Opinions on Trilingual Warrior Addition (for fun - be brutally honest)

So as many of you know my criteria is “must sound good in [name]German[/name], English and Spanish”. We are not TTC or pregnant but any future children would be raised tri-lingual and hopefully tri-cultural (though mostly [name]German[/name]/American).

You can find my current top ten in my signature.
I’m looking for a boys name to fill that last spot. I’ve been culling ideas in previous threads and now I’d love to hear some opinions and nn suggestions. Be as brutally honest as you like I’d love to hear what you really think. Please consider how it fits in with the others.
Also if you have a particular thought on my top ten you want to share, please have at it. I’d love to know if you think something doesn’t fit or make sense.

[name]Oscar[/name]
[name]Leopold[/name]
[name]Leonard[/name]
[name]Hugo[/name]
[name]Tiberius[/name]
[name]Cornelius[/name]
[name]Benedict[/name]
[name]Artur[/name]
[name]Lucius[/name]
[name]Lucio[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name]
[name]Carsten[/name]
[name]Titus[/name]
[name]Theodor[/name]
Niklaus
Leofric (I love this but is the -ric ending too close to [name]Alaric[/name]?)
[name]Ludovic[/name] (Am I drawn to it because it’s a mix between [name]Ludwig[/name] and [name]Victor[/name]?)
[name]Ulric[/name] (Too similar to [name]Alaric[/name]?)

My favourites are [name]Hugo[/name], [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Leopold[/name] ([name]Leo[/name]), [name]Benedict[/name] ([name]Ben[/name]) or [name]Lucas[/name]. They seem very international and I think they fit in well with your other names- especially with [name]Anton[/name], [name]Felix[/name], [name]Julian[/name], [name]Tristan[/name] and [name]Victor[/name]. I also like [name]Ludovic[/name] nn [name]Ludo[/name], but it is very similar to [name]Ludwig[/name]. I’m not keen on the others for a variety of reasons- some seem to cumbersome, some may get misspelt in English, some don’t gel too well with your top names.

It’s really hard to pick just one! I think my overall vote goes to [name]Oscar[/name]. It’s a lovely, simple classic with a magic feel to him :slight_smile:

My favorites from your list are [name]Oscar[/name], [name]Lucas[/name] (my own top pick for a boy!) and [name]Hugo[/name].

I have a similar issue as you as my names must sound good in English and Spanish. Some of your boys names would be a but difficult to say in Spanish ([name]Ludwig[/name]… It doesn’t sound as nice as I’m sure in sounds in [name]German[/name]). Other names from your list, like [name]Tiberius[/name] for example, well, the Spanish speaker in me wants to say Tibério. [name]Leopold[/name] has the same issue. I just want to add that “o” at the end.

That said, if the [name]German[/name]/American sides will be more prominent, it’s not a big deal. In my own case, my [name]MIL[/name] doesn’t speak English very well and most of both of our extended families default to Spanish pronunciations, which is why my names must be pronounceable in Spanish.

You have some very handsome names on your list. Spanish issues aside, I really love [name]Felix[/name], [name]Tristan[/name], [name]Artur[/name], Niklaus and [name]Alaric[/name].

I love your names.

[name]Oscar[/name] - I think this is a bit boring next to the others, and oh so serious. Next please!
[name]Leopold[/name] - Fits right in, but also stands out. It’s dashingly romantic and fun, and that’s the overall feel I get from your list.
[name]Leonard[/name] - It’s a good name, but it loses out to above.
[name]Hugo[/name] - I love me some [name]Hugo[/name]. A good short name with lots of personality and charm.
[name]Tiberius[/name] - So beautiful. A name I want to hide in, if that makes sense. Strong, silent, dignified and knightly. And, oh, so sexy! The only drawback is that it lack the fun and playfulness the rest of your names have got.
[name]Cornelius[/name] - I like [name]Cornelius[/name], a lot actually, but not enough to make the list.
[name]Benedict[/name] - Swoon! Romantic:check! Fun: check! And it’s kind of [name]Robin[/name] Hood-esque… in my head anyway :wink:
[name]Artur[/name] - I like [name]Artur[/name] so much, and it is perfect on your list. It is not one of my favourites though. Is it because of the lacking h maybe?
[name]Lucius[/name] - I love [name]Lucius[/name], it’s so fun and light and all that is good in the world. [name]Jason[/name] Isaacs portraying the dashing mr Malfoy in the HP movies does not hurt…
[name]Lucio[/name] - I prefer [name]Lucius[/name].
[name]Lucas[/name] - The same as [name]Oscar[/name], really.
[name]Carsten[/name] - Hehe, [name]Carsten[/name]. I don’t mind it, but I don’t love if for you.
[name]Titus[/name] - I know I’m probably the only person in the world who thinks this, but this screams chav to me. Leeds bred football player.
[name]Theodor[/name] - Good name, but boring compared to your other stunners.
Niklaus - I think of Father [name]Christmas[/name].
Leofric - This is so amazing I kind of giggle when I hear it. It’s so much fun! I think it is brilliant!
[name]Ludovic[/name] - I like this, [name]Ludo[/name] nickname would be cute. But I prefer [name]Ludwig[/name], which is fabulous.
[name]Ulric[/name] - My love for [name]Ulric[/name] will never waver, and I’m thrilled to see it on someone elses list as well. Fantastically dashing and brave name.

