Opinions on Mercy please!

I’ve been thinking about [name]Mercy[/name]. I think it’s beautiful but have gotten some negitive reactions from friends (I am not pregnant YET, just getting ideas).

What do you honestly think about [name]Mercy[/name]? What would your reaction be to meeting a little [name]Mercy[/name]? An adult [name]Mercy[/name]?

I have a perfect name combo with this, so it’s making me fall in love!
Thank you for the feedback, it is much needed!

It’s very Puritan-chic (haha, there is a phrase you don’t hear much). I love names of that era and like this one, but … it could sound both classy and not that classy at all. It’s a bit of a risk.

I think that this name is a bit clunky because of the er sound in the middle.

I love [name]Mercy[/name]. It’s such a beautiful name and so underused. I used to have it on my long list until my husband nixed it.

I love the name - a lovely name that won’t be heard again and again.

I like it. I think it fits right in with all the other virtue and Puritan names in use now. I actually when to class a few semesters ago with a [name]Mercy[/name] who was interesting :slight_smile:

It’s interesting. I don’t care for virtue names very much, but this could be okay. It’s like a previous poster said, it’s Puritan-chic. The first thought that came to my head when I saw [name]Mercy[/name] was the [name]Duffy[/name] song.

• [name]Athena[/name]

Thanks for everyone’s replies! I love the sound and the feel of [name]Mercy[/name], but I think what is making me second guess myself is that I’m not into virtue names. [name]Mercy[/name] is the only one. Is that strange?

The full name would be: [name]Mercy[/name] [name]Emerald[/name] Foxglove

Yes, I know, it’s out of the ordinary. I’m in love though! What do you guys think?

Not a fan of [name]Mercy[/name] paired with [name]Emerald[/name] since their both word names. It sounds like the name of an actual jewel, like the [name]Hope[/name] [name]Diamond[/name]. Perhaps [name]Mercy[/name] [name]Esmeralda[/name] or [name]Mercy[/name] [name]Esme[/name] instead?

I second [name]Mercy[/name] [name]Esme[/name].

• [name]Athena[/name]

Didn’t think about that (both being word names) If I end up using [name]Mercy[/name], I may just use [name]Mercy[/name] Foxglove (which I adore). But HONESTLY, if you recieved a birth announcment and read [name]Mercy[/name] Foxglove, what would you think??

By the way, I am most likely to be a single parent in the near future, ([name]Via[/name] AI) so I don’t have a partner for input.

I adore the name [name]Mercy[/name]. I think part of why it appeals to people who don’t normally like virtue names is that it sounds pretty different. It’s not one of the super-familiar ones ([name]Faith[/name], [name]Hope[/name], [name]Grace[/name]), which all happen to have one syllable, and it doesn’t end in -ity ([name]Charity[/name], [name]Chastity[/name], [name]Amity[/name], [name]Verity[/name], [name]Serenity[/name], etc.).

I think Foxglove is a powerful and interesting middle name! I have to say though, while I like the sound of the combo, I’m not loving the image. Foxglove has a pretty sexy tone to it (fox/foxy, and then long lace up gloves, also the word love - not so sexy it doesn’t work as a middle - but probably too much for first, in addition to it being so uncommon) and then that together with [name]Mercy[/name] (have mercy), it’s just a loaded kind of name to me. I didn’t notice it with [name]Mercy[/name] [name]Emerald[/name] Foxglove (although that is a lot of word…), which I don’t mind by the way, so maybe another middle in between is the way to keep it. Or, I’d put [name]Mercy[/name] with a more mainstream middle name since it’s already so uncommon, and pair Foxglove with something more familiar.

[name]Mercy[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Jane[/name] Foxglove
[name]Emma[/name]/[name]Emily[/name] Foxglove

really liking those.

Good luck!

I am not a big fan of virtue names and [name]Mercy[/name] reminds me of [name]Macy[/name]…another name I’m not into.
However it’s similar sound to [name]Macy[/name] does modernize the name and make it feel right fo a little girl today.

I agree that [name]Mercy[/name] [name]Emerald[/name] doesn’t work that well cause it’s two word names, but [name]Mercy[/name] [name]Esme[/name] is too S heavy & pronounced a certain way sounds like mercy is me- I don’t like that it kind of reads like a sentance.

[name]Mercy[/name] [name]Emiline[/name]
[name]Mercy[/name] Abeline
[name]Mercy[/name] [name]Adeline[/name]

If I saw the name “[name]Mercy[/name] Foxglove” somewhere, I would think, “Wow, that’s an awesome name!” I like [name]Emerald[/name] as a middle name, too, even though I’m normally not a fan of two noun names together. I agree with taz about “[name]Mercy[/name] [name]Esme[/name]” - it has too much of a sing-song sound.

[name]Mercy[/name] [name]Emerald[/name] Foxglove? Really awesome. Go for it!

It’s not really my style, but I do think it’s a nice name. The first thing it reminded me of was [name]Madonna[/name]'s daughter but she is an adorable little girl so it’s not as if the connection is a bad one. I say if you love it, use it!