Opinions on these "Grandma" names?

What do you guys think of [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], [name_f]Magali[/name_f], [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], [name_f]Eloisa[/name_f], [name_f]Josephina[/name_f], [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] and Madalena?

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] – I think [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] is cute, but I much prefer [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f].

[name_f]Magali[/name_f] – Dislike, sorry.

[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] – [name_u]Love[/name_u].

[name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] – Feminine and sweet. To me it sounds very timeless and elegant.

[name_f]Josephina[/name_f] – I prefer the spelling [name_f]Josefina[/name_f], but I find the name itself very frilly and over-the-top. [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] is a better choice, imo.

[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] – Very “heavy” and strong. I think it can be a solid choice. I love the nicknames [name_f]Willa[/name_f] and [name_f]Mina[/name_f].

Madalena – Personally, I’m not a fan. It’s just something about it that throws me off, although I’m not quite sure of what. It’s a nice alternative to the popular [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] / [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f].

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] - I find this name so sweet and don’t at all associate it as a Grandma name. I think this may be because of The [name_m]Wizard[/name_m] of [name_m]Oz[/name_m]. It’s made the name seem very timeless.

[name_f]Magali[/name_f] - Dislike. I just don’t find anything attractive about it.

[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] - I don’t love this name but I don’t hate it. I find all [name_u]August[/name_u]- names very masculine.

[name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] - Very feminine and adorable.

[name_f]Josephina[/name_f] - I don’t like this name, not sure why.

[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] - See above.

Madalena - It looks like it’s missing the g, so [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f].

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] - lovely and cute!
[name_f]Magali[/name_f] - sorry, I don’t like it
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] - nice name
[name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] - better stick with [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] or Eloísa (with the accent)
[name_f]Josephina[/name_f] - it’s an interesting variant of [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] - unique and classic
Madalena - looks totally misspelled. [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] is way nicer :slight_smile:

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] and [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] are wonderful.
I’m really liking [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] lately. I also like many [name_u]August[/name_u] names, so [name_f]Augusta[/name_f] is fitting in.
Madalena is gorgeous although it’s not my taste currently.
You may like [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] and [name_f]Mathilde[/name_f].(mah-[name_u]TEAL[/name_u])

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] - I’m not a fan of [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f].
[name_f]Magali[/name_f] - I find it unattractive.
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] - This name has been growing on me, but it is a bit stiff.
[name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] - Meh.
[name_f]Josephina[/name_f] - Meh.
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] - It’s okay, although stuffy.
[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] - It doesn’t seem like a grandma name to me, and it’s okay.

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] names from the turn of the century. What I love about them is their femininity wilst still being strong. Because of that, I prefer names without the a sound at the end, [name_f]Josephine[/name_f], [name_f]Eloise[/name_f], [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f]…

That would be my only reservation about those names…I’d drop the a.

But in general, love the style!!

My husband was particularly fond of [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f]. My only concern with it was how people pronounced it. Dor-thy… Amazing! Dor-o-thy…clunky :confused:

What about [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]? It’s my grandmother’s middle name ([name_f]Mar[/name_f]ía [name_f]Celeste[/name_f]).

I’ve eliminated [name_f]Josephina[/name_f], [name_f]Magali[/name_f] (sounds too much like a nickname), [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], Madalena and [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] (too hard to pronounce for my family members) from my list.

The ones I’m seriously considering are: [name_f]Barbara[/name_f], [name_f]Celeste[/name_f] and [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f].

Of your final three I love [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f].

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] [name_f]Barbara[/name_f], perhaps?

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f]!

What do you guys think of [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], [name_f]Magali[/name_f], [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], [name_f]Eloisa[/name_f], [name_f]Josephina[/name_f], [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] and Madalena?

Some I like others I hate. The ones I like are like are:

[name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
[name_f]Eloisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Josephina[/name_f]
Kind of [name_f]Madelena[/name_f]

[name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] is BY FAR my favorite, it has such a musical and romantic feel to it while the other names has a bit of clunkiness to it in my opinion.

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] - not a fan, sorry. Something about the sound is so clunky to me, and it feels dated.
[name_f]Magali[/name_f] - not sure how this is a grandma name, but I don’t like this much either. I prefer [name_f]Maggie[/name_f].
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] - [name_u]LOVE[/name_u]. I’d call her [name_u]Gus[/name_u] most likely, but I dig boyish nicknames for feminine names.
[name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] - I like this one too!
[name_f]Josephina[/name_f] - It’s okay. A little too frilly for me but it’s definitely not a bad name.
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] - For me the association with [name_m]William[/name_m] is a negative, and I think it’s too heavy. [name_f]Willa[/name_f]?
Madalena - my tablet tried to autocorrect this to [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] at least four times, so there’s that. I am not a fan of any of the Mad- names either.

I prefer [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f], but other than that the only name I like is [name_f]Augusta[/name_f], Which I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u]

I love [name_f]Josephina[/name_f] and [name_f]Magali[/name_f]. I met the sweetest 3 year old named [name_f]Magali[/name_f]. I prefer [name_f]Josephina[/name_f] spelled [name_f]Josefina[/name_f]. Wilhemina and [name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] are ok, but the others I don’t like.

[name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] - I know these names are back in fashion, but this one has just never resonated with me. [name_m]Just[/name_m] a personal preference.
[name_f]Magali[/name_f] - It seems very cumbersome to me, like it doesn’t flow well. I would prefer [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] (assuming that the original name is pronounced [name_f]Mag[/name_f]-uh-lee).
[name_f]Augusta[/name_f] - Again, like [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f], it just isn’t a name I like - though it’s a perfectly reasonable choice.
[name_f]Eloisa[/name_f] - Probably my favorite of your selections. I like both the names [name_f]Ella[/name_f] and [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], this seems like a lovely compromise of the two.
[name_f]Josephina[/name_f] - I prefer plain [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] to this, but this is still a lovely name.
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f] - It’s definitely a daring choice, but it has darling nicknames - [name_f]Willa[/name_f] and [name_f]Mina[/name_f].
Madalena - I prefer [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] or, as above, Magdelena. I even prefer [name_f]Dalena[/name_f] or [name_f]Lena[/name_f] as stand-alone names to this. As others have said, it just seems like a made-up name.