So to sum up:
[name]Tiberius[/name]
Leofric/[name]Leopold[/name]
[name]Benedict[/name]
[name]Lucius[/name]
[name]Ulric[/name] - but I think it’s too close to [name]Alaric[/name] (I’d swap them, but that’s me ;))

To be completely honest, I’d make one or two changes on your current top nine: I’d get rid of [name]Emmett[/name], and possibly [name]Victor[/name]. Then you could not only make room for [name]Tiberius[/name], one [name]Leo[/name] name and [name]Benedict[/name] or [name]Lucius[/name].

That was jolly good fun!

Ludovic vs Ulric (woah, you really like ‘ic’ names! :wink: ) - I’m somewhat warming up to Ulric, but I prefer Alaric and Erich. Wait, what about Emmerich–a combination of Emmett and ‘ric’!!

Leopold vs Leofric vs Leonard - I’d scratch Leonard. It’s a solid name, but it doesn’t compare to Leopold or Leofric, both of which are fantastic.

Oscar vs Hugo - I ADORE Hugo! It’s short, but charming and the meaning is fantastic. Can’t go wrong.

Tiberius vs Cornelius - I don’t like either, tbh. Tiberius reminds me of a dog and I don’t like the ‘corn’ in Cornelius.

Benedict vs Artur vs Theodor - I’ve fallen for Arthur so Artur had to be bolded. Benedict is super charming as well. Theodor pales in comparison to some of your other names.

Lucius vs Lucio vs Lucas - Lucius is just great. Lucio is nice, but not as great. And imo Lucas is kind of boring.

Carsten vs Titus vs Niklaus - I love how Niklaus rolls off of the tongue. I think of Niklaus Mikaelson of The Vampire Diaries, but that’s because I’m a fan. Most will probably think of Father Christmas. I dislike Titus and Carsten.

charlieandperry - thanks for your input. Yeah I was considering [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Hugo[/name] as the “easier” to deal with names on the list that work internationally.

dindlee - The Spanish pronunciation is good to know. I personally don’t speak Spanish but my SO does yet he is not really up reading every name I consider out loud. Thanks!!

Thanks Otter - I love the detailed notes.
I have been considering taking [name]Emmett[/name] off the list but I’m sort of torn, but you picking one of the two names I had been considering is definitely interesting. [name]Victor[/name]'s got to stay in honor of my SO’s mother who passed away last summer and whose name was [name]Victoria[/name] (which I loath - no idea why). I also used to think of Niklaus and [name]Nicholas[/name] as Father [name]Christmas[/name] names but I’m still liking it a lot.

Teagarden -
[name]Ah[/name] don’t add [name]Emmerich[/name] to my already existing list of -ic names. I think I’m going to need triplets so I can go with [name]Alaric[/name], [name]Ulric[/name] and Leofric. :). Actually [name]Emmerich[/name] might be a nice combo of [name]Emmett[/name] and [name]Erich[/name]. Must mule this over. Odd that Niklaus makes you think VD but [name]Alaric[/name] doesn’t.

[name]Alaric[/name] - [name]Anton[/name] - [name]Emmett[/name] - [name]Erich[/name] - [name]Felix[/name] - [name]Julian[/name] - [name]Ludwig[/name] - [name]Tristan[/name] - [name]Victor[/name] - ???

