Opinions on our list

My partner and I aren’t married yet and definitely won’t have kids for at least a year, but I’d like to start whittling down our list now. It’s most important to me that names have a special significance behind them (ie family names, close friends, important places, etc), but my fiancé mainly cares about how a name sounds and that it isn’t very common.

Our current idea list has:

Adelaide [name_f]Esme[/name_f] “[name_f]Lady[/name_f]/Ladybug”
-we like the sound, and I love ladybug, but there’s no significance; middle could change

Beatrice [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] “[name_f]Bea[/name_f]/Bumblebee”
-we love it, but there’s no significance

Clementine [name_f]Alice[/name_f] “[name_f]Minnie[/name_f]/Lemon”
-we LOVE the first and like the middle, but there’s no real significance

Josephine [name_f]Frances[/name_f] “[name_u]Josie[/name_u]/Posy”
-feminizations of our confirmation names, also family names

Marigold [name_f]Lindie[/name_f] “[name_f]Mari[/name_f]/Goldie/MariLin”
-creative honor names for our moms

Winifred [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] “[name_f]Winnie[/name_f]/Win”
-we like [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] a lot, not sold on the middle, and there’s no significance

Eleanor [name_f]Euphemia[/name_f] “[name_f]Nell[/name_f]”
-no significance

Susan [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] “[name_f]Essie[/name_f]”
-family names, I love the nickname

Philippa [name_f]Clover[/name_f] “[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]”
-no significance

Erika
-I don’t love it, but my fiancé really wants it as it’s a family name on his side; combo suggestions and nicknames appreciated

Anthony [name_m]Eugene[/name_m]
-probably no nickname, family names

Augustus [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] “[name_u]Gus[/name_u]”
-[name_m]Augustus[/name_m] was my late father’s favorite name, we love St. [name_u]Blaise[/name_u], and I like the connection of [name_u]Gus[/name_u] the firefly with a fiery blaze

Charles [name_m]Alastair[/name_m] “[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]”
-[name_m]Charles[/name_m] is the patron saint of the parish that we belong to. I like [name_m]Alastair[/name_m], but I’m not in love with it, so suggestions are welcome.

Christopher [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] “[name_u]Kit[/name_u]”
-we love the nickname, my fiancé loves anything with a “K” and we love the name [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]. Unfortunately there’s no special meaning.

Clarence
-a family name that we love but don’t have any combos for. I think I like it better as a middle, but I’m open to using it as a first.

John [name_m]Henry[/name_m] “[name_u]Harry[/name_u]”
-name of the place where we met, also family names

Joseph [name_u]Francis[/name_u] “[name_m]Zeff[/name_m]”
-family names, our confirmation names, follows family tradition for the name of our first son on my fiancé’s side

Leopold [name_m]Bruno[/name_m] “[name_m]Leo[/name_m]”
-middle name is a family name, first name just goes well with it

Robert [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] “[name_u]Bobby[/name_u]/Bear”
-family names. Both of our dads are named [name_m]Robert[/name_m] and my culture’s rule for naming the first son is that the first name is the paternal grandfather and the middle is the maternal grandfather. Since both of our dads are [name_m]Robert[/name_m], the first is for his dad, nickname for mine, and the middle maternal grandfather spot honors my stepdad and grandfather so that the name isn’t [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_m]Robert[/name_m]

William [name_u]Francis[/name_u] “[name_m]Wills[/name_m]/Wim”
-family names, my favorite boy combo for nearly a decade. [name_f]My[/name_f] preferred nickname is [name_m]Wills[/name_m], but it’s not very common and my cousin’s nickname, is using it like stealing?

Which are your favorites from the list?
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] or [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u]?
[name_m]Can[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u]/Frances be used as middles more than once?
If I use [name_m]Wim[/name_m] as a nickname for [name_m]William[/name_m] instead of [name_m]Wills[/name_m], should I avoid using [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] since [name_m]Wim[/name_m] and [name_u]Win[/name_u] are so similar?

Thanks so much!

1 Like

aww I love your list!
[name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Lindie[/name_f] for girls. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites for boys are [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] and [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_u]Blaise[/name_u]. I love how vintage and classic they sound!

I prefer [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f]. So pretty and unique!

I personally wouldn’t choose the same middle name for my kids because I would want their names to be different and unique from eachother but I don’t think that its weird at all if you chose to.

