Opinions on my Top 10s?

Stole this idea from [name_f]Cat[/name_f], thought it was really fun!!

I’d love to hear your opinions on my top 10s!! Could be individual name opinions, overall vibe opinions, which names you think are the most me, which names you think would fit, or anything else you want!!

Note: These aren’t in any particular order!!

Girls:

1. [name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Clelia[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Saskia[/name_f]
  6. [name_f]Madelief[/name_f]
  7. [name_f]Heracleia[/name_f]
  8. [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]
  9. [name_f]Adalet[/name_f]
  10. [name_f]Odessa[/name_f]

Boys:

1. [name_m]Daphnis[/name_m]
  2. [name_m]Lysander[/name_m]
  3. [name_m]Laertes[/name_m]
  4. [name_f]Lydian[/name_f]
  5. [name_u]Blythe[/name_u]
  6. [name_u]Mariner[/name_u]
  7. [name_m]Arledge[/name_m]
  8. [name_u]Lionel[/name_u]
  9. [name_u]Faraday[/name_u]
  10. [name_m]Sylvan[/name_m]
2 Likes

Very Shakespearian! I like it!

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites from here are probably [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], [name_f]Saskia[/name_f], [name_m]Lysander[/name_m], [name_f]Lydian[/name_f], and [name_u]Blythe[/name_u]

I adore your names!
Augusta: My favourite, very strong, summery, bold, full of life…I love how her letters look when written down and how she feels adventurous. I would picture an Augusta to be eager for knowledge, someone is full of wanderlust and loves books and music- someone effervescent in her personality and very stubborn (but we love her anyway.) I think of opera music, messy curls, and a beaten leather suitcase ready for travel!

Clelia: Slightly tongue twistery for me, but I love her none the less. I get bright yellows from her, she has a lovely golden, summery tone, like honey and daffodils. Very cheerful and bubbly, but also thoughtful- she would be an old soul who loves reading classic novels.

Lavinia: Love, again. She has a lovely lavender look and feels very graceful and sweet. I like the bit of spunk that the V adds too. I would picture a Lavinia to be a darling- always thinking of others, and always smiling. I feel like she’s elegant, but not afraid to run around and have fun.

Eulalie: Soft, pretty, and I love the lilting, musical sound. I get pastel blue from her, and think of birds and flutes and whipped cream. Very sweet and loving.

Saskia: The epitome of a cool name. I get artsy, strong, quirky vibes. Saskia is someone who is creative and imaginative and who every one loves to be around because of her charisma and unique personality. She reminds me or art palettes and summer popsicles and overalls!

Madelief: Pronunciation is a bit confusing for me when I try and say this name. I really like her as a middle especially, and I like her purple colour. I feel like a Madelief would be into abstract art and contemporary dance, someone very expressive and imaginative.

Heracleia: Bold, powerful, and colourful- this is a very eye-catching and vibrant name! I like the length and the connection to the goddess Hera- because of her I would think of bright flowers and rainbows, and the colours of nature. I wonder if the -Cleia ending is a bit too similar to Clelia though.

Gwendolen: Romantic, and so beautiful (and I love the nickname Gwen!) It reminds me of The Importance of Being Ernest, so I get a very Victorian feel- lace, corsets, sunhats…I feel like a Gwendolen would be a very vivacious person who appreciates every moment and always sees beauty in everything. I slightly prefer the spelling Gwendolyn.

Adalet: I’m 50/50 on this one. I like it, but wonder if for me it’s a bit too similar to Ada which is quite popular. However, I like how this name feels intelligent and I like the dark red tones she excludes! Very sophisticated and smart.

Odessa: I love this, she feels so feminine with the O and S but the D adds a strength to her- therefore she has a very ballet aesthetic to me with both strength and elegance. She has a silvery, ocean feel, someone who is dreamy and poetic and loves the wind and wild weather. The only downside is the association to the city in Ukraine- I personally love the connection as it is a beautiful place, but with the current conflict it might be too heavy to use. Also Odessa is the English/Russian spelling, while Odesa is the Ukrainian spelling. I mush prefer Odessa, but also acknowledge that the traditional one might be best to use.

The overall vibe of your girls names feel like a mix between romantic, dainty, and strong. You combine harder sounding consonants into otherwise very soft, musical names, giving a powerful feel- these girls all have stubborn personalities and are not afraid to stand up for what they believe in. They all have a summery, literary, artsy feel, and creative flair! They are all very extroverted!

