Opinions on names and any other suggestions please

Our shortlist at the moment is
[name]Holly[/name] [name]Sophia[/name]
[name]India[/name] [name]Constance[/name]

[name]Holly[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name]

I’ve got two boys and a girl already. I don’t want to list all their names but my little girl is Cle me ntine So phie so those names are obviously out.

Other names floating around on our list are [name]Harriet[/name], [name]Coco[/name], [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Delphine[/name] (hb doesn’t like), [name]Seren[/name] (I’m not keen, hb is), [name]Carys[/name], [name]Flora[/name], [name]Violet[/name].

I like shortening names so I’m struggling with [name]Holly[/name] a bit and I prefer unusual names to ones that are very popular.

So does anyone have any comments on [name]Holly[/name] and [name]India[/name] or any other suggestions for first names or middle names?

x

[name]India[/name] [name]Constance[/name] has this certain eccentric aristocratic boho feel - I love it!

I really think [name]Holly[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name] is too off kilter to work. [name]Holly[/name] is so 70’s (I knew so many Hollies growing up) and [name]Ophelia[/name] is Shakespearean – just doesn’t work. I don’t know that I’d want to name my child after poor abused and suicidal [name]Ophelia[/name].

[name]India[/name] [name]Constance[/name] is much better, styles seem to match more. I’m not fond of [name]India[/name], but [name]Constance[/name] really goes with [name]Clementine[/name] and [name]Sophie[/name]. What about [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Constance[/name] instead?

[name]Helen[/name] [name]Octavia[/name]?
[name]Harriet[/name] [name]Olwen[/name]
[name]Rosamund[/name] [name]Cordelia[/name] (sorry, I just couldn’t resist a better Shakespearean name)
[name]Katherine[/name] [name]Jessamine[/name]

I love the name [name]Holly[/name]!

I adore [name]India[/name] [name]Constance[/name]! It has that lovely vintage, quirky feel.

Plus, I think it really works with your daughter’s name. Plus, [name]Indi[/name] is a cute nickname.

I’m not keen on [name]Holly[/name]. It doesn’t feel as quirky or sweet to me.

Of your other names, I like [name]Harriet[/name], but I don’t think it quite goes with [name]Clem[/name]—entine. [name]Violet[/name] is cute. I probably prefer [name]Florence[/name] to [name]Flora[/name], using the nickname [name]Flossie[/name]. I really like [name]Seren[/name] as a second name.

[name]India[/name] [name]Seren[/name]?

Other ideas for you –

[name]Tallulah[/name] nn [name]Lulu[/name], [name]Tallie[/name]
[name]Araminta[/name] nn [name]Minty[/name]
[name]Venetia[/name] (pronounced [name]Ven[/name]-ee-sha)
[name]Frederica[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name] nn [name]Nola[/name], [name]Maggie[/name]
[name]Clover[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name] nn [name]Theo[/name], [name]Teddy[/name]

:slight_smile: [name]Petra[/name]

That’s the kind of ‘feel’ that I want :slight_smile:

The [name]Ophelia[/name]/[name]Shakespeare[/name] thing doesn’t bother me but I’m not so sure of it anyway.
[name]India[/name] is one of those love it or hate it names I think. I like [name]Imogen[/name] but I like shortening names and think that [name]Clemmie[/name] and Immie would be too similar. [name]Helen[/name] and [name]Katherine[/name] aren’t for me. I can’t make up my mind about [name]Harriet[/name]. It’s hovering on my list but I can’t quite make it a definite.
Thanks for the suggestions though :slight_smile:

[name]India[/name] [name]Constance[/name] is the more resonant by far of the two names and that sounds like the feeling you are looking for. Personally I think [name]India[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name] has both a nicer flow and a more aristocratic ring to it than either of the other combinations. [name]Holly[/name] isn’t a bad name it is however rather blah compared to the richness of [name]India[/name].
As far as the other names you are considering [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Flora[/name] & [name]Violet[/name] are all beautiful and [name]Flora[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] is a combination close in spirit to [name]India[/name] [name]Constance[/name] or [name]India[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name] and [name]Violet[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name] is a lovely match.
[name]Coco[/name]-So very far from the feeling of all your other names and if you’re looking for something a little more refined this surely is not it.
[name]Harriet[/name]-Is still an old lady name maybe one more generation and it will come back.
[name]Delphine[/name]-I really like this but it does have the unfortunate nickname [name]Delly[/name] or as will be inevitable once she gets to school [name]Deli[/name] and from there lunch meat or some other tragic nickname.
[name]Seren[/name] & [name]Carys[/name]- A life time of mispronuncation and explainations. Is it [name]Serene[/name] or Sirun, is it [name]Caris[/name] or Carries or Caress? [name]Serena[/name] is a great name though.
[name]Hope[/name] that helps.

Thanks for your comments. I love [name]Indie[/name] as a nn. Up until a week or so ago I was swinging towards [name]Holly[/name] but now I’m more keen on [name]India[/name]. I like some of the other names you’ve suggested but they’re not for us iyswim.

I know what you mean about [name]Holly[/name]. I think that’s what is holding me back from using it. I’m not sure about [name]India[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name] because of the sort of rhyming feel to it.
I’m quite taken with [name]Violet[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name].
Know what you mean about [name]Coco[/name].
[name]Delphine[/name] isn’t a true contender as hb doesn’t like it anyway. I’m not sure the [name]Delly[/name] thing would put me off as I think kids can make up a nn for almost anything.
[name]Seren[/name] and [name]Carys[/name] - they’re not my faves, more my hb’s. We’re in [name]Wales[/name] though so pronuncuation wouldn’t be a problem!
Thanks for your comments :slight_smile: