Opinions Please!

Hello there, my husband and I recently learned that we are expecting. It’s too soon for a gender reveal… but I’ve been making name decisions since before conception. We do have one child, a daughter, who remained nameless until her delivery. My husband and I could not agree & we’d like to avoid that situation with our new bundle of joy!

For some reason it is very important to me that my children’s names correspond. It’s a personal preference that really narrows the options! I prefer masculine girl’s names over feminine girl names. & during my first pregnancy, I took an interest in surnames. Weird, I know, but it gave me a unique first name that wasn’t too out of the ordinary. I know that most people will have some dislike for my preferences but I’m hoping to get some open minded opinions.

Our daughters name is Taytum [name_u]Raye[/name_u]. From the surname [name_u]Tatum[/name_u] and my husband’s middle name [name_u]Ray[/name_u]. I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] that her name does not contain many syllables and I like the flow from “[name_u]Tay[/name_u]” to “[name_u]Ray[/name_u]”. It’s so suiting for her and has overall been a huge hit.

I’m hoping this new baby will also be a girl. So far the two names I favor most are Tipton and [name_m]Thierry[/name_m]. I would spell Tipton as “Typton” to somewhat feminize and link it to “Taytum” through the use of a “y”. I like the spelling of [name_m]Thierry[/name_m], but am worried it would be mispronounced too often. I can see outsiders pronouncing it “[name_m]Theory[/name_m]” or “[name_u]Terry[/name_u]”, when in fact, it is pronounced like Tee-airy. Although [name_m]Thierry[/name_m] is an older [name_m]French[/name_m] name for males, I can see it making a great girl name.

In a nut shell, the names I’ve created are:
Typton Ryet (middle name pronounced Riot, but keeping the flow from “[name_m]Ty[/name_m]” to “[name_m]Ry[/name_m]”)
[name_m]Thierry[/name_m] Rhen (middle name similar to [name_u]Wren[/name_u], but keeping the flow from “Th” to “Rh”)

I’ve also considered giving up what I call the “flow” to use the name [name_m]Thierry[/name_m] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] because it also sounds wonderful.

Anyone have any opinions or suggestions on which names to move forward with? Comments are appreciated.

Maybe you would like [name_u]Tierney[/name_u]? Its similar to [name_m]Thierry[/name_m] and may not have as many pronunciation problems.

Typton Ryet seems to fit your objectives well. I would spell Ryet with an o, Ryot, instead, however, for pronunciation purposes. Actually, I wouldn’t use the Ys at all (Tipton Riot), but then that sounds a bit like a newspaper headline.

I don’t think you are going to have much luck with [name_m]Theirry[/name_m]. I imagine that most people would say “[name_u]Terry[/name_u]” and the few that have a background in [name_m]French[/name_m] would pronounce it the [name_m]French[/name_m] way, which is something like tehr-hee (I am terrible at writing names out phonetically, but I know a [name_m]French[/name_m] man with this name). I cannot imagine looking at [name_m]Theirry[/name_m] and knowing to say “tee-airy”.

I like the suggestion of [name_u]Tierney[/name_u]. It has the Y you are looking for, and sounds like a last name. I would also suggest Rhine (like the river) as a possible middle name. I also know a little girl named [name_f]Tinley[/name_f], which I think would fit perfectly with your specifications, and still has the Y.

Ryot would work as a middle name for either suggestion ([name_u]Tierney[/name_u] Ryet or [name_f]Tinley[/name_f] Ryet), and I think those names sound a bit less “newspaper-y” than Typton Ryet. I would also suggest Rhine (like the river), which you could spell with a Y if you so desired ([name_m]Rhyne[/name_m]) and [name_f]Rhea[/name_f] (or [name_f]Rhya[/name_f], if you really wanted the Y).

Personally, [name_f]Tinley[/name_f] Ryet and [name_f]Tinley[/name_f] [name_m]Rhyne[/name_m] are my favorites.

Typton Ryet seems to fit your objectives well. I would spell Ryet with an o, Ryot, instead, however, for pronunciation purposes. Actually, I wouldn’t use the Ys at all (Tipton Riot), but then that sounds a bit like a newspaper headline.

I don’t think you are going to have much luck with [name_m]Theirry[/name_m]. I imagine that most people would say “[name_u]Terry[/name_u]” and the few that have a background in [name_m]French[/name_m] would pronounce it the [name_m]French[/name_m] way, which is something like tehr-hee (I am terrible at writing names out phonetically, but I know a [name_m]French[/name_m] man with this name). I cannot imagine looking at [name_m]Theirry[/name_m] and knowing to say “tee-airy”.

I like the suggestion of [name_u]Tierney[/name_u]. It has the Y you are looking for, and sounds like a last name. I also know a little girl named [name_f]Tinley[/name_f], which I think would fit perfectly with your specifications, and still has the Y.

Ryet would work as a middle name for either suggestion ([name_u]Tierney[/name_u] Ryet or [name_f]Tinley[/name_f] Ryet), and I think those names sound a bit less “newspaper-y” than Typton Ryet. I would also suggest Rhine (like the river), which you could spell with a Y if you so desired ([name_m]Rhyne[/name_m]) and [name_f]Rhea[/name_f] (or [name_f]Rhya[/name_f], if you really wanted the Y).

Personally, [name_f]Tinley[/name_f] Ryet and [name_f]Tinley[/name_f] [name_m]Rhyne[/name_m] are my favorites.

I also second [name_u]Tierney[/name_u]. :slight_smile:

I met a [name_u]Tierney[/name_u] once and thought it was really lovely.

I love the suggestion of [name_u]Tierney[/name_u].
For me, Typton may be pronounced “type-ton” instead of like Tipton. And [name_m]Thierry[/name_m] will have plenty of pronunciation issues as well.

Other suggestions:
[name_u]Teagan[/name_u]
[name_f]Tinsley[/name_f]
[name_m]Truett[/name_m]
[name_f]Tamsin[/name_f]
[name_u]Torrance[/name_u]

Are you set on using a name that starts with T? If you’re not, there are plenty of fantastic surname names out there that would go nicely with Taytum.

Taytum & Tipton sound too samey together…Bit of a tongue twister to call out in the park! I live in [name_f]France[/name_f] and [name_m]Thierry[/name_m] is just a boys name. Also [name_m]Thierry[/name_m] + an “R” heavy middle name doesn’t flow too well [name_f]IMO[/name_f].