Opinions on This Name?

What are your thoughts on [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m]?

I just came across it yesterday and think it sounds beautiful! I love how it looks and how it sounds. Makes me think of a prince or artist. I’m worried about people mispronouncing and misspelling it though. I believe it’s pronounced or-reel-ee-us? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think it’s too big of a name for a young kid?

I also saw [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m] and [name_m]Aureliano[/name_m] as alternatives. I know the girl name [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] has been gaining a lot of popularity lately. So I’m surprised I haven’t seen [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m] before now. Thoughts? Anything that feels similar to [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m] that you like?

2 Likes

I love [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m]! It’s own my own list in the combo [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m] [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m] [name_f]Eve[/name_f]. I’ve only heard it pronounced aw-rehl-ee-us (same way I say [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f], aw-rehl-ee-uh), and I say [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m] and [name_m]Aureliano[/name_m] the same (definitely [name_m]Aureliano[/name_m] is pronounced with -rehl cause it’s Spanish and Italian). It’s a bit heavy but I like that about it and it’s comes with a few nicknames, Rel, [name_f]Elle[/name_f], [name_u]Nino[/name_u], [name_u]Sunny[/name_u], [name_f]Goldie[/name_f], [name_u]Ren[/name_u] (works better for [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m] but crazy stretchy for Aurelius). Overall I love it!

1 Like

I love [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m]! It’s beautiful and a strong sounding name too. It does feel quite grand, but I think if you had the right nickname it would work.

1 Like

@leafygreens aw-rehl-ee-us would make more sense! All the videos I’ve looked up seem to pronounce it differently but that might be because they’re in other countries. [name_u]Love[/name_u] those nickname options. Maybe even [name_u]Ari[/name_u]?

@Adelina_Sophia I think a cute nickname would definitely make it more approachable! I think it’s such a cool sounding name.

1 Like

i love aurelius! i also pronounce it aw-rehl-ee-us. ari, auri, eli, lius, or even elio could all work as nicknames.

i believe it was quite a common roman name, so here are some names with a similar feel:
aloysius
augustus
basilius
caius
cassius
claudius
julius
marcellinus
nero
octavius
romulus
thaddeus
tiberius

1 Like

I love [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m] :yellow_heart: Such a sunshine-ey name! I’ve been pronouncing it aw-rehl-ee-us, but I’ve also heard it as aw-reel-ee-us. I also love [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m], Aureliusz (Polish variant, aw-reh-lyoosh) Aurelién (French variant), and [name_m]Aurelio[/name_m] (Italian variant) especially. Other ancient roman names like [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], [name_m]Caius[/name_m], [name_m]Amadeus[/name_m], [name_m]Octavius[/name_m], [name_m]Marius[/name_m] and [name_m]Cassius[/name_m] give me similar vibes.

1 Like

Out of all the [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m] varieties my favourite is [name_m]Aurelio[/name_m]. But I really like [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m]. Has a prince/regal vibe to me.

1 Like

[name_m]Aurelius[/name_m] is so mystical and interesting. I’d probably pronounce it or-ray-lee-us, but I wouldn’t be surprised by the rehl or reel pn either

1 Like

It’s a bit of a mouthful too me sorry

1 Like

[name_m]Way[/name_m] over the top.

1 Like

I really like [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m]. It sounds beautiful and cool.
It feels like a big, extravagant name to me but I don’t necessarily think it’s too big. The popularity of [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] helps.

1 Like

i like it! i prefer [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m] personally, but then again i tend to prefer -an to -us with any name. i think it’d be a brave choice for a real baby, but absolutely still usable!

1 Like

I love Aurelius/Aurelian. I pronunciation it aw-RAY-lee-us. Its such a beautiful name, it’s on my middle name list.

[name_f]My[/name_f] main problem is I don’t love the nickname options and it’s a big name to use all the time.

1 Like

I love it!!

1 Like

[name_m]Aurelius[/name_m] is a gorgeous name with a ton of history and meaning behind it! I first encountered the name when my grandma gave me a collection of works by ancient philosophers, one of which was [name_m]Marcus[/name_m] [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m]. I love the name and think it’s very usable, especially with easy nickname options such as [name_u]Ari[/name_u], [name_u]Eli[/name_u], and [name_u]Leo[/name_u].

[name_m]Aurelius[/name_m] and [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m] are my favorites of the variants. I don’t care for [name_m]Aurelio[/name_m] or [name_m]Aureliano[/name_m].

1 Like

@Indilee I thought that it might be different pronunciation! All the videos I watched said different but aw-rehl-ee-us makes sense based off of [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]. [name_m]Augustus[/name_m], Marcellinus, and Thaddus are all really cool!

@planetnames I didn’t see the Polish variant! That’s a fun one. I definitely like all the variations it comes with.

@anon25197097 I agree! I like [name_m]Aurelio[/name_m] and [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m] too. I feel like each of the variations brings different nickname potentials for it.

@Greyblue Mystical and interesting is spot on! It feels like a fairy tale name to me!

@zoeyfleur and @hellobanjo I don’t disagree. I feel like it would be a hard name for a small child to learn how to say and/or spell!

3 Likes

@Johannaa Definitely agree about [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] and it’s popularity. That’s why I was surprised I hadn’t heard these variations before because [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f] has been so popular lately.

@lucyxo I keep flip flopping between [name_m]Aurelian[/name_m] or [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m] being my favorite option! It feels more like a guilty pleasure name than a name we could realistically use for our baby though.

@Ellar-w That pronunciation would make sense! I tried to find pronunciation videos on YouTube but they all seemed to be from different countries with different pronunciations. I agree on the nicknames. I thought maybe [name_u]Ari[/name_u] would work as a nickname? But depending on how you pronounce the name that might not really work.

@CassOmia I think it really has a lot of great parts to it! I’m surprised I haven’t run into it before now!

@lavenderwitch [name_m]Marcus[/name_m] [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m] came up when I was doing pronunciation searches for it! I don’t know anything about him, but that’s cool that the name has a long background like that. [name_m]Aureliano[/name_m] feels very Italian to me which wouldn’t work well for me personally since I don’t have an Italian background.

2 Likes

He’s still one of my favorite philosophers! He was one of the most famous Stoics, but after the fact, because his primary work Meditations was basically just his journal and not anything he’d ever intended to publish. He had a lot of thoughts about everything in the universe being connected; about how we can’t control what happens around us, but that we have power over what happens within us; and about the nature of personal and societal responsibility. His name is also pronounced uh-REEL-ee-us, in which the first and last vowel sounds are that schwa A that sounds like a cross between “ah” and “uh.”

1 Like

@lavenderwitch This shows me that I definitely need to do more research on [name_m]Marcus[/name_m] [name_m]Aurelius[/name_m]! This might be a better name for my husband and I than I originally thought. uh-reel-ee-us was the pronunciation that kept coming up when I was Googling it so that must be where they are getting those videos from. Thank you!

1 Like