you meant to tag @emelfem! :wink:

But here are my thoughts on yours:
[name_f]Salome[/name_f] - this is one of my long-standing favorite girl names. It always hovers on and off my list. I love [name_u]Salem[/name_u] and [name_u]Shalom[/name_u] as well, so they all trade places on my list, lol. But anyway, [name_f]Salome[/name_f]. [name_f]Salome[/name_f] is an uncommon treasure of a name. I love the meaning (peace) and the sound is simple, yet strong.

[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]/[name_f]Lula[/name_f] - I am not a fan of [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], but I think [name_f]Lula[/name_f] is really cute! It is more charming than [name_f]Lulu[/name_f] to me, and I think it would age better than [name_f]Lulu[/name_f] as well. [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] is sophisticated and straight-laced, it does have an air of elegance to it. Not my style, but a solid name choice.

[name_m]Koa[/name_m] - this has such a neat Hawaiian-cool vibe. This was on my list a few years ago, but stuck out so much from my other names that now it is just a guilty pleasure. I would love to meet a [name_m]Koa[/name_m] though! Great name

Some more of my crushes:

[name_u]Rory[/name_u] (boy or girl)

[name_m]Etienne[/name_m] (boy)

[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] (boy)

[name_u]Rory[/name_u] - love for either gender! Feels fun and it seems like the color auburn.

[name_m]Etienne[/name_m] - very handsome, soft, name.

[name_m]Rafferty[/name_m] - majestic and handsome love him! Classic yet cool and modern,

current crushes:

[name_m]Evander[/name_m] (b), [name_u]Raven[/name_u] (b)
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f](g), Aondra(g)
[name_u]Camille[/name_u](b)

[name_m]Evander[/name_m]: love [name_m]Evander[/name_m]! If I had a son tomorrow that would be his name. It’s soft but strong at the same time. It has a very cool meaning and so many potential nicknames!

[name_u]Raven[/name_u]: I like raven as a middle but I think it’s a bit much for a first name. It doesn’t have a great connotation. (Ravens carry a bad omen and symbolize death)

[name_f]Sybil[/name_f]: I am not a fan of sybil. [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] was the name of the first woman diagnosed with multiple personality disorder (also known as DID) she’s really famous for it. There’s a book and movie on her so that’s all I can think about with that name.

Aondra: do you mean [name_f]Alondra[/name_f]? I like [name_f]Alondra[/name_f], it’s simple, not too common, and pretty. Aondra to me seems incomplete. I prefer [name_f]Alondra[/name_f].

[name_u]Camille[/name_u]: very pretty! I like the nickname [name_f]Cami[/name_f]. However I knew a [name_f]Cami[/name_f] and a [name_u]Camille[/name_u] and I didn’t really like them so that kind of turned me off of the name.

[name_m]Odin[/name_m] and [name_m]Benaiah[/name_m]

[name_m]Odin[/name_m] - I love Norse mythology, so I think this is a great name, very strong and powerful with a dramatic flair; personally, I wouldn’t use it as a first, but it’d make a great and unexpected middle IMO
[name_m]Benaiah[/name_m] - never heard of this one before! I think it’s got a nice, gentle sound; for me, it actually sounds more like a girl’s name (maybe because I know a little [name_f]Amaya[/name_f] - to me, the two have a similar vibe)

Opinions on [name_u]Sutton[/name_u] (girl) and [name_u]Darby[/name_u] (girl)?

[name_f]My[/name_f] problem with both these names are I know them as towns before names ([name_u]London[/name_u] borough and [name_u]Derby[/name_u] - pronounced [name_u]Darby[/name_u]) and have to take a step back to consider them as objectively as I can.

I think [name_u]Sutton[/name_u] sounds more masculine to me because of the -on ending (in line with [name_u]Grayson[/name_u], [name_u]Jameson[/name_u], [name_u]Hudson[/name_u], [name_m]Edison[/name_m] etc.), however, it not having the full -son ending makes it less masculine somehow. I just don’t like the sound very much, it’s quite abrupt.

[name_u]Darby[/name_u] I prefer, I think that spelling is necessary in the US to avoid the mispronunciation. I think it sounds more typically feminine if that’s important to you because of the -y ending. Personally, I would pair either of them with a more feminine middle to offer a bit of a balance, but could also see others pairing them with unisex middles.

Thoughts on [name_f]Blythe[/name_f] (g) and [name_u]Merritt[/name_u] (b)

[name_f]Blythe[/name_f] is a recent crush of mine! I would probably only use it for a middle, but I think it’s lovely! I love that it has a soft meaning (happiness) but a strong sound!

The only [name_u]Merritt[/name_u] I’ve met was a girl, so I’ve never considered it for a boy. That being said, I really like it! It has a similar feel to [name_u]Everett[/name_u]. I would definitely love to meet a little boy named [name_u]Merritt[/name_u]!

Thoughts on [name_f]Elspeth[/name_f], [name_m]Philip[/name_m], and [name_m]Edwin[/name_m]?