Opinions on these (mostly) English girls names? Thanks!

[name]Just[/name] for fun I would love some comments on these girls names. Most of the are English, but a few aren’t, and a few I modified from their English version. Thanks so much! Can’t wait to hear what you think!

[name]Alura[/name]
[name]Cate[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
Alcotte
Carisse
[name]Lillian[/name]
Madeleina
[name]Ellie[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Alcott[/name]
C

[name]Hi[/name], Bounce!

[name]Alura[/name] - Oh! I’m not sure I love this one, though I see the appeal of the soft, delicate sound and romantic feel. However, it sounds far too close to allure and alluring to be truly romantic and sweet to me - I feel like those words are overly sensual to the point of being a tad bit sexy, and I wouldn’t want to name a child something like that, you know? I think [name]Adora[/name] could be a sweet alternative!

[name]Cate[/name] - Simply divine! This is definitely my favorite spelling of [name]Cate[/name], and I like it alone (as in [name]Cate[/name] Blanchett) or as a nickname for [name]Catherine[/name]. [name]Cate[/name] looks soft and elegant while still maintaining a strong sound, whereas [name]Kate[/name] looks harsher to me - those darn K’s! I really do love [name]Cate[/name], what with its simple, sophisticated, and, well, “pure” appearance and sound.

[name]Lena[/name] - Well, this looks entirely incomplete to me, and I’d prefer it as a nickname, for anything really! Slap on a hell and you get [name]Helena[/name], which I absolutely adore for a girl! Or, make it [name]Magdalena[/name], a fun, feminine name with exotic appeal. Either way, [name]Lena[/name] ([name]LAY[/name]-nah is how I say it!) is a cute, fresh nickname!

Alcotte - Does the E change the pronunciation? This name sounds very masculine to me, and I don’t like the addition of the E. I mean, why ruin [name]Louisa[/name] [name]May[/name]'s name? Sorry.

Carisse - Is this like [name]Charisse[/name]? Or is it actually a ‘car’ sound? I think it sounds a bit close to caress or even crease, honestly, and I’m not loving it as a first name. A middle? Maybe…

[name]Lillian[/name] - Oh, [name]Lillian[/name]. [name]Lillian[/name], in full, is classy and sophisticated, soft and feminine, albeit a tad bit stuffy. However, I like it in full! But, as I have recently come to discover, things go terribly downhill for me once the name gets shortened to [name]Lilly[/name]. To me, whereas [name]Lillian[/name] is the epitome of elegance and grace, [name]Lilly[/name] feels childish and altogether too light. I can’t put my finger on it, because this should be a darling nickname that I love! Okay, maybe I’m fine with [name]Lilly[/name] as a nickname for [name]Lillian[/name], but it bugs me when [name]Lily[/name] is the child’s full name. Yes, okay, let’s go with that…

Madeleina - Well, for some reason, the flow and balance seems off with this name, doesn’t it? [name]Do[/name] you find this difficult to say? To me, the final A ruins a perfectly elegant name. I prefer [name]Madeleine[/name], honestly, and I think it could be easier to pair [name]Madeleine[/name] with a fun, feminine middle name. If you like the -a ending, try [name]Magdalena[/name] - it is altogether easier to say than Madeleina, in my opinion.

[name]Ellie[/name] - Oh, nicknames as names! Well, I’m not sure if you are aware, but I’m not a fan of nicknames as names, really. If you like [name]Sadie[/name], I say name the girl [name]Sarah[/name]! [name]Maggie[/name], [name]Margaret[/name]. [name]Ruthie[/name], [name]Ruth[/name]. Okay, you get the picture! So, when there are so many lovely names that can be shortened to [name]Ellie[/name] ([name]Ellis[/name], [name]Elinor[/name], [name]Elvira[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], etc.), why use such a juvenile - albeit sweet - form of a name as a full name? [name]Just[/name] my opinion.

[name]Alice[/name] - [name]Alice[/name]! Yes! [name]Alice[/name] is the epitome of whimsical, feminine fun for me! [name]Alice[/name] is sweet and quiet, yet still sassy and energetic. She’s charismatic and witty, intelligent and friendly. [name]Alice[/name], as a name, has a sweet, delicate sound coupled with a sturdy, simple look. All in all, you have perfection!

[name]Beatrice[/name] - I want to love [name]Beatrice[/name] as a first name, but I don’t. Again, can’t put my finger on why! I love [name]Beatrice[/name] as a middle name, though. [name]Beatrice[/name], to me, is a bit like [name]Harriet[/name]. I wouldn’t personally want to be called [name]Harriet[/name], though I like [name]Hattie[/name], and I wouldn’t personally want to be called [name]Beatrice[/name]. Why, you ask? To me, these are some of the stuffiest in the vintage set, but [name]Beatrice[/name] is breaking out a bit. She is strong and sweet, the perfect pairing, but I like her in the middle spot.

[name]Alcott[/name] - Yes! The correct spelling to honor the wonderful [name]Louisa[/name] [name]May[/name] [name]Alcott[/name]! I’m all for authorial names - [name]Austen[/name], [name]Auden[/name], [name]Hawthorne[/name], [name]Conrad[/name], [name]Byron[/name], [name]Shelley[/name], the list goes on and on! - but this one has a strength and harshness that seems to make it unsuitable for a girl’s first name. However, I adore - really, love! - it as a middle name! I mean, [name]Louisa[/name] [name]May[/name] is such a great author, and her [name]Little[/name] Women is so charming, how could you go wrong with such a namesake? I assume she is the one you are getting at, here, so correct me if I’m wrong!

All in all, you’ve got a great pile of names. As usual, you have wonderful name taste, if I must say so myself.

Take care!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Alura[/name] - not that bad but not my favorite, either
[name]Cate[/name] - love it, especially as a nn for [name]Catherine[/name] or [name]Cathleen[/name]
[name]Lena[/name] - love, love, love it. I love [name]Helena[/name], as well, but I think [name]Lena[/name] is nice on its own
Alcotte - as in [name]Alcott[/name]? I don’t like it for a girl
Carisse - nice
[name]Lillian[/name] - lovely name
Madeleina - what about [name]Magdalena[/name]?
[name]Ellie[/name] - like it as a nickname, not on its own
[name]Alice[/name] - wonderful name!
[name]Beatrice[/name] - lovely
[name]Alcott[/name] - nice for a boy

[name]Lemon[/name],

[name]Ah[/name], [name]Lemon[/name]! I always love reading your responses! About [name]Alcott[/name] - you see, I really was contemplating even putting the name on the list, but then I though what the heck! Go for it! So I did, and sort of regret it!

[name]Beatrice[/name] - Yes, I definitely agree with you about the stuffiness bit. [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Mildred[/name], [name]Matilda[/name] - all seem a bit musty to me.

[name]Ellie[/name] I agree is too nicknamey for a full name, but I really don’t like any of the full name options!

Overall, I pretty much agree with everything you said, and thanks for your last comment! I suppose it is a matter of opinion, but it seems we share slightly the same taste.

Bounce

PS On Yahoo Answers earlier someone wanted there daughter to be [name]Sadie[/name], and I said nope! [name]Sarah[/name]!

Bounce,

I’m glad you enjoyed my responses, then! [name]Even[/name] though [name]Beatrice[/name] (and [name]Matilda[/name], yes) are a bit musty, I do like them as middle names!

Why do you regret [name]Alcott[/name]? Were you thinking of it for a first name, then? Huh. I just don’t know. I suppose you could lighten it up with the [name]Ali[/name] nickname, but it seems like such a shame! I can’t decide if I’d rather it be a really cool literary pet name or an awesome middle name, you know? Like, I love [name]Penelope[/name] [name]Alcott[/name] for some reason - just popped into my head! - but I can totally see a studly little Yorkshire Terrier named [name]Alcott[/name]! Oh, goodness.

And, seriously, you have great taste! And, yes, I can say that because it is so similar to my own… :wink:

Have a good night!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

PS [name]Way[/name] to go on the [name]Sadie[/name]-[name]Sarah[/name] question! Now, that little [name]Sarah[/name] can have two special names - the sophisticated, classic [name]Sarah[/name] and the sweet, yet spunky [name]Sadie[/name]. Woohoo!

Madeleina - The A doesn’t help. It’s a vowel-heavy name already. I used to love A endings; now I realize most names that have A-ending versions work better without it.

[name]Alcott[/name]/e - ohpleaseyes! It’s interesting how much difference one letter makes (Alcotte looks French) and doesn’t make (I assume they’re said the same, and Alcotte doesn’t rhyme with [name]Charlotte[/name]). Cool either way.

[name]Lemon[/name],

I suppose I regret [name]Alcott[/name] because I actually don’t like the name that much, so I don’t know why I put it on the list. I guess I just wanted to see what other people thought, maybe I was missing something, you know?

And I seriously think you have great taste too! I also really value your opinion (of course I value everyone’s opinion on Nameberry! What a great bunch!)

Bounce

PS Yes, and it’s a good think she wasn’t [name]Sadie[/name] anyways because the middle name was to be [name]Edith[/name], and I commented that maybe [name]Sadie[/name] [name]Edith[/name] was a bit too D heavy? Not to mention the running Es too…