Opinions Please!!

My husband and I have come up with a list but are really not sure about any of them. We’d reallly love honest opinions! We can’t seem to get anything from our family or friends… so we’d really love some honesty!
We’re quite happy with our boys list, but are having trouble narrowing it down to just a few, let alone one!
With the girls we have the oposite problem, I just can’t seem to find any names I really love and we can agree on!

So the lists are:
BOYS:
[name]Leif[/name]
[name]Soren[/name]/ Sorensen
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Zeb[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Caspar[/name]
[name]Beau[/name]
[name]Boaz[/name]
[name]Otis[/name]
[name]Louis[/name]

GIRLS:
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]
[name]Lotte[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Lulu[/name]
[name]Winter[/name]

I’d really love your opinions… suggestions for girls or boys are most welcome :slight_smile:

Also… my husband is very keen on having a large family (at leaast three), so we want to keep options open for future siblings. Are there any names on our list or that you can suggest that sound good as siblings??

Thankyou so much!
[name]Yvette[/name] (& [name]Peter[/name])

Middle name can be anything :slight_smile:

[name]Leif[/name]- Very cool
[name]Soren[/name]/ Sorensen- seems a little out there to me
[name]Sebastian[/name]- great name! I love the nn [name]Ash[/name] for [name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Zeb[/name]- ahh, I love [name]Zeb[/name]! And, like you, I don’t love the long biblical ways to get to it, like [name]Zebediah[/name]. I don’t know about it on it’s own though. But maybe it could work.
[name]Felix[/name]- Popular around here but I’m not a big fan
[name]Caspar[/name]- I hate that I always think of the ghost (and that most other people will). Otherwise, I think it’s a great name
[name]Beau[/name]- I <3 [name]Beau[/name].
[name]Boaz[/name]- I never know how to pronounce this
[name]Otis[/name]- I love [name]Otis[/name]!
[name]Louis[/name]- Would you pronounce it Looee or Looiss? I love that with this spelling both are correct, so he can be both. I really love [name]Louis[/name] and [name]Otis[/name] together, but only if [name]Louis[/name] is Looee.

[name]Beau[/name] and [name]Zeb[/name]
[name]Beau[/name] and [name]Otis[/name]
[name]Louis[/name] and [name]Beau[/name]
[name]Louis[/name] and [name]Otis[/name]
[name]Otis[/name] and [name]Leif[/name]
[name]Sebastian[/name] and [name]Louis[/name] (Looiss, lol)
[name]Felix[/name] and [name]Caspar[/name] (except that seems like you named them after the cat and the ghost. Could potentially be cute, though)
[name]Soren[/name] and [name]Boaz[/name]

Those are the ones that stood out to me. If you had three boys I would name them [name]Otis[/name], [name]Louis[/name] and [name]Beau[/name]

GIRLS:
[name]Iris[/name]- Beautiful, I love it
[name]Lyra[/name]- pretty cool! Good sister to [name]Soren[/name], I think
[name]Lotte[/name]- I’d like it more as a nn for [name]Charlotte[/name].
[name]Allegra[/name]- I can only think of the medicine :frowning: but it IS really pretty
[name]Mary[/name]- I just adore [name]Mary[/name].
[name]Lulu[/name]- I like [name]Lulu[/name] as a nickname. I think it works for any L name
[name]Winter[/name]- It makes an amazing middle, not sure about it as a first name.

My fave girls name would without a doubt be [name]Mary[/name] [name]Winter[/name]! Oh my, I love that! I think a great sister would be [name]Louisa[/name] nn [name]Lulu[/name]. Or, for a brother [name]Louis[/name] [name]Sebastian[/name], love that! Oh, I could see [name]Mary[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] as sisters. [name]Mary[/name], [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name]! Their brothers could be [name]Sebastian[/name] and [name]Felix[/name]. I love that sibset.

