Opinions, please.

I used to care less about these names and now I really like them. Honest opinions please, thank you.

[name]Eloise[/name]:
[name]Elspeth[/name]:
[name]Emilia[/name]:
[name]Cosette[/name]:
[name]Celia[/name]:
[name]Imogen[/name]:
[name]Persephone[/name]:
[name]Phoebe[/name]:
[name]Primrose[/name]:
Saoirsa:
[name]Sybil[/name]:

[name]Hi[/name] Bedhead, here are my thoughts on your girls name list.
[name]Eloise[/name]: Sweet and spunky
[name]Elspeth[/name]: Rare Scottish gem
[name]Emilia[/name]: I’m slowly coming round to this spelling but still prefer [name]Amelia[/name] a la Ms [name]Earhart[/name] a little more. Classic and pretty.
[name]Cosette[/name]: A little too cutesy for a proper name but the nn [name]Coco[/name] would be adorable for a little girl. I’m not sure if I can imagine a [name]Cosette[/name] as a mature woman. There is always [name]Colette[/name] of course.
[name]Persephone[/name]: Not a fan. I do love [name]Penelope[/name] though. This name just seems like overkill to me. But then again I didn’t like [name]Penelope[/name] when I was younger either so my opinion could change in the future.
[name]Phoebe[/name]: See [name]Eloise[/name].
[name]Primrose[/name]: [name]Lovely[/name] name but I don’t know if I would use it as the first name. It’s better in the middle spot.
Saoirsa: I think it’s spelled [name]Saoirse[/name] with an “e”. Difficult to spell and pronounce which is always a drawback for any name.
[name]Sybil[/name]: I love this underused name. It’s simple and quite sweet with a long history. I also love [name]Sybilla[/name] too!

Okay, here goes!

[name]Eloise[/name]: Nice, cute, pretty, a little snobby/aristocratic. [name]Louisa[/name] is a similar, nice & underused name.
[name]Elspeth[/name]: I’m sorry, but I don’t get this name at all. It sounds like someone hocking a loogie to me. A name only nameberryites could like. The average American, no. Stick with [name]Elisa[/name], [name]Eliza[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], etc.
[name]Emilia[/name]: Cute, pretty, elegant, beautiful sound, a little more graceful and less spunky than [name]Amelia[/name], slightly aristocratic but I like it.
[name]Cosette[/name]: Cute, pretty, Cosy would be an adorable nickname! But I could easily picture it on a grown woman as well. I like this one.
[name]Persephone[/name]: Too eccentric for my tastes. [name]Seraphina[/name] looks/sounds similar but is much prettier imo.
[name]Phoebe[/name]: Yes!! Such a great name!! Perfect in just about every way.
[name]Primrose[/name]: Too “prim” and prissy. [name]Rose[/name] is very nice and underused as a first name.
Saoirsa: I’d prefer [name]Saoirse[/name]; the spelling is confusing enough already! But it’s a nice, pretty, sort of exotic name.
[name]Sybil[/name]: Not very cute or elegant, very plain and stodgy. [name]How[/name] about [name]Mabel[/name], similar but maybe a little cuter?

Good luck :slight_smile:

[name]Eloise[/name]–I like it, but I like [name]Elise[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name] better. I love the nns [name]Ella[/name] and [name]Lou[/name]/[name]Lulu[/name] for this, though.

[name]Elspeth[/name]–like a lot. [name]Sophia[/name] [name]Elspeth[/name] used to be on my list. I probably wouldn’t use it now, though. I just like other forms of [name]Elizabeth[/name] (namely [name]Isabelle[/name], [name]Elise[/name], and [name]Elsa[/name]) better. I do love the nn potential of [name]Ella[/name] and [name]Elsa[/name], though!

[name]Emilia[/name]–like a lot. I just realized recently that my grandmother’s name was [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Amelia[/name], so I’ve been considering [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Catherine[/name] to honor her.

[name]Cosette[/name]–okay. For some reason, lately I’ve been loving [name]Annabelle[/name] [name]Miriam[/name] [name]Cosette[/name], and for some reason, I’m not a huge fan of [name]Miriam[/name] and [name]Cosette[/name]! And not together. lol. I do love the similar French [name]Odette[/name], though!

[name]Persephone[/name]–not crazy about it, sorry. I agree with fuzzycub–I like [name]Seraphina[/name] a lot more.

[name]Phoebe[/name]–this has really grown on me. Not sure I would use it yet, but I considered [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Phoebe[/name] a while ago!

[name]Primrose[/name]–not a fan of the majority of -rose/[name]Rose[/name]- names. [name]Rosalie[/name] is probably the only one I can tolerate.

Saoirsa–sorry, not my thing. I like a few Gaelic/Irish/Scottish/Welsh names, but [name]Saoirse[/name] is not one of them…

[name]Sybil[/name]–I actually really like this. I probably wouldn’t use it, though.

[name]Eloise[/name] and [name]Emilia[/name] are my favorites! Good luck!

