Orla vs. Arla vs. Isla

Not expecting, just collecting (and thinning out the herd a bit!).

I have [name_f]Orla[/name_f], [name_f]Arla[/name_f] and [name_f]Isla[/name_f] all on my list, and as much as I’d love to keep all three, I know that realistically, one day I will have to choose, because they’re all very similar in sound, lol.

Here’s the rundown:

[name_f]Orla[/name_f] has been on and off of my list for years - probably for the last 10 or so? Definitely since my teens, anyways. To my understanding, [name_f]Orla[/name_f] is an anglicization of [name_f]Orlaith[/name_f], which means “golden princess” in Irish Gaelic. For me, the meaning is lovely, because my childhood nickname from my beloved grandmother was “princess”. [name_f]My[/name_f] biggest hesitation is that [name_f]Orla[/name_f] can have the last two letters rearranged to spell “oral” - clearly not an issue in some areas (as it’s in the top 100 in [name_f]England[/name_f] and [name_f]Scotland[/name_f]) though, but I worry that in [name_f]Canada[/name_f], it could be bad?
Hyphenations: [name_f]Orla[/name_f]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Orla[/name_f]-[name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_f]Orla[/name_f]-[name_u]Rae[/name_u]

[name_f]Arla[/name_f] is a relatively new one for me, but I simply adore it. It’s a Swedish name meaning “early” and for me, is similar enough to [name_f]Aria[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f], etc. without blending in to the crowd too much, imo. I don’t know that I love it more than [name_f]Orla[/name_f], but I think I could if I let it? Also, not really a negative, but there is a brand of cheese here called [name_f]Arla[/name_f].
Hyphenations: [name_f]Arla[/name_f]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Arla[/name_f]-[name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_f]Arla[/name_f]-[name_u]Rae[/name_u]

[name_f]Isla[/name_f] is one I’ve also liked for a long time, I love that it’s a Scottish place name, but it’s also a bit popular where I am? I did a work placement for college in a daycare centre that had two Islas in the same class, and I think I might know of one or two more, but all will be considerably older than my children (as I’m not expecting or TTC at the moment). [name_f]My[/name_f] biggest drawback is I’ve heard [name_f]Isla[/name_f] pronounced as “iss-la”, which I don’t like, and S/O’s cousin, who we see maybe 3-4 times a year, has an [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] (ay as in “play” + la).
Hyphenations: [name_f]Isla[/name_f]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f]-[name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_f]Isla[/name_f]-[name_u]Rae[/name_u]

Which would you choose and why? :slight_smile:

Thank you!!

All three are so beautiful, so I can see why this is a difficult decision!!

[name_f]Orla[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Orla[/name_f] too! I think it’s such a beautiful name, especially with that meaning. I really love the connection you have with it, what a sweet way to associate the name with your grandmother. I completely understand your reservations about ‘oral’ though, as that’s the reason I took it off my first name list! I think it could definitely work though. Kids find ways to tease any name (I was 1 of at least 3 Ashleys in every class, and still got teased for my name haha). Also, I’ve seen a bunch of people use [name_f]Coral[/name_f] lately (which I also love), and that’s way closer to oral than [name_f]Orla[/name_f]! It’s definitely something to consider, but shouldn’t be a dealbreaker in my opinion. Especially if you’re going to hyphenate it, I think that distracts a lot from the oral situation! [name_f]Orla[/name_f]-[name_f]Mae[/name_f] is just the sweetest, and [name_f]Orla[/name_f]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f] is so beautiful :slightly_smiling_face:

[name_f]Arla[/name_f] - [name_f]Arla[/name_f] is gorgeous! I have a love of “Ar-” names, I’ve noticed, and this is no exception. I also like that it’s similar to names like [name_f]Aria[/name_f] which makes it familiar, but still unique enough to stand out. I personally don’t think the cheese is that big of an issue. However, I think because it’s newer, it seems like you’re not as attached to it. It maybe is one you can keep on the long list, just in case your love for it grows! [name_f]Arla[/name_f]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f] is stunning.

[name_f]Isla[/name_f] - [name_f]Isla[/name_f] is one of my favorites! [name_u]Ever[/name_u] since I was first introduced to the name thanks to [name_f]Isla[/name_f] [name_m]Fisher[/name_m], I’ve loved it. But, it seems like it’s very popular where you live. That maybe might not be a deal breaker, depending on how you feel towards popularity, but it is something to consider. Another thing to consider is your relative named [name_f]Ayla[/name_f]. It’s not the exact same though, especially if you hyphenate it! Also, I’ve never personally heard it mispronounced. I think it’s closeness to words like ‘island’ help! [name_f]Isla[/name_f]-[name_f]Mae[/name_f] is so cute, I love it!!!

Overall, I think my favorite for you is [name_f]Orla[/name_f]. You’ve loved it for so long, and I can tell how much you love it just by reading how you talk about it. I absolutely love the association it has with your grandmother as well, and I love that it will always have those memories attached to it for you and your daughter. I think out of the three, it’s definitely my favorite for you!!

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Orla[/name_f]! [name_f]Arla[/name_f] is nice too, I haven’t heard it before. Not a big fan of [name_f]Isla[/name_f] but I can see the appeal. If I had to choose one it would be [name_f]Orla[/name_f].

2 Likes

Ooh, this is tough! They’re all really lovely :blush:

[name_f]Orla[/name_f]–[name_f]Orla[/name_f] is so simple yet beautiful, and the meaning (both the general one and the personal one) make it extra special. I can see what you mean about the “oral” situation, but hopefully it wouldn’t be a huge issue. As @regionlatbest said, kids will tease any name if they want to, and I don’t think this one is excessively prone. Especially because it doesn’t naturally shorten to anything closer to “oral” (Or, [name_u]Ori[/name_u], [name_f]Orly[/name_f], etc. rather than [name_f]Ora[/name_f]/Oral), and also because by the time most kids will understand why “oral” might make good teasing material, many of them also will have outgrown the prime of name teasing. [name_f]Orla[/name_f] clearly means so much to you, which makes me kind of love it for you!