They all sound so expensive and classy to me and quite regal!! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites out of the list are [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] , [name_m]Daphnis[/name_m] (I’ve never heard this name before and it might become my new favorite!!) [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] and [name_f]Odessa[/name_f] . Such beautiful and one of a kind names!! :slight_smile:

Thoughts on individual names:

1. [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] → clunky yet elegant, grand yet kind of fun and confident
  2. [name_f]Clelia[/name_f] → springy, bright and distinctive
  3. [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] → sleek, sharp and sophisticated
  4. [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f] → elegant and regal, with a lot of energy and bounce too - fun to say and sweet
  5. [name_f]Saskia[/name_f] → sassy, full of kick and spark - it’s feminine but rugged too
  6. [name_f]Madelief[/name_f] → light, bright and sweet - it feels familiar but unexpected too
  7. [name_f]Heracleia[/name_f] → never come across this one before - it’s sharp and powerful, bold but earthy too
  8. [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] → clunky cute and full of charm - great nickname potential too
  9. [name_f]Adalet[/name_f] → zippy and bright but poetic too
  10. [name_f]Odessa[/name_f] → strong, powerful but warm in sound

Overall vibe: distinctive, powerful names - ones that make a statement, but feel in touch with poetry, literature, nature and history. While I do think they could all work together, I’d say you could split your top ten into two catergories:
Elegant and regal, classic with a kick: [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f], [name_f]Eulalie[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]
and
Mystical, magical and poetic: [name_f]Clelia[/name_f], [name_f]Saskia[/name_f], [name_f]Madelief[/name_f], [name_f]Heracleia[/name_f], [name_f]Adalet[/name_f], [name_f]Odessa[/name_f]

A couple of names that might fit: [name_f]Belphoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaine[/name_f], [name_f]Anoushka[/name_f], [name_f]Rosamunde[/name_f], [name_f]Petronella[/name_f], [name_f]Adamary[/name_f], [name_f]Eurydice[/name_f], [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f], [name_f]Nerissa[/name_f], [name_f]Sophronia[/name_f], [name_f]Wilhelmine[/name_f], [name_f]Christabel[/name_f]

Opinions on individual names:

1. [name_m]Daphnis[/name_m] → floral, gentle and poetic with quiet strength
  2. [name_m]Lysander[/name_m] → beautiful, elegant, literary and lovely
  3. [name_m]Laertes[/name_m] → distinctive, brilliant, literary and very you
  4. [name_f]Lydian[/name_f] → I think this could grow on me - I need to spend some more time thinking on it as I keep wanting to say [name_m]Rhydian[/name_m] or [name_f]Liadan[/name_f] instead - still, there’s something very lyrical about it
  5. [name_u]Blythe[/name_u] → bright, unexpected and very cool for a boy
  6. [name_u]Mariner[/name_u] → rugged but poetic - love the imagery
  7. [name_m]Arledge[/name_m] → it’s got that clunky-cool vibe of your girls list
  8. [name_u]Lionel[/name_u] → old-man, regal vibes
  9. [name_u]Faraday[/name_u] → surname-y, breezy and bright but with an undertone of the academic-aesthetic
  10. [name_m]Sylvan[/name_m] → woodsy, sleek and sharp but quiet and peaceful too

Overall vibes: for me, your boys all feel very poetic and literary - there’s hints of [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] and the Romantics, the feel of Victorian and early 20th Century novels. There’s something quite floral and nature-y too.

A few that might fit: [name_m]Astrophel[/name_m], [name_u]Carlyle[/name_u], [name_m]Ambrosius[/name_m], Wyeth, [name_u]Hero[/name_u], [name_m]Wystan[/name_m], [name_m]Benvolio[/name_m], [name_m]Osborne[/name_m], [name_u]Hyacinth[/name_u] / Hyacinthus, [name_u]Sidney[/name_u], [name_m]Aloysius[/name_m], [name_m]Algernon[/name_m], Brontes, [name_m]Roland[/name_m] / [name_m]Rolland[/name_m], [name_u]Maurice[/name_u], [name_u]Marinell[/name_u]

love doing these!!
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] - This one has never been a favourite (if I’m being honest she just felt frumpy and not ready for revival) but I recently met such an incredible [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] - mid thirties, beautiful dark hair, working mum with an incredible media career - that I could be open to changing my mind! That’s probably unhelpful as you don’t know the woman in question though :joy:
[name_f]Clelia[/name_f] - [name_u]Love[/name_u]! [name_u]Bright[/name_u], sweet and elegant; this one was a favourite in the daycare I used to work at, so do think of it as being more popular than it is.
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] - I love this one in the middle spot - so elegant; my only issues are the ‘Lav’ sound and the connection to the bully in A [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_f]Princess[/name_f].
[name_f]Eulalie[/name_f] - Not a favourite; something about the double ‘l’ sound just with the ‘ee’ ending just doesn’t work for me - although I actually quite like [name_f]Eulalia[/name_f].
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f] - [name_f]Lovely[/name_f], gentle and feminine; she’s not a personal favourite but I’d love to see someone else use her!
[name_f]Madelief[/name_f] - [name_u]Amazing[/name_u] soft fantasy princess vibe! This is a nameberry favourite that’s really grown on me, my only problem would be the potential for nn [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] which… isn’t a favourite.
[name_f]Heracleia[/name_f] - A little harsh and clunky for me but I adore the potential for nn [name_f]Leia[/name_f]!
[name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] - [name_f]My[/name_f] adored best friend is a [name_f]Gwen[/name_f] so I feel like I can’t judge this name objectively, but I do think it’s great - fun, melodic, and a good blend of unusual and familiar.
[name_f]Adalet[/name_f] - I adore [name_f]Ada[/name_f], but the added ‘let’ is just a bit awkward to me.
[name_f]Odessa[/name_f] - Elegant and lovely, like a ballerina princess - I love that kind of name! The conflict in Ukraine might make me hesitate though, as well as the fact that Odesa is the traditional spelling.

Cool lists with a nice cohesive style! Hopefully this won’t come across as too critical or anything, I’m pretty nitpicky but there are none of these that I really dislike!

[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] - Not my favorite EVER but I do think it’s really underrated. It has a nice, strong but peaceful vibe

[name_f]Clelia[/name_f] - Not entirely sure how to say this, I want to guess CLEH-lee-a but I’m not sure. It’s ok, not really my favorite I think mostly because it seems hard to say

[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] - This one has really been growing on me, it has a really elegant feel and there’s just something satisfying about it. I also like the nickname [name_u]Vinnie[/name_u]

[name_f]Eulalie[/name_f] - I feel kind of conflicted about it tbh. I don’t usually like that sort of vowel-heavy name but it does give off a really nice vibe

[name_f]Saskia[/name_f] - It’s very pretty and unusual, I don’t feel super strongly but I generally like it

Madalief - Not a huge fan, it’s so similar to [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] yet not that it kinda trips me up. I might feel differently if it were more common where I live

[name_f]Heracleia[/name_f] - I don’t have a strong opinion, it feels very grand and mythical which isn’t my personal thing but I can’t say I dislike it

[name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] - Again I feel mostly neutral, it’s a good timeless name but not one I have a big attachment to

[name_f]Adalet[/name_f] - At first I didn’t think I liked it but the more I think about it I can sort of see the appeal… so again I’ll say neutral for now

[name_f]Odessa[/name_f] - [name_f]Kinda[/name_f] like [name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] where it’s almost satisfying to say. I’d definitely be happy to see it used

[name_m]Daphnis[/name_m] - Makes me think of dolphins for some reason? Overall it’s an ok name though, I can understand the appeal

[name_m]Lysander[/name_m] - Feels very formal and smart. Again not my personal style but I like it for others

[name_m]Laertes[/name_m] - [name_u]Eh[/name_u], not my favorite sound, it’s not terrible though

[name_f]Lydian[/name_f] - Kind of a cool masculinization of [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] (I think?), I’d say I like it

[name_u]Blythe[/name_u] - Not sure how I feel about it on a boy, I usually like feminine names on boys but this one just seems harder to picture for me. I’d have to think about it for longer

[name_u]Mariner[/name_u] - A solid, pleasant-sounding word name, my only hesitation is that I think it’s a sports team which might make it awkward on an actual person

[name_m]Arledge[/name_m] - I haven’t really thought much about it but yeah, I’d say I really like it, I like sort of bold surnamey names like this

[name_u]Lionel[/name_u] - I’ve never really liked Leo-/Lio- names too much, the sound just doesn’t appeal to me I guess. This is probably one of the ones I don’t mind as much though

[name_u]Faraday[/name_u] - I definitely like it, sort of a similar vibe to [name_m]Arledge[/name_m] but a bit more earthy and toned-down

[name_m]Sylvan[/name_m] - It has a very fancy feel that might be a bit much for me personally, bordering on preppy imo

[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] - strong, regal, bold, thoughtful, elegant
[name_f]Clelia[/name_f] - summery, sweet, elegant, playful, princessy
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f] - royal, elegant, distinguished, charming, kind of dark?
[name_f]Eulalie[/name_f] - springy, fresh, thoughtful, light, sweet
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f] - bold, adventurous, distinguished, feminine, strong
[name_f]Madelief[/name_f] - elegant, uncommon, unique, princessy, thoughtful
[name_f]Heracleia[/name_f] - bold, strong, royal, powerful, feminine
[name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f] - traditional, charming, light, elegant, sweet
[name_f]Adalet[/name_f] - mysterious, romantic, elegant, vintage, princessy
[name_f]Odessa[/name_f] - unique, powerful, sweet, thoughtful, bold

[name_u]Will[/name_u] probably come back for the boys later!

I’ll rank them from favorite to least favorite :slightly_smiling_face:

[name_f]Eulalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]
[name_f]Madelief[/name_f]
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
[name_f]Odessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f]
[name_f]Heracleia[/name_f]
[name_f]Adalet[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]
[name_f]Clelia[/name_f]

[name_m]Laertes[/name_m]