Opinions on Emelaigne?

I like this name a lot. It has a nice look and sound, in my opinion, but I want to know what my fellow berries think! [name_m]How[/name_m] did you pronounce it when you first read it?
I discovered this name in a novel and read it em-eh-lag-nee. I knew that it wasn’t right but I couldn’t figure out how to pronounce it. Only after I finished the novel did I actually look it up, haha.
It’s pronounced eh-meh-lane. What do you think of it? What middles would you pair with it?
Thanks! :slight_smile:

Tbh, I think a lot of people will do a double take. But I didn’t have trouble guessing the pronunciation, thanks to champagne. However, it looks like a kre8iv version of [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] – or even a mash-up of [name_f]Emma[/name_f] and [name_f]Elaine[/name_f] with a random g thrown in because why not? – which would make me hesitate to recommend it. But it definitely sounds pretty, and I can see the appeal. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahh, champagne didn’t even come to my mind for pronunciation. I definitely agree that it looks like it’s trying to be yooneek but I never plan on using it on a child hehe, just for characters
I guess a simpler spelling would be better, or even just [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] since it has a similar look and feel

1 Like

Maybe Emmelaine? I actually like the sound but the spelling is very confusing.

3 Likes

I definitely agree. Emmelaine is a much better spelling!

2 Likes

You know, I actually do like the look of it and the pronunciation. I like the single m and even the random g. It reminds me of some odd medieval name. :joy::woman_shrugging:t2: But yes, I agree that it would be better to spell it Emelaine or Emmelaine to get the correct pronunciation.
Edited just to add that I did pronounce it em-eh-lane when I read it. I suppose because my brain is used to the g being silent when it’s in front of n so I guessed. Lol
Emelaigne/Emelaine Pearl would be pretty :blush:

1 Like

I see it as [name_f]Emma[/name_f]-lain, [name_f]Emma[/name_f]-lainey, [name_f]Emmy[/name_f]-lain, or [name_f]Emmy[/name_f]-lainey, but I don’t know. It’s beautiful either way though :slight_smile:

1 Like

For a character it’s great! Formal actual child- Is keep looking!

1 Like

I think the name is beautiful. I read it as Emelaigne but I know not everyone would. I suggest you spell it Emelane or Emalane or something without a g because Emelaigne will probably get mispronounced a lot

1 Like

Thanks for all of your opinions <3 yes, this is for a character, not an actual child! It would be hell always correcting people’s pronunciation haha

I somehow really like that spelling! I think its sorta funky, but probably not a good idea to use for a child- though you’ve said its for a character anyway. I did guess the correct pronunciation but I dont know that everyone would.

2 Likes

I like the sound though the look throwa me off a bit. Emmelaine would be cute, but actually, since it’s for a character, I’d so go with it

1 Like

I did pronounce it like ‘[name_f]Em[/name_f]-meh-lane’. I think it’s pretty! But the spelling might be a little confusing. Maybe change it to Emmelaine or Emelane?

I would keel the middle name short. Some middle name ideas:
Emelaigne [name_f]Flor[/name_f]
Emelaigne [name_u]Lou[/name_u]
Emelaigne [name_f]Belle[/name_f]

I really like the sound of the actual pronunciation. It’s very pretty. But when I first saw it I honestly like gave up after the [name_f]Emma[/name_f] part. I think just removing the g would help or otherwise I mean once people hear it once it’s easy to remember.

I did pronounce it correctly right away, probably because of the similarities to champagne.
I do like the way it sounds, but I’m not a fan of how it looks. It seems a bit “trendy” and also I just think it doesn’t look that pretty, I’m sorry!
I love the suggestions of Emmelaine!!

I think Emmelaine would be really pretty. With Emelaigne, the ending reminds me of “lasagne” and I wouldn’t be sure how to pronounce it.

I like the sound, I think, but the “aigne” construction feels VERY [name_u]French[/name_u] surname to me. Emelaigne doesn’t feel like a first name to me? But Emmelaine sounds nice. I think if you opted for Emmelaine that’d get yes from me? [name_f]Adelaine[/name_f], Avelaine, [name_f]Madelaine[/name_f], etc., seem to be less common variants of [name_f]Adeline[/name_f], [name_f]Aveline[/name_f], and [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]/Madeline, so I could see Emmelaine fitting in with those.

I agree that it has a nice sound but not the most approachable look. :joy::joy:. [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] will always be my favorite, but Emmelaine is nice too.

Editing to add that with my bit of [name_u]French[/name_u] background, I would have pronounced Emelaigne is em-eh-LEN-yeh, not [name_f]Emma[/name_f]-[name_u]Lane[/name_u].

1 Like