Opinions on...

… the name combo [name]Evalena[/name] [name]Kaye[/name] (Eh-vuh-lay-nuh). I’m not pregnant nor do I expect to be in the near future, but would love to use this name eventually. Pronunciation issues don’t bother me. What are your thoughts?? be as honest as you want :wink: [name]Happy[/name] Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans!

This name seems to sound very much like [name]Evelyn[/name], but I think the spelling you have chosen makes it look clunky and harsh. If you like this name, I prefer the spelling [name]Evelina[/name], which is the Slavic form of [name]Evelyn[/name]. I also prefer [name]Kay[/name] to [name]Kaye[/name].

[name]Evelina[/name] [name]Kay[/name]… would you call her [name]Evie[/name], [name]Eve[/name], [name]Eva[/name], or [name]Lina[/name]?

You may also like [name]Evangelia[/name] [name]Kay[/name] or [name]Evangelia[/name] [name]Cate[/name], which I prefer. Good luck!

Hmm, how do you pronounce [name]Evelina[/name]? It looks pretty, I’m just unfamiliar with Slavic pronunciations :slight_smile: Although, I don’t really see much of a difference in the looks of [name]Evelina[/name] vs. [name]Evalena[/name]. [name]Evalena[/name] is [name]German[/name], although the lena part is pronounced lee-nuh, not lay-nuh (I just don’t like lee-nuh and think it could go either way). I actually kind of pronounce it two ways (eh-vuh-lay-nuh or ev-ah-lay-nuh) And I love the nn [name]Lena[/name] or [name]Evie[/name] but would probably call her by her given name most of the time. And I like [name]Evelyn[/name], but something about it just hasn’t won me over, plus it’s rising in popularity.

[name]Kaye[/name] is my mother’s middle name, so that spelling would stay as is. And [name]Evangelia[/name] sounds too much like Evangelical or Evangelist, at least to me.

Thanks, [name]Lemon[/name]! I love hearing how different people look at different names, so I appreciate your opinion!

I’m only familiar with [name]Evelina[/name] (eh-vuh-[name]LEE[/name]-na), but something about [name]Evalena[/name] looks a bit off to me. Hmm… I see “Eval,” which reminds me of “evaluation,” and I think I’d be inclined to pronounce it with a “leena” ending.

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Eva[/name] or [name]Lena[/name] alone? I think you were considering [name]Helena[/name], so I’ll vote for that over [name]Evalena[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thanks, [name]Jill[/name]! I like [name]Eva[/name], but not enough to use it. And I love love love [name]Lena[/name] alone, I’d consider it (again with the [name]Lay[/name]-nuh pn). [name]Helena[/name] is nice as well, but I feel like she’d always be called [name]Helen[/name], which isn’t a horrible name, just not my taste. Plus, my favorite boys’ name is [name]Kelan[/name]/[name]Kellan[/name] and Kel(l)an and [name]Helen[/name] are way too matchy.

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Evelina[/name] better (Spelling and pn)? Or do you have a suggestion on spelling for the pn eh-vuh-lay-nuh? Or do you totally hate the pronunciation all together and you were too nice to say so :wink: ? Like I said, this is all future planning, so I can’t get offended over a name for a baby I haven’t even conceived hahah.

Thanks, [name]Jill[/name]! I like [name]Eva[/name], but not enough to use it. And I love love love [name]Lena[/name] alone, I’d consider it (again with the [name]Lay[/name]-nuh pn). [name]Helena[/name] is nice as well, but I feel like she’d always be called [name]Helen[/name], which isn’t a horrible name, just not my taste. Plus, my favorite boys’ name is [name]Kelan[/name]/[name]Kellan[/name] and Kel(l)an and [name]Helen[/name] are way too matchy.

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Evelina[/name] better (Spelling and pn)? Or do you have a suggestion on spelling for the pn eh-vuh-lay-nuh? Or do you totally hate the pronunciation all together and you were too nice to say so :wink: ? Like I said, this is all future planning, so I can’t get offended over a name for a baby I haven’t even conceived hahah.[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name]! I personally like [name]Evelina[/name] better (both its spelling and pronunciation) than [name]Evalena[/name]. While [name]Evelina[/name] rolls off my tongue, [name]Evalena[/name] (especially with the -ayna ending) is diffiult for me to say.
For me, the issue with [name]Evalena[/name] isn’t its spelling (you said this is the authentic [name]German[/name] spelling?), but its pronunciation.

For what it’s worth, I know two Helenas, and neither has been called [name]Helen[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Do[/name] you like other “eve” names, such as [name]Genevieve[/name] (nn [name]Evie[/name])?

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thinking of the lena ending, pronounced lay-na, made me think of the name [name]Magdalena[/name], which is one of my favorites and could easily lend itself to [name]Lena[/name] as a nn (and for versatility, of course, also offers the option of [name]Maggie[/name]). [name]Just[/name] thought I’d throw that out there as another name you might want to consider.

Thanks for the suggestion! [name]Magdalena[/name] is already on my list, actually! [name]LOVE[/name] both [name]Maggie[/name] and [name]Lena[/name] as nickname options. And I think [name]Magdalena[/name] [name]Kaye[/name] is a beautiful combination, especially since both name origins are Greek. Hmmm, tough call, I love [name]Evalena[/name] (esp. the fact it would honor my heritage) but [name]Magdalena[/name] is a tough competitor. Thanks so much! Can you think of any other ‘lay-nuh’ names? I think that is maybe what I like the most about these names.

[name]Do[/name] you like [name]Evelina[/name] better (Spelling and pn)? Or do you have a suggestion on spelling for the pn eh-vuh-lay-nuh? Or do you totally hate the pronunciation all together and you were too nice to say so :wink: ? Like I said, this is all future planning, so I can’t get offended over a name for a baby I haven’t even conceived hahah.[/quote]

[name]Hi[/name]! I personally like [name]Evelina[/name] better (both its spelling and pronunciation) than [name]Evalena[/name]. While [name]Evelina[/name] rolls off my tongue, [name]Evalena[/name] (especially with the -ayna ending) is diffiult for me to say.
For me, the issue with [name]Evalena[/name] isn’t its spelling (you said this is the authentic [name]German[/name] spelling?), but its pronunciation.

For what it’s worth, I know two Helenas, and neither has been called [name]Helen[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Do[/name] you like other “eve” names, such as [name]Genevieve[/name] (nn [name]Evie[/name])?

Good luck! :-)[/quote]

Yep, authentic [name]German[/name] spelling. I think my hesitancy about [name]Evelina[/name] is 1. I personally wouldn’t look at this and say Eh-vuh-[name]LEE[/name]-nuh, rather ee-vuh-lee-nuh, and the double e sound isn’t my favorite and 2. I really don’t like the name [name]Eve[/name]. And it’s not even the ee sound that bugs me, I just don’t like it, and for no apparent reason, so the spelling kind of kills it for me. It is a beautiful name though and I actually prefer it over [name]Evelyn[/name].

[name]Genevieve[/name] is a beautiful name, but not one I would personally use. I’m kind of all over the board with names I like, I wouldn’t say I have a specific style, except that it cannot be popular at all. So while [name]Genevieve[/name] is similar in style to [name]Evalena[/name] and [name]Evelina[/name], it isn’t my style, if that makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate the help :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion! [name]Magdalena[/name] is already on my list, actually! [name]LOVE[/name] both [name]Maggie[/name] and [name]Lena[/name] as nickname options. And I think [name]Magdalena[/name] [name]Kaye[/name] is a beautiful combination, especially since both name origins are Greek. Hmmm, tough call, I love [name]Evalena[/name] (esp. the fact it would honor my heritage) but [name]Magdalena[/name] is a tough competitor. Thanks so much! Can you think of any other ‘lay-nuh’ names? I think that is maybe what I like the most about these names.[/quote]

Oh good! I’m glad to hear you’re considering [name]Magdalena[/name] - I love it, and I think you should go for it! I do like the sound of [name]Evalena[/name] (the way you are pronouncing it) - then again, I am a fan of [name]Evelyn[/name] as well - but I don’t like it written down. The pronunciation is less than obvious and even though it’s not a made up name, it just doesn’t have that immediate recognition factor as a classic name.

I think you mentioned you’re also considering [name]Helena[/name]. This is not my favorite; to me it feels like a diluted version of [name]Helen[/name] (I guess because [name]Helen[/name] is just such a strong, classic name) and so gets lost. You also run the risk of it being pronounce [name]Helen[/name]-uh, which sounds frumpy, instead of hel-lay-nuh. [name]Even[/name] with the hel-lay-nuh pronunciation, which I think is very pretty, there’s a little too much emphasis on that hell sound in the beginning (a lot moreso somehow than with just [name]Helen[/name]), which is less than ideal.

A couple of other options would be [name]Elena[/name] (I pronounce this Eh-lay-nuh, which I think is proper, but again this might invite other pronunciations that you don’t want) or [name]Milena[/name] (mee-lay-nuh/ mill-lay-nuh).

I like [name]Elena[/name], but I think it’s a bit bland next to [name]Magdalena[/name].

[name]Milena[/name] would be my second choice of these “[name]Lena[/name]” options. I think it’s very pretty and soft (and just like [name]Magdalena[/name] has the alternate nn of [name]Maggie[/name], this comes with the equally cute alternate nn of [name]Millie[/name]). [name]Milena[/name] is quite a bit softer than [name]Magdalena[/name] and perhaps a bit more exotic sounding, a little less familiar and a bit girlier (though both are quite feminine and neither are frilly). [name]Magdalena[/name] has a little bit more spice to it, has a more accessible and familiar vibe, while still being unique, and perhaps comes across as a bit more serious. Of the two, I would vote for [name]Magdalena[/name].

Like [name]Jill[/name] said, [name]Evelina[/name] is pronounced eh-veh-lee-nah, a pronunciation I prefer for its elegance and ease of pronunciation. [name]Evalena[/name], as you want it said, does seem to get caught up in my tongue…

You may also be interested in:

[name]Elena[/name] (eh-[name]LAY[/name]-nuh)
[name]Helena[/name] (HEH-luh-nuh or heh-[name]LAY[/name]-nuh)
[name]Jelena[/name] (YEH-LEH-nuh)
[name]Magdalena[/name] (mag-duh-[name]LAY[/name]-nuh)
[name]Marlena[/name] - [name]German[/name] (mar-[name]LAY[/name]-nuh)
[name]Milena[/name] (mee-leh-nah)