Oquirrh Liahona (Surname)?

Okay I posted a whole ago mentioning that I’m considering a Mormon-culture name for a future child…what are your thoughts on this?

Oquirrh is a goshute word, but also the name of a gorgeous mountain range and an LDS temple in [name_u]Utah[/name_u].

Liahona the word used in the Book of Mormon to describe a compass that was God gave the Nephites when they were in the wilderness. It led them to the promised land, but only worked if they were righteous.

Oquirrh is pronounced like ochre (oak-er), and Liahona is as it looks ([name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ah-ho-na).

It’s just something I’ve been considering, but I’m wondering how people would react to the name.

It’s unique although it’s kind of hard to spell Oquirrh. Liahona is fine. :slight_smile:

I imagine it would take quite a bit of getting used to, to come to spell and pronounce Oquirrh, however, if it is something you like, is important to you culturally and you don’t mind correcting people, than go right ahead and use it I say. I’d suggest switching the names (Liahona Oquirrh) to make it a little easier for her to live with (in regard to spelling and pronunciation) as Liahona I would imagine people would be more likely to pronounce correctly.

Personally, I like Liahona, it’s nice, and while I quite like the sound of Oquirrh, the spelling, to me, looks really chaotic and makes it feel harsher than it is (in sound).

I would have no idea how to pronounce or spell Oquirhh, and neither would 99% of the people your daughter will meet. You’ll also be giving her a name that links her so strongly and inextricably with your religion that she may find it burdensome should she choose another spiritual direction (or no direction at all). Liahona, on the other hand, is quite lovely, though it also looks made-up.

I agree with this, sorry.

Personally I’d suggest just Liahona Surname for a girl, which is lovely, and Oquirrh Surname for a boy, which sounds more masculine to me.

(I like the pronunciation of Oquirrh though it’s true the spelling is tricky-- and when I see it written down, my brain connects it with ‘squirrel’ because that’s the only other word I know which contains ‘quirr’. I don’t suppose you’d consider changing the spelling to a homophone like Oaker or Ochre, even if that makes the link less direct?)

I also like the idea of switching for Liahona Oquirrh :slight_smile:

It kind of sounds like Oklahoma when you say it fast :stuck_out_tongue:

I would swap it around so it was Liahona Oquirrh because Liahona looks easier to use and say than Oquirrh. Saying this, I am strongly against using very religious names as if to force religion onto the child (what if they want to change religious paths and are stuck with a strongly religious name that creates a barrier for them to do so?)

I like Liahona, but not Oquirrh.

I’m not a fan. As others have pointed out, is it hard to spell, hard to pronounce, and overall just not an attractive sound for a girl name in my opinion. Liahona is nicer. [name_u]Oakley[/name_u] is a great name which, though trendy, I think is pretty cute on a girl. I think [name_f]Augusta[/name_f]'s point about the religious specificity is valid as well.

It’s gibberish.

Wow, seriously? Because it’s a word in a language you personally don’t speak, it’s gibberish? Nice. This comment isn’t helpful at all.

I’m grateful for all the opinions, but curious about the ones saying to switch first and middle, while saying religious names aren’t a good option…Oquirrh is the less religious of the two in my mind, so I’m just a bit confused ; is it solely the pronunciation, or does Oquirrh seem equally religious? I don’t want to force a religion on my kid, but they’re both things that have a lovely meaning/association attached to them, that just happen to be religious in this case. (Would Oquirrh [name_f]Jane[/name_f] or [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] Liahona be a more palatable combo?)

I’m aware the pronunciation of Oquirrh isn’t very intuitive, but then neither is the pronunciation of [name_f]Aoife[/name_f] in [name_u]America[/name_u], but there are little girls here with that name, right? If it were a collection of letters I had made up I would be right there with you, but if it’s spelled that way in it’s original form, that’s acceptable, right?

Again, thanks for all the helpful input :slight_smile:

I’m LDS as well and I’ve always loved the idea of Oquirrh, I like the sound of it but the spelling has always stopped me from seriously considering it. But if the spelling/pronunciation issue doesn’t bother you then I don’t see why you couldn’t use it. Though I would choose a traditional feminine middle name (Oquirrh [name_f]Jane[/name_f] is adorable) that way if she doesn’t wasn’t such a unique name she has a fall back.
Same with Liahona.

If the Mormon church doesn’t object, I don’t see an issue for you.

I don’t like Oquirrh. My issue is not that it’s a religious name but that it lacks an intuitive spelling on any level and has an unattractive appearance. I think it would be a burden on the bearer unless she lived her entire life in an LDS enclave. Liahona is much prettier.

My concern is also spelling and prn. I would put one of those in the middle name slot.

I would have no idea how to say this name, and would surely butcher it if I tried. I honestly think it would be a headache for your child to have to correct spellings and pronunciations of it her whole life. It may not bother you as the parent, but it may be very annoying for your child to have to deal with.

The religious aspect isn’t an issue for me. In my opinion its no different than naming a child a more traditional biblical name. [name_m]Just[/name_m] because a name comes from a certain religion, that doesn’t mean the religion is being forced on the child.

Personally I would use it as a middle name, or not at all. Sorry to be so negative. :frowning:

I think it’s definitely intriguing, and would be interesting to meet someone with the name, but I think it would be a nightmare to live with. Unless you live in a very heavily-populated Mormon area, I think people would always assume Oquirrh was Oaker, and I doubt anyone would pronounce it right on the first appearance (I think I was thinking along the lines of oh-[name_m]KEER[/name_m], almost close to [name_u]Akira[/name_u] without the “A” on the end, and an “O” instead of the “A” at the beginning).

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the idea of Liahona, though! It almost feels Hawaiian, and it just seems really cool (even better since it honors your faith). I would keep Liahona as a MN, or even Oquirrh as a middle name, and find something a bit more usable up front? I am very religious, so I’m all for honoring one’s faith, but I’m not sure Oquirrh up front is the right fit, especially if you don’t live in a strong Mormon community.

I’m a Mormon and I live like a mile and a half from the Oquirrh Mountain temple, and most people I know would know how to spell and pronounce it, but that’s probably only because I live right in the heart of [name_u]Utah[/name_u], where the Mormon culture is so prominent. Outside of [name_u]Utah[/name_u], nobody would know how to spell/pronounce her name. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if you did stay in [name_u]Utah[/name_u] for her whole life, I think it might seem a little tacky. There are other names that you could use to tie her in to Mormon culture that would work better, I think.
[name_f]Emma[/name_f] (after [name_f]Emma[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m])
[name_f]Sariah[/name_f] (after Lehi’s wife in the BoM)
[name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Sarah[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] (all are mentioned in the BoM but are recognized in most [name_m]Christian[/name_m] religions as far as I know)
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] (another woman mentioned in the BoM, but she’s a harlot so maybe not haha)
[name_f]Julia[/name_f] ([name_f]Julia[/name_f] [name_m]Murdock[/name_m] [name_m]Smith[/name_m], [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]'s adopted daughter)
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f] ([name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_m]Mack[/name_m] [name_m]Smith[/name_m], [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]'s mother)

I just think that Oquirrh Liahona is a little too out there for most people. These names still have their ties to Mormon culture, but nonmembers or people who are unfamiliar with the BoM and Mormon culture won’t get confused by them. Does that make sense? Hopefully I helped!

Thanks, everyone, for your opinions! :slight_smile:

I’ve always loved Oquirrh, but only with that spelling. It loses its magic for me when it’s spelled differently, but you’re right, unless she lived in [name_u]Utah[/name_u] her entire life it could be a burden. I’m still keeping it on the backburner, but I think Oquirrh with a more normal middle might be acceptable. Once I threw it out in my last post I started really loving Oquirrh [name_f]Jane[/name_f].

There are other Mormon names I like much better than these that are much less obvious ([name_f]Emmeline[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], etc) but I’ve always loved Oquirrh and needed to know what the reactions would be.

As far as having to correct spelling/pronunciation all her life, I am honestly okay with it, because I have to do that for my middle name and surname constantly, and it doesn’t bug me. I also grew up with a lot of girls who had names with less than intuitive spellings and quickly learned to spell their names, so that part of it just seems normal to me.

I do think I might drop Liahona, though, because when I put it with another name I just didn’t quite love it as much. I love the meaning still, so I’ll keep considering it.

Thank you to everyone who submitted a helpful opinion, I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

I probably would have guessed the correct pronunciation (somehow…) but I honestly opened the thread before I embarrassed myself trying. I’m all for unique names, but I prefer them to be easy to spell and say. Makes things a million times easier for everyone.