Opinions on our baby girl name

So, I posted sometime back about how my husband & I couldn’t find a name we really loved. Since then I came across the name [name]ESMAE[/name] ([name]Mae[/name] is grandma’s name). The only problem is that a lot of people tend to associate the name with Twilight. Keep in mind that I’d never heard of the twilight thing until a few folks started asking. I love the name & how it incorporates grandma’s name in it. The middle name will be [name]RUTH[/name] after DH grandma. My question is…[name]Will[/name] [name]ESMAE[/name] become too popular because of the books & movies (if it does it will drive me nuts)? [name]TIA[/name]!!

Anyone? Please give me some opinions…this is my soon-to-be daughter’s name. Thanks!

For the most part, I think associations with pop culture will pass. I guarantee you 20 years ago, people were worried about people associating the name [name]Elliot[/name] with the movie E.T. - but when was the last time you thought about E.T.?

There are some exceptions (for me, [name]Fiona[/name] will always be from Shrek), but even the exceptions are confined to a particular age group. Also, I’m pretty sure that Twilight won’t have the legacy of E.T. or Shrek.

Also, for the record, I saw Twilight and didn’t recall that there was a character named [name]Esmae[/name] : )

I think a big slice of the Twilight fanatics (or Twihards :slight_smile: ) are a bit young to be having babies just yet, so your [name]Esmae[/name] will come along a lot sooner than any of their [name]Esme[/name]'s will.

Also, [name]Esme[/name] is the name of the Mum character in the series, so I really think if they do go for a Twilight name, they will choose the younger, “cooler” characters like [name]Bella[/name], [name]Rosalie[/name] and [name]Alice[/name].

Good luck :slight_smile:

I think [name]Esme[/name] is gorgeous, but to me, the [name]Esmae[/name] spelling looks quite strange and yooneek. I’d personally stick with the authentic spelling.

Other names related to [name]Mae[/name]/Names with a potential [name]Mae[/name] nickname:

[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Maisie[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name]
[name]May[/name]/[name]Mae[/name] (I love it!)

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Not being a Twilight lover, I’m not familiar with the association either. BUT the fact that people have asked you about it means that it IS in people’s minds. And I have heard a lot of buzz about this name that certainly didn’t exist before. Plus, I agree with [name]Jill[/name] that I’m not nuts about the [name]Esmae[/name] spelling – though I understand that for you it “makes” the name.

If you love it, especially after all the trouble you’ve had, then you should embrace it. But I do think it’s likely there will be more Esmes around and that some people will make the Twilight association, so you do need to be prepared to live with that. I know that’s not what you want to hear, but I’m sure you’d rather hear it now that a few months from now!

You might consider naming her [name]Esmae[/name] and CALLING her [name]Mae[/name], which is indeed lovely.

Thanks for all of your help. I’m not trying to be yooneek by spelling it [name]MAE[/name]. My grandma raised me and gave up so much for me that I have to honor her. The problem with just usin [name]MAE[/name] or calling her [name]MAE[/name] is that our last name is just one syllable…not appealing. I’m well into my thirties and can take a little jabbing at the name because of twilight. However, I can’t take her being one of many ESMEs in her school. Oh, well.

I love the name and the fact that it honors your grandmother. The 2008 social security list shows that [name]Esme[/name] didn’t even hit 1000 in popularity last year. And while its popularity might increase slightly, I doubt that it will jump 1000 spots. Ya know what I mean? So while the name is “heard” more right now, I’m not sure that you’ll have to worry about the 3 Esmes per class, thing.

I wouldn’t worry about her being one of many Esmes if it didn’t even hit 1000 last year. The top name for my birth year is [name]Jessica[/name], but of the 100 kids in my grade through elementary, there wasn’t one [name]Jessica[/name]. However, two grades behind me, there were three Ariahs and two Adaires. Who would’ve guessed? You’re probably better off to check the births section your local newspaper so you can see what names are common in your area.

I think [name]Esme[/name] is a very pretty name! But I would spell it [name]Esme[/name] and not [name]Esmae[/name]. I think that would still be honoring your grandmother because the sound “me” is so very similar to “mae”. I don’t think [name]Esme[/name] will get super popular, but you never know.