I would avoid using [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] if you use the nn [name_m]Wim[/name_m] because they are pretty similar.

Adelaide [name_f]Esme[/name_f] is gorgeous and elegant

Beatrice [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is beautiful and lovely

Clementine [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is so vintage and charming

Augustus [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] is so cool and bright

Christopher [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] has so much charm

1 Like

Thanks so much! I love your list too! Lots of classic gems.

1 Like

Beatrice, clementine, [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] combos are good.
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m], [name_m]Charles[/name_m], [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] (spelled [name_m]Kristopher[/name_m]) combos are good.
Not everything has too be meaningful; you can like it too like it.
Prefer [name_f]Josephine[/name_f].
Use [name_u]Fran[/name_u]- once.
Try [name_u]Liam[/name_u] instead of [name_m]Wim[/name_m], they are too similar.

Beatrice [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] and [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] are perfect! I love [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_u]Blaise[/name_u]!
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Esme[/name_f], [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f], [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Lindie[/name_f], [name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] and [name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f] are beautiful.
[name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Alistair[/name_m] and [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] are very handsome name! [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u] is very handsome names with great meanings to you and your families.
I adore [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f], but I’m not crazy about [name_f]Euphemia[/name_f] or [name_f]Winifred[/name_f].

I do prefer [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] to [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u], but I believe you could use both [name_f]Frances[/name_f] and [name_u]Francis[/name_u] as middle names for different combos.
[name_m]Wim[/name_m] and [name_u]Win[/name_u] are very similar, but they’re just nicknames and nicknames sometimes change when we grow up. So, I wouldn’t eliminate [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] right away.

1 Like

I like [name_f]Erika[/name_f] and [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] from the list. I prefer [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] over [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u] and I would not use [name_f]Frances[/name_f]/Francis twice, but it’s only the middle name so it doesn’t matter too much. Yes, you should avoid using [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] if you use [name_m]Wim[/name_m] as a nickname for [name_m]William[/name_m].

All of your names are lovely but [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] stands out for me. It’s just gorgeous and is definitely my favourite. [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] [name_f]Euphemia[/name_f] ‘[name_f]Nell[/name_f]’ is also brilliant. It seems I love the ones that have the least meaning for you!

Beatrice [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] is also nice but I would much prefer it as [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] (for me the ‘x’ ending adds so much sound to the name).

Other names on your girls’ list I like: [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_f]Frances[/name_f], [name_f]Clover[/name_f]…

([name_f]Winifred[/name_f] is one I sort of like but more for it’s possible nicknames, especially [name_u]Freddie[/name_u], than for the name as a whole).

For boys, I love [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_u]Blaise[/name_u], [name_m]Leopold[/name_m] [name_m]Bruno[/name_m] and [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u]. The former two are especially brilliant and I love both [name_m]Wills[/name_m] and [name_m]Wim[/name_m] as nicknames for [name_m]William[/name_m].

Christopher [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] is a great choice too although I’d personally prefer just [name_u]Kit[/name_u] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] (such a handsome, spunky combo!).

Charles [name_m]Alastair[/name_m] ‘[name_u]Charlie[/name_u]’ And [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] ‘[name_u]Harry[/name_u]’ are good, solid names too; I especially love [name_m]Henry[/name_m].

Joseph nn [name_m]Zeff[/name_m] is quite cool but with [name_u]Francis[/name_u] I feel the flow is off. [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] definitely flows better, even though I prefer [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] to [name_f]Josephine[/name_f].

Overall, my favourites are:

Clementine [name_f]Alice[/name_f] + [name_m]Leopold[/name_m] [name_m]Bruno[/name_m] (although [name_u]Kit[/name_u] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] would take the top spot if that were an option).

Thank you so much for all the feed back! I think I prefer the “meaningless” names too as I like them enough to put them on the list despite not adhering to my #1 rule.
I love [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] too, but it sounds a bit strange with my fiancé’s surname, which is a shame.
I also only like [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] for the nicknames and feel basically the same about [name_m]Christopher[/name_m], but I love my name ([name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]) because it’s let me have a formal name and a nicknames for different parts of my life.
With [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]/Josephine I also think [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] sounds better (3+2 is my preferred syllable count), but I wanted validation from strangers lol

Adelaide and [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] are my favorites.