[name_f]Arla[/name_f]–Ooh, this is really pretty. I don’t think the cheese brand is a big deal unless it’s the type of thing where everyone refers to it by its brand name (a la Kleenex) which it doesn’t sound like is the case. [name_f]My[/name_f] only hesitation with [name_f]Arla[/name_f]–which is a very minor one!–is that I initially misread it as [name_f]Aria[/name_f], and I can see that happening again (especially when it’s typed). That said, that’s a really tiny concern and for the most part I think this is a really lovely, appealing name.

[name_f]Isla[/name_f]–Oh, I love [name_f]Isla[/name_f]! It’s so simple yet sweet and energetic. It is getting pretty common, I think–but on the bright side, the more exposure it gets, the less often it’s likely to get mispronounced! I’m guessing people would get this one right most of the time, although you’d probably still get the occasional “iss-luh.” [name_f]Isla[/name_f] doesn’t necessarily seem too close to [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] for cousins, but I have a little trouble getting my head around it only because I’ve also heard [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] pronounced like [name_f]Isla[/name_f]! I don’t think it’s a huge deal in this case, though.

I’m inclined to choose either [name_f]Orla[/name_f] or [name_f]Isla[/name_f] for you, because both have that special-ness of long-time name loves. I think [name_f]Orla[/name_f] gets my first vote; I love the meaning and the connection to your grandmother so much. And I love how it’s short and sweet but has plenty of sound and personality. [name_f]Isla[/name_f] would be my second pick, if you just can’t quite get past the “oral” thing. Such a pretty set of names overall, any of them would make a lovely choice!

3 Likes

Orla! I love the sounds and the meaning

1 Like

Orla: it’s so meaningful to you! I honestly don’t think “oral” will be that big of an issue but maybe I’m just a namenerd lol. This is my top choice for you unless you can’t get over that concern. It’s a beautiful name that would age well and is familiar enough that most will probably have heard it before, but of course it’s not overwhelmingly popular near you either!

Arla: beautiful! I’d rank it last for you, though, because it’s such a recent love. Unless you come to adore it more than [name_f]Orla[/name_f] or [name_f]Isla[/name_f], in which case, go for it! But as it stands now it seems less meaningful to you than [name_f]Orla[/name_f].

Isla: my personal favorite out of this list, though you’re right that it is incredibly popular at the moment. I think the similarity between [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] and [name_f]Isla[/name_f] is completely fine. [name_f]Ayla[/name_f] and [name_f]Isla[/name_f] wouldn’t be siblings, and it’s your S/O’s cousin rather than his sibling, and you see them fairly infrequently.

By the way, I have a first cousin whose name is very close to mine both sound and spelling-wise. Sometimes family will mishear the name and have to take a moment to clarify who is being discussed or called, but it’s honestly not that big of a deal. Usually context takes care of the issue. When we found out what they were naming her my parents had a moment of “Oh, that is VERY close to our daughter’s name, what a lovely sound that we liked so much we chose it for our own daughter.” I don’t see my cousin very often, maybe a few times a year, but even if I saw her weekly I still don’t think it would be an issue. I know that’s very specific to my own family but maybe that helps a bit!

1 Like

[name_f]Arla[/name_f] is probably my favorite of the bunch! The sounds in [name_f]Orla[/name_f] really don’t appeal to me, and [name_f]Isla[/name_f] has gotten so popular and trendy.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Orla[/name_f]. It’s simple and interesting, with a lovely meaning. I love the “princess” link!

Arla is a big dairy brand here in the UK so instantly makes me think of milk and cheese. I quite like the sound, but I feel like it would get mixed up with [name_f]Isla[/name_f] and [name_f]Aria[/name_f] a fair bit, since it’s much less known.

Isla is very much THE girl name where I live, along with [name_f]Lily[/name_f]. It’s very pretty and cool and I can see why it’s so popular, but I’ll admit that I’ve heard it just too much since having young children and it’s lost it’s lustre for me.

Orla all the way! I love it best on its own, but [name_f]Orla[/name_f]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f] would be my favourite if you did choose to hyphenate.

2 Likes

Orla gets my vote for the longevity and your personal significance it has for you.

2 Likes

Of the three I just love [name_f]Orla[/name_f]!

1 Like

Isla is my favourite of the bunch by far! Not a fan of either [name_f]Arla[/name_f] or [name_f]Orla[/name_f]

1 Like

Isla is my favourite. And I think most people know how to pronounce that. Unless they can’t read the world island

2 Likes

[name_f]Orla[/name_f]! Not unfamiliar but still unexpected, at least outside of [name_f]Ireland[/name_f]. [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] meaning, too, and the connection to your grandmother makes it even more meaningful. [name_f]Isla[/name_f] has a lovely sound but it is super popular where I live and because of that it’s just lost it’s spark. :frowning:

1 Like

I had the same exact thoughts as @katinka. The only thing I want to add is that I’d never thought about the oral thing before, and given [name_f]Orla[/name_f]’s popularity I don’t think many other people did either. I don’t see why it would be different in [name_f]Canada[/name_f], unless there’s some kind of cultural connection I’m missing?

But definitely [name_f]Orla[/name_f]! I like [name_f]Orla[/name_f]-[name_f]Rose[/name_f] best, with [name_f]Orla[/name_f]-[name_f]Mae[/name_f] as a close second if you wanted to hyphenate it.

1 Like