Opinions on Hildy and Hillie

I’ve suddenly fallen for two rare diminutive names: [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] (or [name_f]Hildie[/name_f]) and Hillie (or Hilly).

I have a few questions I hope you can help with:

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] they work as standalone names?

2. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you feel about them as nicknames for [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] or Othilde? I think [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] works, but Hillie is too much of a stretch.

3. Which other names could give the nickname [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] or Hillie? I’m not a fan of [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f] or [name_u]Hillary[/name_u].

Thank you!

I’m going to be honest I really don’t like them, but that’s just my taste. [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] works to get [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] from as you said, and I think [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] is a very pretty name so I’d encourage using it!

Thanks for your honesty! I’m aware that my naming tastes often go against majority opinion - not on purpose though!

[name_f]Hildie[/name_f] is a great choice and it works really well as a formal fn.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I’m not a fan. They sound like snobby ladies in the 80s. I’m not sure why…

[name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] nn [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] totally works. Hillie is a bit of a stretch. [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] nn Hillie? [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]? [name_f]Philippa[/name_f]? [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]?

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

I think [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] is really adorable as a nickname, though I prefer [name_f]Hilda[/name_f]. I’m not a fan of Hillie, it just sounds weird and dated to me. I like the idea of [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] “[name_f]Hildie[/name_f]”!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there! My soon-to-be-husband’s favorite name is [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f]! I have sort of made myself like it, but what I like most about it is that I can call her “[name_f]Hildi[/name_f]”! :slight_smile: I think it could stand on it’s own, like [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] can, but I am a fan of giving people lots of options. I think either of your names totally work for [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] or Othilde.

Other options:
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f]!
[name_f]Phyllida[/name_f]/[name_f]Phillida[/name_f]!
[name_f]Phyllis[/name_f]
[name_f]Philomela[/name_f]
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f]
[name_f]Swanhild/name_f
Clothild(e/a)
Gunhild(e/a)
Hila - Means “halo, aura” in Hebrew, from the root הָלַל (halal) meaning “to praise, to shine”.
[name_f]Hilaria[/name_f]
[name_f]Hilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Hildred[/name_f]
[name_f]Hilma[/name_f]

@babies123456 I’m glad you think so! Though I feel [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] looks more like a complete name for some reason, whilst [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] looks more like a nickname.

@michellem - Haha snobby ladies in their 80s! Now I need to make a name list with that as the title!

@emmievis - [name_f]Glad[/name_f] you like [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] too! I think I’m leaning towards [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] or Othilde nn [name_f]Hildie[/name_f].

@mermuse - Wow, I didn’t realise [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f] was anyone’s favourite name anymore! I think it’s cool, but a lot to carry. Thanks for the other suggestions - I’m actually rather intrigued by [name_f]Hildred[/name_f].

Hillie just makes me think of Hilly Holbrook’s character in The Help, which isn’t the best association. However, I still like the sound of it. I think I prefer the sound of [name_f]Hildy[/name_f]. I feel like I would use it with [name_f]Hilda[/name_f] or [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f].

Also curious how Othilde is pronounced?

I think [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] could work alone. Hillie perhaps not as much. Personally, I think either could work for a nickname for [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f], depending on how you pronounce it. If you’re pronouncing it mah-TEELD, I think either could work as a nickname. If you’re pronouncing it mah-TILD or mah-TILD-uh, then [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] definitely works better.

They are certainly rare/unusual names, however that just makes them even more exotic sounding and elegant! I actually quite like them as nicknames. As far as spelling I prefer [name_f]Hildie[/name_f], but I really think that they both work as nicknames!!! I am a firm believer that there are really no rules with nicknames, I know Alexandras that go by Mias etc etc.
As far as other names that you could use them for, I love [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] ( [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t know if this works! ) And [name_f]Hazel[/name_f]!
Good luck happy naming :slight_smile:

For some more far out options, you could make them work for [name_f]Mildred[/name_f], [name_f]Clothilda[/name_f], [name_f]Swanhild[/name_f], or [name_f]Brynhild[/name_f], Ashilde, or basically any -hild(a) ending name. I think [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] is a super cute nickname!

Personally, I tend to prefer Hilly, and [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] in regard to the spelling of each.

I think either could work as a standalone name if you loved it enough, particularly Hilly. Hilly especially seems to have quite recognisably popular sounds to it ([name_f]Millie[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f]…) so I think it could fit right in as a full first with todays children, and seems like it would age pretty well. It could also fit the word-name trend, should you wish to see it that way. I do tend to feel [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] to be a bit clunky, however, I think that [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Hildie[/name_f]’ really softens that clunk, while still keeping it strong and grounded.

My first association with Hilly, is The Hillywood Show, a pop-culture parody channel on YouTube made by sisters Hilly (born [name_u]Hillary[/name_u], but seems to solely go by Hilly) & [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] Hindi. It’s not at all a negative association (they’re all kinds of brilliant, really) but worth the mention.

@sunflower367 - I had forgotten about Hilly Holbrook. That’s not a nice association and is making me think twice about Hilly/Hillie now. I prefer [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] anyway. I pronounce Othilde like [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], but first syllable ‘O’ as in Otter. It can also be pronounced O(as in Otter)-TEELD.

@chelsanne22 - I am pronouncing [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] like [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], so I agree, [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] works best.

@ashleycookbert - [name_f]Glad[/name_f] you like them both as nicknames! I see what you mean about there being no rules to nicknames, but I don’t want the names to be too confusing for people!

@kpearl8 - Yay, I think [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] is super cute too! I like [name_f]Clothilda[/name_f]/Clothide, but definitely prefer [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] or Othilde.

@sunniva - I am not set on the spellings, I generally like Hillie and [name_f]Hildy[/name_f], but Hilly and [name_f]Hildie[/name_f] works too. I hadn’t thought of the similarity to [name_f]Millie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lily[/name_f] which definitely makes it seem more usable. I’ve never heard of The Hillywood Show before, so that association doesn’t bother me.

Hmm…
I think [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] could work as a standalone name but Hilly feels like a nickname.

I think [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] works a nickname for [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] or Othilde. But I think Hilly is a bit of a stretch. Out of the two names I prefer [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f].

Other names…
[name_f]Hilaria[/name_f]
[name_f]Clothilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Mildred[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]/[name_f]Helen[/name_f] ~ I think Hilly could work
[name_f]Philomena[/name_f]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helped

I like [name_f]Hildy[/name_f] a lot, both as a stand-alone name and a nickname for a [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f] (and [name_f]Hildegarde[/name_f]). I don’t think Hilly works as well, because it sounds like a landscape-type descriptor of a woman’s body or something.