I love [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Lindie[/name_f] nn MariLin! For boys, my favorite is [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_u]Blaise[/name_u].

My favorites:
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] - I prefer this over [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u]. I would only use [name_f]Frances[/name_f]/Francis once.
[name_f]Winifred[/name_f] [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] - If you use [name_m]William[/name_m] nn [name_m]Wim[/name_m], then I would probably save [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] for a middle name.
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f] [name_f]Clover[/name_f]
[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_u]Blaise[/name_u]
[name_m]Leopold[/name_m] [name_m]Bruno[/name_m]

Are you open to two middles? That way you could fit in more honor names in combos you feel have less significance?

I like [name_m]Clarence[/name_m]. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u]?

I really love your style and you have so many beautiful names. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorites are:

Josephine [name_f]Frances[/name_f]: love both these names and ADORE [name_u]Josie[/name_u]
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Lindie[/name_f]: I think [name_f]Lindie[/name_f] is so cute and MariLin is adorable
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] and [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Esme[/name_f]: these are both nice solid combos but the nicknames are SO adorable they just deserved a special shoutout

Anthony [name_m]Eugene[/name_m]: absolutely adore [name_m]Anthony[/name_m], it is such a perfect name
[name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]: this is so handsome, I love the honor concept, and [name_u]Bobby[/name_u] is adorable
[name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u]: so handsome and I love [name_u]Francis[/name_u] (as well as [name_f]Frances[/name_f])

I think [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u] flows better as a combination but I like [name_u]Josie[/name_u] so much that I lean towards the girl version too. Basically, they’re both great.

I would say that [name_u]Francis[/name_u]/Frances could be used as a middle more than once especially with family significance, my mom is a [name_f]Mary[/name_f] with a sister whose middle name is [name_u]Marie[/name_u] and it’s not a big deal. I feel like many Catholic families have some of these names with significance that are repeated multiple times especially if they’re large families, and I’m guessing from your post that you are Catholic as well. It happens!

I think [name_m]Wim[/name_m] and [name_u]Win[/name_u] are too similar for sibling nicknames, yeah.

Thanks @cactusgram I always love your feedback! I’m hesitantly open to multiple middles but I worry about flow as well as people thinking that I’m trying too hard. I also anticipate my hypothetical children choosing a confirmation name when they’re older so all the names feel a little bit overwhelming, but if you have any extra long combos you think would work I’d love to see them! Other potential honors are [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Frida[/name_f], [name_f]Kathleen[/name_f], [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Marianne[/name_f], [name_u]Anne[/name_u], [name_f]Brigid[/name_f], [name_u]Julie[/name_u], [name_f]Marsha[/name_f], [name_m]Ferdinand[/name_m], and [name_u]James[/name_u].

Clarence [name_u]Francis[/name_u] sounds a bit choppy with my fiancé’s last name (two rhyming syllables, dominant “en” sound) but I think if we had a [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] I could swap [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u] for [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Clarence[/name_m], and then he’d have a name for a grandfather on each side instead of being named after my mom’s parents.

Thanks again!

1 Like

@findemaxa13 thank you so much! Despite being years away (if ever) I’ve already started planning ladybug and bumblebee themed first birthday parties! I’m glad you like the honor names, they seem to be unpopular on here, probably because so many berries have beautiful, eclectic tastes, but they really mean a lot to me (now I’ve just to get the fiancé on board). You’re definitely on pointe with the Catholic thing, sometimes I think we might embrace the catholic stereotype and have 20 kids just to use all the names we love!

I’m increasingly convinced that [name_m]Wim[/name_m] and [name_u]Win[/name_u] are too similar, but I realize that [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] probably are too. What are your thoughts? Is it tacky? Or cute like the poem [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] slept in a shell?

2 Likes

I think [name_f]Minnie[/name_f] and [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] are too close, sorry :frowning:

I have a lot more conventional taste than many people on here, I think so I’m just like whoo!!! [name_m]Anthony[/name_m]!!