In order of personal preference w/ notes:
[name]Caspar[/name] - I love this name – one of my favorites. Friendly, established but fresh.
[name]Louis[/name] - Strong, solid, masculine.
[name]Sebastian[/name] - it’s a bit long for my taste and slightly trendy. [name]Don[/name]'t love the nicknames “[name]Seb[/name]” or “Sebby.” But a good name.
[name]Soren[/name] - different without being “youneek,” pleasing sound, but slightly feminine to my ear.
[name]Felix[/name] - My husband loves this name; I can’t get past [name]Felix[/name] the cat & [name]Felix[/name] Unger. Feels like it’s trying too hard. But not a bad name.
[name]Otis[/name] - Again, affiliations to my ears of elevators & “The Incredible [name]Journey[/name]”; also, I’m just not into “country-fried” names.
[name]Zeb[/name] - [name]Zeb[/name]'s dead, baby. [name]Zeb[/name]'s dead.
[name]Beau[/name] - I have too many friends with labradors named [name]Beau[/name]. 80’s-tastic. And again – country-fried.
[name]Boaz[/name] - to me this hasn’t made it past “Biblical” and again, seems to me as though it’s trying hard.
[name]Leif[/name] - I’m feeling this getting too trendy, plus it’s sort of girlie to me.

GIRLS:
[name]Mary[/name] - I think this is a wonderful name. It’s been out of style so long it’s fresh again, and it’s got such wonderful connotations.
[name]Iris[/name] - [name]Lovely[/name], if a bit “old-lady” for some.
[name]Allegra[/name] - Beautiful, but a lot of name.
[name]Lotte[/name] - I would go with [name]Charlotte[/name] shortened to “[name]Lotte[/name],” see below “[name]Lulu[/name].”
[name]Lulu[/name] - I think this is so cute. However, I’m against diminutives for girls as a first name. Women can have a hard enough time in the workplace and world without being saddled with a name that could also be used for a small child. “[name]Lucy[/name]” called [name]Lulu[/name] would be a good choice. I give names the Secretary of State Test: “Ladies and Gentlemen, Secretary of State [name]Lulu[/name] [name]Smith[/name].” See? Not going to happen. “[name]Lucy[/name] [name]Smith[/name]” has a better shot. (Sorry if I went on a bit, I have strong feelings on this.)
[name]Winter[/name] - This one just doesn’t do it for me. Feels slightly down-market for some reason.
[name]Lyra[/name] - The capital of [name]Peru[/name].

Sorry! Lima is obviously the capital of [name]Peru[/name]. Lira is a currency. Either way I’m not crazy about it as a name.

Thanks for your opinions
I love the sound of [name]Mary[/name] [name]Winter[/name]… I just worry that [name]Mary[/name] sounds too “old”.
I like [name]Lulu[/name] more as a nickname too, but just can’t think of any longer names I like for it. I love [name]Louisa[/name] but it’s my cousins name so I can’t use it :(.
I never thought of the nn Ash for Sebastian, I really like that!!!

Thankyou for your honesty!!!
I have been worried that a lot of our boys names sound like dog/cat/ghost names!
I do agree with you about [name]Lotte[/name] and [name]Lulu[/name]… it’s just [name]Charlotte[/name] is too common where I’m from and I’m not sold on and [name]Lulu[/name] names.
The reason for [name]Lyra[/name] was I fell in love with it after reading Northern Lights (The [name]Golden[/name] Compass), but I think it’s a bit too close to lycra or liar… I think it’s off the list!!

I don’t think [name]Mary[/name] sounds old at all. I know [name]Marys[/name] of all ages, and it has been in use forever. It’s a name that won’t ever sound dated, because it’s never gone out of use. Yes, it’s not popular now like it used to be… But isn’t that a good thing? If you had a [name]Mary[/name] she would be the only one in her class and I bet you anything people would find it very refreshing.

What are your favorite names on the list? It sort of seems like you don’t like them.

I love [name]Mary[/name] because it reminds me of the character from The [name]Secret[/name] Garden :slight_smile:

I do like the names on the list, especially the boys ones, I’m just having a hard time settling on one. I’ve always been really bad at making decisions!!
I was leanimng towards [name]Allegra[/name] but I’ve noticed a lot of people mentioning the medicine. I’ve never heard of it, is it just in a particular country? (I’m in Australia)

To be honest I’m pretty blank on girls names at the moment… hopefully it’s a boy!!

BOYS:
[name]Leif[/name]— love it
[name]Soren[/name]/ Sorensen-- thinking about adding it to my list!
[name]Sebastian[/name]-- was on my list, but since its the name of the town i live in… probly not
[name]Zeb[/name]-- super cool (im not helping here, i like them all too!)
[name]Felix[/name]- reminds me of a cat
[name]Caspar[/name]- reminds me of a ghost
[name]Beau[/name]- dont like “[name]BO[/name]!”
[name]Boaz[/name]-- hmm… its hard to pronounce? bo-azzz, or bose?
[name]Otis[/name]- i like milo better, but there it is- milo and otis reminder
[name]Louis[/name]- eh.