[name]Oscar[/name] - I like it and it definitely fits with your others, but it has less flair than many
[name]Leopold[/name]/[name]Leonard[/name] - I prefer [name]Leopold[/name] despite its weirdness. It just feels more interesting and less old-man
[name]Hugo[/name] - lovely! very light and yet with a dorky, vintage edge.
[name]Tiberius[/name] - it is interesting, but I think [name]Tobias[/name] is a more modern option. [name]Tiberius[/name] is just very heavy for me. Though I absolutely adore [name]Darius[/name] so who am I to talk?
[name]Cornelius[/name] - I love the history of the name, but the corn part would always throw me off
[name]Benedict[/name] - I really love this one! I love [name]Ben[/name], I love [name]Ned[/name], and I love that it includes edict, lol
[name]Artur[/name] - I really love [name]Arthur[/name], so it’s hard for me to like [name]Artur[/name]. I’d be more in favor of [name]Arturo[/name]. And I think [name]Artur[/name] and [name]Anton[/name] might be too close
[name]Lucius[/name]/[name]Lucio[/name]/[name]Lucas[/name] - of the 3 I like [name]Lucas[/name] the best, though I like [name]Luka[/name] better than all 3.
[name]Carsten[/name] - sorry but I really don’t like this one. Feels very boy-band.
[name]Titus[/name] - I really love this name. I know some people put it down because of the “tight ass” connection, but I still love it!
[name]Theodor[/name] - not sure how well this would do in [name]America[/name] without the ending e since it’s such a common name. I do love [name]Theodore[/name] and I thin it fits your list well.
Niklaus - it’s interesting, but I don’t personally like it
Leofric - I love [name]Leo[/name], but I don’t like the -fric ending. In my neck of the woods, ‘frick’ is a kid friendly way of saying f-ck
[name]Ludovic[/name] - [name]Ludo[/name] by itself I actually kinda like and [name]Vic[/name] I like. Not sure about them together. Feels super foreign.
[name]Ulric[/name] - personally [name]Alric[/name] is my favorite, but I like [name]Alaric[/name] too. [name]Ulric[/name] is so interesting, but I do think it’s too close to be considered for siblings.

Kala_way: Thanks for your response. I too prefer [name]Theodor[/name] with the -e but in both Spanish (I think) and in [name]German[/name] it makes the name sound very feminine. And I was also worried about [name]Artur[/name] and [name]Anton[/name]. I feel like I just have too many A names I like. I also really like [name]August[/name] and [name]Augustin[/name] nn Auggie but with my SO and my names both starting with A it just feels like it could end up being too much one day. I’d already be worried with giving one kid an A name and the other not. (Luckily my nn doesn’t start with an A.)

Throwing in my two cents. My favorites from your list are [name]Artur[/name], [name]Lucius[/name], [name]Titus[/name], [name]Theodor[/name] and [name]Oscar[/name] (although I’m biased).
[name]Theodor[/name] would be my first pick (I love the Russian version [name]Fyodor[/name]) followed by [name]Lucius[/name]. My least favorites would be [name]Leonard[/name] and [name]Benedict[/name]. I love the name/nickname [name]Leo[/name] (again bias as [name]BIL[/name] is [name]Leonardo[/name] “[name]Leo[/name]”) but [name]Leonard[/name] seems to fall flat next to [name]Leonardo[/name], the “o” changes it from geeky to wearable to me.

My favourite is [name]Ludovic[/name] by a long shot!!! I love nn [name]Ludo[/name] and its meaning renowned warrior! I also like [name]Louis[/name] it’s [name]German[/name]/French version! I have considered both for a baby boy!

I really like [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Hugo[/name]- but I’m in love with [name]Ludovic[/name]. I don’t know if I would ever use it, but I think it’s pretty badass. And [name]Ludo[/name] is awesome.

I think your list is fantastic. I can’t comment much on the feeling of the name in [name]German[/name] or Spanish, since I speak neither, but my general comments on my feeling of these names are:

[name]Oscar[/name]: I really like this name a lot. It feels down to earth and friendly, intelligent and modern with a hint of an antique feel to it. I’m not the biggest fan of the [name]Oscar[/name] the Grouch association, but otherwise this is a great name.

[name]Leopold[/name]: [name]Leopold[/name], [name]Leonidas[/name] and [name]Lionel[/name] are my favorite lion/leo related names ([name]Lionel[/name] is my overall favorite of the bunch, followed by [name]Leonidas[/name]). And even though I like the other two better than [name]Leopold[/name], I still really like [name]Leopold[/name] a lot. It’s got a very noble feel to it, as well as the solid NN of [name]Leo[/name].

[name]Leonard[/name]: It’s okay, just not as wonderful as some of the other [name]Leo[/name] related names.

[name]Hugo[/name]: This is a name that has grown on my a lot over the past few months. I used to be quite mediocre about it, now I think it’s a wonderful name. Feels classic and modern at the same time.

[name]Tiberius[/name]: I like a lot of these ancient ‘…us’ names, but to me [name]Tiberius[/name] just sounds too ‘heavy’.

[name]Cornelius[/name]: I quite like this name, though the fact the beginning of it sounds like ‘corny’ is not something I like a lot. It’s one of those names I appreciate, but just couldn’t ever bring it around to me own list of possibilities.

[name]Benedict[/name]: Not a fan of this one. I don’t like most of the [name]Ben[/name] names (partially because of my connection to the Chinese language, where ‘ben’ means ‘stupid’), and of them this is one of my lesser favorites. ‘[name]Ben[/name], a dict’

[name]Arthur[/name]: I like it a lot. I often put it in the same mental category as [name]Oscar[/name], feels modern and antique at the same time. Solid option.

[name]Lucius[/name]: Is one of my favorite names ever. If it didn’t sound very similar to a family members name, this would be high high on my own list. Great great name.

[name]Lucio[/name]: This is solid too, though I like [name]Lucius[/name] quite a bit more.

[name]Lucas[/name]: Is also a really nice name, but [name]Lucius[/name] stands out to me as more uncommon/meaningful/interesting.

[name]Carsten[/name]: I’ve never heard this name before, but my first impression is pretty negative. It feels like a modified version of [name]Carson[/name], which I also don’t like.

[name]Titus[/name]: Again, similar to [name]Tiberius[/name], feels heavier than a lot of other old Latin names (my favorites being [name]Amias[/name] and [name]Caius[/name]). Plus the first three letters being what they are is not particularly cool for a name.

[name]Theodore[/name]: Can’t go wrong with it. It’s timeless/classic and solid.

Niklaus: Mediocre. No strong feelings either way.

Leofric: I prefer [name]Alaric[/name] and some of the other [name]Leo[/name] related names. It’s okay though.

[name]Ludovic[/name]: Not bad, but feels a bit harsh to my ear.

[name]Ulric[/name]: Again, like [name]Ulric[/name] better. It feels a bit medieval and slightly fantasy-novel-esque. It’s not terrible though.

My favorite is definitely [name]Lucius[/name], with [name]Hugo[/name] and [name]Leopold[/name] coming up next.

[name]Oscar[/name]- I have always loved [name]Oscar[/name]! And has a great reference to [name]Oscar[/name] Wilde.
[name]Leopold[/name] - [name]Love[/name] this name also; brings the awesome nickname [name]Leo[/name]!
[name]Leonard[/name] - I don’t like it…sounds…like someone who has a stuffy nose and cannot speak properly (don’t know where that came from).
[name]Hugo[/name] - [name]LOVE[/name]. That’s all I need to say…
[name]Tiberius[/name] - hmmm. well maybe it’s because I’ve studied classics but [name]Tiberius[/name] brings forth bad and good connotations-- [name]Tiberius[/name] Gracchus seemed to have good intentions but was assassinated and greatly insulted when his body was thrown into the river… So it’s a no.
[name]Cornelius[/name] - sounds too…snobby… Is that the word I’m looking for?
[name]Benedict[/name] - Reminds me of eggs…no.
[name]Artur[/name] - [name]Arthur[/name] is better.
[name]Lucius[/name] - have always been a fan of [name]Lucia[/name]… so I like [name]Lucius[/name] for a male - cool!
[name]Lucio[/name] - not a fan
[name]Lucas[/name] - plain compared to the rest…
[name]Carsten[/name] - doesn’t stand out to me.
[name]Titus[/name] - NO. I thought it was a nice name until I heard someone make fun of a boy named [name]Titus[/name] by calling him “tight ass!!!”
[name]Theodor[/name] - where is the ‘e’? Much prefer it with the ‘e’
Niklaus - I do not like it, nor do I like Nicolaus.
Leofric - hmmm. Never heard this name but I kind of like this…nice…
[name]Ludovic[/name] - sounds very…Dracula… but I don’t mind this name.
[name]Ulric[/name] - [name]Ulric[/name]'s okay.

futuremrsb
I hear what you are saying on [name]Leonard[/name] vs [name]Leonardo[/name] but the later is too DiCaprio for me. (Confession: I was obsessed as a teen and still have pristinely kept binders with all the news articles on him I could find at the time - this kind of kills the whole name as a stand alone for me.) You see to be one of the few how likes [name]Titus[/name] which is awesome!

fluzie & roseymaam
yeah [name]Ludovic[/name] is a little fighter isn’t he? My only problem with the name is it’s similarity to my long time favorite [name]Ludwig[/name] (as stated above somewhere) I adore Beethoven and I just don’t have that connection to [name]Ludovic[/name]. (Maybe it will end up as a [name]Ludwig[/name]/[name]Ludovic[/name] line item but that just feels like the easy way out).

javad
Hahahaha - my only issue with [name]Oscar[/name] is the Grouch. It doesn’t help that we own OtG trashcans and my SO keeps reminding me that they are [name]Oscar[/name] Trash Cans. And, that’s good to know about [name]Ben[/name] - interesting how in different languages it can be perceived so very differently.

twilightoftheidols
Oh the theatre nerd in my loves the [name]Oscar[/name] Wilde reference I mean with Importance and [name]Salome[/name] how can one not? Sadly adding an -e to [name]Theodore[/name] make it sound like a girls name in [name]German[/name] but it doesn’t change the pronunciation in English or Spanish but I do hear what you are saying it looks a little cut short. (PS: I love that you have all the variations of [name]Ophelia[/name] listed in your signature, it’s sort of how I feel about them too.)

With everyones help I think I’ve narrowed it down to these front runners. More thoughts are always welcome. What do you think fits best with my others? (see signature?)
Benedict
Hugo
Leopold
Lucius
Oscar
Titus

These are my favorites:

[name]Oscar[/name] - Very handsome and definitely international.
[name]Hugo[/name] - Has a nice bit of spunk and maybe a little bit more personality than [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Lucas[/name]. I love this name, but I would never ever use it on a child, because it’s the name of my dog haha!
[name]Lucas[/name] - Definitely my favorite from this list. However, if I have to be completely honest, my love for the name [name]Lucas[/name] is probably mostly because of good associations. It is a very handsome name though!

I also like [name]Artur[/name], but I prefer it spelled [name]Arthur[/name]!

I am a Canadian although all of my extended family resides in Germany.

My grandfathers name was Ludger and when he moved to [name]Canada[/name] everybody called him [name]Lucky[/name]. I love the name [name]Lucky[/name] and am considering it for a middle name if we have a baby boy.

I am super happy to see [name]Lucius[/name], [name]Hugo[/name], [name]Leopold[/name] and [name]Oscar[/name] made the cut into the top 6. Those were my top 4 from your original list. I also think those 4 fit in best with the other names in your signature (which are all pretty great by the way-- though [name]Erich[/name], [name]Tristan[/name] and [name]Wisteria[/name] aren’t quite as awesome-caliber as the others in my opinion). I’m trying really hard to come around to liking [name]Titus[/name], as it does have some characteristics I appreciate in names, but I just can’t seem to do it. [name]Benedict[/name] I can’t even try to try to come around to, sorry :slight_smile: But those other four are stellar.

[name]Benedict[/name] and [name]Leopold[/name]/[name]Lucius[/name]. [name]Hugo[/name] too. Not [name]Oscar[/name] and [name]Titus[/name].

My favourites are [name]Benedict[/name] and [name]Hugo[/name]. I also like [name]Oscar[/name], but not [name]Titus[/name] or [name]Leopold[/name], and [name]Lucius[/name] makes me think of [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]. I like [name]Lucan[/name] or [name]Lucian[/name] though? Good luck! (The names in your signature are fantastic)

Thanks everyone for your input. I was still having such a hard time deciding I went with top 12 instead of 10. (I figure at some point it will just dawn on me). I also decided that I couldn’t give up [name]Emmett[/name] at the moment though I had been considering it my heart just doesn’t want to let it go quite yet.
So [name]Hugo[/name], [name]Leopold[/name] and [name]Oscar[/name] made the cut. (Though [name]Oscar[/name] almost didn’t but then I found [name]Osgar[/name] which I find so oddly charming I can’t quite decide yet if it’s just too ‘mispelled’ to be viable - thank god I have no little ones to name as of yet).