You don’t need to be sorry, I asked for your opinion, and I’m glad you shared! [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u] and [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] [name_m]Eugene[/name_m] have always been my top two boy names because they’re my grandparents names ([name_m]William[/name_m] & [name_f]Frances[/name_f] and [name_m]Eugene[/name_m] & [name_f]Antoinette[/name_f]), but they’re not my partner’s cup of tea. He really dislikes [name_m]Will[/name_m] because he think it sounds like the start of a question. What do you think a better nickname would be? In the same vein, are there any [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] nicknames that aren’t [name_u]Tony[/name_u]?

1 Like

I’m in love with your list! SO gorgeous :heart_eyes: [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Lindie[/name_f], [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] and [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f] stuck out for me in particular for the girls.

I’ve just been playing around with middle names and I quite like:
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Erika[/name_f] [name_f]Susan[/name_f]
[name_f]Erika[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Erika[/name_f]

Nicknames for [name_f]Erika[/name_f]:
[name_u]Rickie[/name_u]
[name_f]Rika[/name_f]
Errie or [name_f]Eri[/name_f]
Roo
[name_f]Erin[/name_f]
Ezzy

Middle names for [name_f]Erika[/name_f]:
[name_f]Erika[/name_f] [name_f]Bellerose[/name_f]
[name_f]Erika[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Erika[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
[name_f]Erika[/name_f] [name_f]Prudence[/name_f]
[name_f]Erika[/name_f] [name_f]Lilac[/name_f]
[name_f]Erika[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]
[name_f]Erika[/name_f] [name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Erika[/name_f] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f]

I love [name_m]Augustus[/name_m] [name_u]Blaise[/name_u] and [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u], especially, for the boys.

Nicknames for [name_m]Anthony[/name_m]:
Ant
[name_m]Anton[/name_m]
[name_u]Andy[/name_u]
[name_u]Nat[/name_u]
Tee
Tone
[name_m]Nino[/name_m]
[name_m]Tito[/name_m]

[name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]
[name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Antonio[/name_m]
[name_m]Charles[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]

[name_m]William[/name_m] [name_m]Clarence[/name_m]
[name_m]Clarence[/name_m] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]
[name_m]Clarence[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]
[name_m]Clarence[/name_m] [name_m]Edward[/name_m]

If you’re close to your cousin, they might be a little offended. Maybe you could ask them first to see if they would mind? I like [name_u]Billy[/name_u] as a nn for [name_m]William[/name_m]. Then you could use [name_u]Billy[/name_u] and [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]. I think [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] are too close anyway because I like siblings to have different initials, but that’s just me.

I prefer [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] because the two syllables in both [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u] are a little off-putting and the ph of [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] doesn’t merge well with the F of [name_u]Francis[/name_u], in my opinion. I don’t really like shared middle names but my cousins have the same middle name and there have never been any issues.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] I’ve helped!

I love your nicknames! I’m a big fan of sweet, creative nicknames.

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites:
[name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Esme[/name_f] ~ I absolutely love ladybug!!
[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] [name_f]Lindie[/name_f] ~ So pretty, and it’s lovely
that it has meaning for you.
[name_f]Winifred[/name_f] [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f] ~ I know you aren’t sold on it, but I adore [name_f]Bluebell[/name_f].

[name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] ~ I’m a huge fan of [name_u]Kit[/name_u] as a nickname.
[name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u] ~ I don’t think it’s cheating - loving imitation at most.

I prefer [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f], but that’s just personal preference.

I don’t think you could have two children, one with the middle name [name_f]Frances[/name_f], the other with the middle name [name_u]Francis[/name_u], if that’s what you mean.

I think [name_m]Wim[/name_m] and [name_u]Win[/name_u] (nie) are too similar, but I think you should just go with [name_m]Wills[/name_m] for a nickname, since that’s what you prefer.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] I can help! :slight_smile:

I love love love [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] [name_f]Esme[/name_f], [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_f]Primrose[/name_f], [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], [name_m]William[/name_m] [name_f]Frances[/name_f], and the nicknames!
I prefer [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f] to [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_u]Francis[/name_u], but both are very nice.
I think [name_u]Francis[/name_u]/Frances can be used as a middle more than once- I actually know a bunch of siblings with the same middle because it’s an honor name.
I do think [name_m]Wim[/name_m] and [name_u]Win[/name_u] are similar but I really love both so much… I agree with what @Estrela said about nicknames changing over time! I wouldn’t necessarily eliminate [name_f]Winifred[/name_f] because of [name_m]Wim[/name_m] (or vice versa).

1 Like