Thank you all for your lovely and very helpful comments. These are all names I’ve come around to that I didn’t like so much not too long ago so I really appreciate everyone’s thoughts. I forgot to add[name]Imogen[/name], a name I’m still not sure about but one of my favorite singers is [name]Imogen[/name] Heap. I love her music so obvs. it has helped alot because I did not understand this name at all before.

Anymore thoughts?

I really like [name]Imogen[/name]! I would only use it as a MN. I like the nns [name]Immy[/name] and [name]Gen[/name], but I prefer [name]Gen[/name] as a nn for [name]Genevieve[/name], and I like [name]Emmy[/name] a LOT better than [name]Immy[/name]. I had [name]Arianne[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Noelle[/name] on my list (second pick) for months, but I recently replaced it with [name]Arianne[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Kate[/name]. I still really, really like [name]Arianne[/name] [name]Imogen[/name] [name]Noelle[/name], though!

I think [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Imogen[/name], and [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Imogen[/name]…

[name]Eloise[/name]: One of my newer favorites! I think it’s lovely. :slight_smile:
[name]Elspeth[/name]: A bit too hissy for me, but it’s a nice enough name and [name]Elsa[/name] would be a cute nickname.
[name]Emilia[/name]: I’m starting to really prefer this spelling over [name]Amelia[/name]. Very pretty!
[name]Cosette[/name]: The fact that it’s an invented name bothers me a bit. I actually know a [name]Cosette[/name]; she’s probably 18 now.
[name]Celia[/name]: It’s very pretty, but I prefer [name]Cecilia[/name] and [name]Cecily[/name].
[name]Imogen[/name]: I’ve never seen the appeal of this name. I find it clunky and unattractive and it doesn’t even look like a name.
[name]Persephone[/name]: Too over the top for real life, but I like it. It’d always be pronounced ‘purse-e-phone’. :expressionless:
[name]Phoebe[/name]: I love [name]Phoebe[/name]!
[name]Primrose[/name]: It’s much too prim and proper for me; honestly, I’d find it ridiculous on a real person. I do think it makes a lovely middle name for something more classic.
Saoirsa: It’s supposed to be [name]Saoirse[/name], and either way I think its unwieldy spelling makes it unusable away from [name]Ireland[/name].
[name]Sybil[/name]: Yuck, I’ve never liked the sound of [name]Sybil[/name]. [name]Sybilla[/name] is marginally better.

My favorites are [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Celia[/name], and [name]Phoebe[/name].

[name]Eloise[/name]: I like this fairly well. Charming name, and I don’t mind the reference to the book about the little girl who lived in the Plaza.
[name]Elspeth[/name]: I was never really a fan of it. [name]Elsa[/name] is OK. I like [name]Elise[/name] and [name]Elisa[/name].
[name]Emilia[/name]: I actually like it better than [name]Amelia[/name] although not as much as [name]Amelie[/name].
[name]Cosette[/name]: it’s cute but I think not an actual name in [name]France[/name].
[name]Celia[/name]: I really like it. Would consider myself if I had a daughter.
[name]Imogen[/name]: Not a favorite of mine, but I don’t think it’s awful.
[name]Persephone[/name]: I love the sound of it but don’t think I’d use it, and don’t particularly love any nn for it. I think you have to be adventurous to use this name. Could make an interesting middle name.
[name]Phoebe[/name]: A lot of people love this name; I don’t mind it, but not a big fan.
[name]Primrose[/name]: something more I’d like to have in my garden than a name I’d like to have. The [name]Rose[/name] part is nice, it’ that prim part I don’t like. I hear it’s not uncommon in [name]England[/name].
[name]Saoirse[/name]: I like this (I love Gaelic names despite the spelling and pronunciation difficulties). Depending on the last name, it could sound lovely.
[name]Sybil[/name]: I never found this to be a pretty name, but for some reason I find the name [name]Sybilla[/name] quite interesting and usable.

Okay, I didn’t do [name]Celia[/name] and [name]Imogen[/name] before, so:

[name]Celia[/name]: Very pretty, I like it better than [name]Cecilia[/name] although it makes me think of Celiac disease a little bit.
[name]Imogen[/name]: I agree with both of the previous posters: “it doesn’t even look like a name,” but “I like the nns [name]Immy[/name] and [name]Gen[/name].” “I think [name]Emilia[/name] [name]Imogen[/name], [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Imogen[/name], and [name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Imogen[/name]…”

Although, come to think of it I wonder if [name]Jennifer[/name] “looked like a name” the first time people saw it.

Also like this comment: “[name]Elspeth[/name]: A bit too hissy for me.” :wink:

[name]Eloise[/name]: My daughter’s name, so yep, I love it.
[name]Elspeth[/name]: Dislike
[name]Emilia[/name]: My other daughter’s name is [name]Amelia[/name], so like this, too.
[name]Cosette[/name]: cute, wouldn’t use, though.
[name]Celia[/name]: [name]LOVE[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name]: want to love, but only kind of like
[name]Persephone[/name]: Meh.
[name]Phoebe[/name]: Like a lot.
[name]Primrose[/name]: [name]Stuffy[/name].
Saoirsa: I’ve never seen this spelling, so it looks off to me. [name]Saoirse[/name] looks better.
[name]Sybil[/name]: Dislike.