GIRLS:
[name]Iris[/name]- ok
[name]Lyra[/name]- ok
[name]Lotte[/name]- lottie? lot? doesnt sound nice
[name]Allegra[/name]- an allergy drug
[name]Mary[/name]- too plain
[name]Lulu[/name]- super cute!
[name]Winter[/name]- ok

i agree, your boys list is amazing and hard to narrow down. girls list… not my favs

I love:
[name]Leif[/name]
[name]Soren[/name]/ Sorensen
[name]Sebastian[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Caspar[/name]
[name]Otis[/name]
Awesome names! My favorite would be [name]Soren[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name] or [name]Felix[/name]
What about:
[name]Haakon[/name]
[name]Axel[/name]
[name]Lars[/name], nn [name]Lasse[/name]
For a girl, I like [name]Iris[/name] best - great name. What about:
[name]Mabel[/name], nn [name]May[/name]
[name]Malin[/name]
[name]Tove[/name]
[name]Colette[/name]
[name]Kari[/name]
[name]Marit[/name]
[name]Dagny[/name]
[name]Ingrid[/name]
[name]Mavis[/name]
[name]Avis[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]

I don’t particularly like any of the boy names and the girl names are alright, although I love [name]Mary[/name]. [name]Mary[/name] goes well with many other names. You could even do a double first name like [name]Mary[/name] [name]Kate[/name], one of my best friends’ name, [name]Mary[/name] [name]Grace[/name], or [name]Mary[/name] [name]Catherine[/name].

Thanks so much for your help everyone!!
For boys we have narrowed it down to [name]Sebastian[/name], [name]Felix[/name] or [name]Soren[/name].

For girls we are still stuck and would love more suggestions. From our list we are leaning towards [name]Iris[/name] or [name]Mary[/name] but I can’t say we really love either at the moment. My husband suggested [name]Florence[/name] last night, which I’m not sure about. Does anyone have any thoughts on [name]Florence[/name] (nn [name]Flora[/name]?)??

Here are my thoughts on names that you may like especially as you want to have several children.

I think [name]Louis[/name] nn [name]Lou[/name] would be a good start and to include a Scandinavian theme here are some ideas

[name]Louis[/name] [name]Christian[/name]
[name]Louis[/name] [name]Colby[/name]
[name]Louis[/name] [name]Anton[/name]
[name]Louis[/name] [name]Bjorn[/name]

I think that [name]Louis[/name] matches up in a subtle way to include a music theme if you think of [name]Louis[/name] [name]Armstrong[/name] and the girl’s name [name]Allegra[/name] which is of course a musical term.

If you want to use [name]Allegra[/name] as the first name then

[name]Allegra[/name] [name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name] [name]Katrin[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name] [name]Marianna[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name] [name]Heidi[/name]

If you like [name]Lotte[/name] as a nn then I would like to see siblings named [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Louis[/name]

[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elise[/name] nn [name]Lotte[/name] I love [name]Elise[/name] and it also reminds me of the music "Fur [name]Elise[/name]’

or
[name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Camille[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name] [name]Louise[/name] nn [name]Lulu[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name] [name]Astrid[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name] [name]Ingrid[/name]

or

[name]Tallulah[/name] Geneveive nn [name]Lulu[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Winter[/name] nn [name]Rosie[/name], [name]Rose[/name], [name]Romy[/name]
[name]Yolanda[/name] [name]Mary[/name]
Boys again

[name]Evan[/name] [name]Leif[/name]
[name]Evan[/name] [name]Heath[/name]
[name]Axel[/name] Nicholai
[name]Jonathan[/name] [name]Beau[/name]
[name]Harrison[/name] [name]Felix[/name]
[name]Charles[/name] [name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Jeremiah[/name] or [name]Jeremy[/name] [name]Willem[/name] [name]Beau[/name]

I had the same problem. My first daughter would have been [name]Lyra[/name] if my husband hadn’t come back saying that it sounded like liar. Makes me sad because I think its such a cool name!

My favorites on your list (aside from [name]Lyra[/name]) are [name]Sebastian[/name] and [name]Iris[/name]. [name]Both[/name] are fabulous names!

