Opinions on Immagin Elizabeth

I am thinking about naming my baby girl Immagin [name]Elizabeth[/name]. I have changed my mind on the spelling a few times. I would call her Imma for short. I love the name but not sure how this name would affect her given it is not common or heard of at all. Thoughts?

I think [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is pretty, but ONLY if you spell it this way. As you said, this is an uncommon name, and no matter how you spell it people are going to have questions about spelling and pronunciation. Think of it as a teachable moment. You aren’t going to avoid these questions, or make the name any more unique than it already is, by changing the spelling, so you might as well stick with the proper spelling and when people meet your daughter who are unfamiliar with the name, you will simply introduce them to it (since you will be doing this anyway, a simple introduction - here’s how it’s spelled and here’s how it’s pronounced - is a lot simpler than explaining first that it’s derived from a real name spelled [name]Imogen[/name], here’s how you pronounce that, and then here’s how we spell it).
Also, the Immagin spelling makes me think of the word imagine, and makes me want to pronounce it as such.
All that aside, if you’re not sure you’re comfortable using a name so unfamiliar, you might want to consider [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] instead. I think Imma is cute as a nn, but it’s bound to cause a lot of confusion with all the many Emmas out there.

Wow you really know a lot about this name. First I did pick Immagin because I came up with it based on [name]Imagine[/name]…so I did not even know about Imogin…but I like your thoughts on this. I am going to look up Imogin now.

[name]Imogen[/name] is a beautiful, unusual and quirky name well known in [name]England[/name]. I love the combo of [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], very nice.

Please only use the traditional spelling.

I think that [name]Immy[/name] is an easy to understand nn but if you don’t want [name]Immy[/name] you could have [name]Jen[/name].

I once vacationed in an Italian villa and met the most wonderful [name]Imogen[/name], a British teen vacationing with her family…

[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is lovely, but Immagin reminds me of “imagine” and looks trendy. Imogin is not the correct spelling, either, and I’m not a big fan of the “gin” ending, as it makes me think of hard liquor. If you love it, go with [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I love [name]Imogen[/name]! [name]Genny[/name] would be a great nn too!

Eek! Yes, please only use [name]Imogen[/name]. It is such a pretty name and a tryndee spelling would make me so sad.

So I have looked up [name]Imogen[/name] and it is lovely. It is clear that Immagin could be confusing…so you all might have persuaded me to not go with Immagin…but still not sure if [name]Imogen[/name] could be a good one. Would added an extra “m” be too much? Maybe Immogen?

I still am not on board with Immogen. As previous posters have mentioned, [name]Imogen[/name] is still uncommon enough in the US that you’ll have enough questions and confusion without adding to it by using an unusual spelling. That being said, we’re currently considering [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] as well, and I love the name!

The [name]Golden[/name] [name]Rule[/name] is, ALWAYS stay with the traditional spelling of a name.

It won’t matter if you want to call her [name]Immy[/name] that is just her nn, [name]Imogen[/name] needs to be her legal name.

If the Carolines can be Caz, [name]Cara[/name], [name]Carly[/name], [name]Carol[/name], [name]Lyn[/name] etc [name]Immy[/name] can easily fit with [name]Imogen[/name].

Best wishes.

[name]Imogen[/name] is so lovely, any other spelling would be second place, at best. Why ruin a good (beautiful!) thing? And if it’s the nickname Imma you’ve got your heart set on, that can still happen with only one ‘m’ in the proper name. There’s no ‘k’ in [name]Nicole[/name], but the [name]Nikki[/name] has two of them, you know?
That said, [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is a wonderful name. I hope you use it :slight_smile:

You don’t need two Ms like Immogen to get Imma or [name]Immy[/name] from [name]Imogen[/name]. Many nicknames of other formal names go ahead and double the intended letter in it to get a nickname. [name]Carrie[/name] from [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Maggie[/name] from [name]Margaret[/name], etc.

Then again, if you were about to name your daughter Immagin, never ever having heard of [name]Imogen[/name], you might as well spell it like the word [name]Imagine[/name]. As a “word name,” it is just another way to go. [name]Imogen[/name] and [name]Imagine[/name] are pronounced pretty differently and have different meanings.

Here is what “Behind the Names” says about [name]Imogen[/name]:

The name of a princess in the play ‘[name]Cymbeline[/name]’ (1609) by [name]Shakespeare[/name]. He based her on a legendary character named [name]Innogen[/name], but the name was printed incorrectly and never corrected. The name [name]Innogen[/name] is probably derived from Gaelic inghean meaning “maiden”.

So actually, two Ms is wrong, but apparently so at one time was just one M, being a misprint of two Ns - nn looking like an m and printed as m.

I second all the above postings. [name]Imogen[/name] is such a beautiful name (I would use it but it is TERRIBLE with our surname). I can’t get my head around how to say Immagin correctly. I love that you had never heard of [name]Imogen[/name], therefore the name will still feel very unique to you.