Opinions on our top 4 baby girl names! :)

Hello nameberry crew!

We are looking for some opinions on our top 4 name choices for our baby girl arriving in a few weeks:

1. [name_u]Madison[/name_u] ([name_f]Maddie[/name_f])
  2. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] ([name_u]Penny[/name_u])
  3. [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]
  4. [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]

Possible middle names: [name_f]Joy[/name_f], [name_u]Jean[/name_u], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]

Would love to know your thoughts - we are having a tough time choosing!!

:slight_smile:

From your list, my favourite is [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]! [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] would be lovely! I also like [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] as a combo.

First of all, they’re all pretty names and I don’t think you can go wrong.

[name_u]Madison[/name_u] - I’m in my 20s, and I know so many Madisons / Madelines / Madelyns / Maddies / Maddys, I don’t really love it anymore. That said, I don’t know how many baby [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]'s are being born in 2019, so it could still be ok.

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] - I think [name_u]Penny[/name_u] is my favourite from your list. I like that she’s got a long name, but can easily shorten it, and that you’ve picked the most obvious nickname, which will save her years of effort of - “I know [name_u]Penny[/name_u] makes sense, but I actually go by [name_f]Lola[/name_f]” etc.

[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] - A pretty name, I feel it’s somewhat dated.

[name_f]Celeste[/name_f] - I just prefer the sound of [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] to the sound of [name_f]Celeste[/name_f].

Out of the options I think [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] is the prettiest and also goes well with the others

[name_f]Celeste[/name_f] and [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] are both beyond gorgeous. I love nn [name_u]Penny[/name_u] for [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], and I love how unique [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] is, without being weird or unfamiliar.

I think [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] “[name_u]Penny[/name_u]” [name_f]Joy[/name_f] and [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] are the loveliest of your options.

[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] is pretty too, but [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] are just so stunning that [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] is #3 for me.

[name_u]Madison[/name_u] comes in at a distant #4 for me. I know sooooooooo many, ranging in age from 0-30. When I’ve met ever so many, it doesn’t feel special anymore, but that’s just me.

PS. I really like the wonderful combined meaning of [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] - [name_f]Heavenly[/name_f] morning.

I love [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] best from your list. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] would be my pick. It is classic and on-trend, the nickname gives it versatility, and it works well with all of your middle name choices. My second choice would be [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u].

Oh wow - thanks so much for the awesome feedback thus far :slight_smile: It is so great to hear your impressions!! Claireelisewren I had never thought about celeste dawn as heavenly morning - lovely!! :slight_smile:

I love [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]!! [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] or [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] would be lovely!!

[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] is stunning!

You have a lovely list, and your daughter is going to have a lovely name.

[name_u]Madison[/name_u] ([name_f]Maddie[/name_f]): While this is a nice name, I just don’t see it as fitting with your style. It’s extremely popular, being within the top 20, and being 15, I’ve known so many that I’ve lost its luster. In addition, many of the names you like are timeless, where [name_u]Madison[/name_u] seems tied to a specific era. It’s also far less distinctively feminine than the other three names you like, and is very unisex. My favorite [name_u]Madison[/name_u] combos are Madson [name_f]Joy[/name_f] and [name_u]Madison[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f].
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] ([name_u]Penny[/name_u]): This is such a striking, beautiful name. It is quite popular, but not so much as [name_u]Madison[/name_u], and fits with the feminine, ethereal style you love. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] is my favorite because [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] is contemporary but classic, and [name_u]Jean[/name_u] is vintage and tailored. I also adore [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] (the “o” sounds!) and [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f]!
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]: I love this name. It is so feminine, lush, and beautiful. It’s also very much a classic. [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is my favorite combo because of the color connection between the two; “[name_u]Red[/name_u] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]” is such an awesome meaning!
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]: This might be my favorite for you. Etheral, bright, long history of use, and striking. I like the suggestion of [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] a lot, but I also like [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f].

[name_u]Madison[/name_u]- I don’t personally like [name_u]Madison[/name_u], but I don’t mind [name_f]Maddie[/name_f], [name_u]Madison[/name_u] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] is lovely
[name_f]Penelope[/name_f]- My favourite the nicknames are lovely, [name_f]Nellie[/name_f], [name_u]Pennie[/name_u] etc, [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] is gorgeous
[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]- I like [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f], I think its so underrated [name_f]IMO[/name_f], [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_f]Dawn[/name_f] is my favourite combo
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]- So nice, it’s in the same groups as [name_f]Luna[/name_f] and [name_m]Apollo[/name_m], but it’s so different and unique, [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]/ [name_f]Joy[/name_f] is so beautiful!

I love [name_f]Penelope[/name_f]! [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is cute, but my vote is for [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]. One of the happiest names I’ve ever heard!

My favourites are [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Celeste[/name_f], but only as a middle name. I don’t care for [name_u]Madison[/name_u], but see the appeal, and I do like [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]/[name_f]Maddy[/name_f].

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]/[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] and [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f]/[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] are gorgeous!

Oh thanks so much for all of the fantastic input :slight_smile: It is so great to hear everyone’s opinions!!

My favorites from your list are [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] :slight_smile:

1. [name_u]Madison[/name_u] ([name_f]Maddie[/name_f]) - seems dated and not ready for a come back
  2. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] ([name_u]Penny[/name_u]) - great choice
  3. [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] - okay but again seems a little dated
  4. [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] - I love this name and wish it was used more

My first choice would be [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] [name_u]Jean[/name_u] and my second would be [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f].

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] is such a cheerful name- I love it! The only name on your list I would avoid is [name_u]Madison[/name_u] because of how popular [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] is.

[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] ([name_u]Penny[/name_u]) or [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] for sure. I slightly prefer the sound of [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] and [name_u]Penny[/name_u] especially if popularity isn’t an issue, and I like [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] for being a more unique option with a gorgeous meaning.

I agree with the prevailing opinion that [name_u]Madison[/name_u]/[name_f]Maddie[/name_f]/Madi are overused and dated. [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] is a wonderful name!

[name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_f]Joy[/name_f] is adorable!