I love your short list of [name]Felix[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name] and [name]Soren[/name] for boys.
For girls:
[name]Allegra[/name] is one of my very favorite names. It’s an allergy medication in [name]America[/name] but that wouldn’t stop me from using it - and I’m in [name]America[/name] - so your being in Australia is all the better. It’s not like it’s a medicine for some horrrible or embarrassing affliction. I think it means happy though, so I don’t know if you would pair it with [name]Joy[/name]. I think [name]Allegra[/name] would be a great sister to [name]Soren[/name], [name]Sebastian[/name] or [name]Felix[/name].
[name]Iris[/name] - it is underused in the flower theme. The only thing I don’t like about is that there’s no natural way to shorten it. I don’t mean for a nn, which is not needed for such a short name, but just at home or when calling in from the yard, etc. What would you call her, I?
[name]Mary[/name] - a lot of nameberries like it but I find it a little plain.
[name]Florence[/name] - I prefer the full name [name]Flora[/name] but both are surprising and sweet I think

Some ideas:
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Zinnia[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Marin[/name]
[name]Sigrid[/name]
[name]Celeste[/name]
[name]Tahlia[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]

Good luck!

Ideas for [name]Lulu[/name] since you can’t use [name]Louisa[/name]:

[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Lucinda[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Eluned[/name]
[name]Alula[/name]
[name]Louisiana[/name]
[name]Blue[/name]
[name]Luella[/name]
Lulette
[name]Luna[/name]

I know some are kinda out-there, but do you see any you like? I love [name]Lulu[/name].

BOYS:
[name]Leif[/name] - I like [name]Leif[/name], it’s different, but accessible.
[name]Soren[/name]/ Sorensen - Meh. I don’t hate it, but I can’t say I like it.
[name]Sebastian[/name] - I really like [name]Sebastian[/name].
[name]Zeb[/name] - [name]Don[/name]'t love it, plus the long forms I really dislike.
[name]Felix[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Felix[/name].
[name]Caspar[/name] - Not bad.
[name]Beau[/name] - [name]Love[/name] love love [name]Beau[/name].
[name]Boaz[/name] - Dislike.
[name]Otis[/name] - Not sure how I feel about it. I feel like I should like it, but I don’t.
[name]Louis[/name] - Not a fan.

GIRLS:
[name]Iris[/name] - Like.
[name]Lyra[/name] - Like.
[name]Lotte[/name] - Is it pronounced lot-e? If so I like it.
[name]Allegra[/name] - Dislike. I only thing of medicine.
[name]Mary[/name] - Sweet, good history, underused.
[name]Lulu[/name] - Probably my least favorite double L name.
[name]Winter[/name] - Only good as a middle, and I don’t like it on girls much.

Here are my thoughts on your top pics and a few more ideas to consider:

BOYS
[name]Sebastian[/name] - I really like the idea of this name with [name]Ash[/name] as a nn. The only downside is the full name is a little long for me. This name sounds strong to me, as well as athletic and musical.
[name]Felix[/name] - this is a great name, short and sweet, and I imagine a cool, clever little boy.
[name]Soren[/name] - This is by far my least favorite. It seems a bit forlorn, and then I looked up the meaning, severe. When I say it I hear a few things, “siren” as in tornado siren, “sore” as in pain or worse, a sore loser.

[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Dane[/name]
[name]Clark[/name]

GIRLS
[name]Florence[/name] - I think this is really cute, but I really prefer [name]Flora[/name] on it’s own, you really can’t go wrong with naming her after a goddess!
[name]Iris[/name] - This is nice, although not my favorite. Although I think there are prettier flower names, this would be really cute on a little girl.
[name]Mary[/name] - I agree with the other posters, although it’s not my taste, I think [name]Mary[/name] is classic and could never go out of style. It would indeed be refreshing! Plus coupled with a cool/unique middle name like “[name]Winter[/name]” You give her options to spice things up if she decides she wants to go by something else. My only hesitation with this one is that if you decide to have a big family, I feel like this name doesn’t go as much with your other favorites, and you might find it harder to choose #2 and #3

[name]Aster[/name] - means star as well as a flower name
[name]Briar[/name] - I think this both a spunky and pretty name
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Lilla[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Fern[/name]

After some discussion we have come up with a new girls list:

[name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Clotilde[/name]
[name]Matilde[/name]

As for the boys we are leaning towards [name]Felix[/name] but are considering a new option, [name]Blue[/name] nn [name]Louie[/name] :slight_smile: