Ornate Winter/Yule/New Year names?

I’m having a baby in mid-to-late [name]January[/name] or thereabouts, and feel strongly that it is a girl, (DH and I cannot even think of any boy names, so if it turns out to be a son, we’ll deal with that then, even if it takes a few weeks after the birth to decide)

and the name that first came to me was [name]Joy[/name]. The hard part is, the siblings are [name]Hope[/name] [name]Martha[/name] and [name]Langdon[/name] [name]Michael[/name] (they go by [name]Hope[/name] and [name]Michael[/name]) and [name]Joy[/name] might sound like I am trying to be kitschy with daughters’ names.

My DH has longed for an elaborate, polysyllabic girlie-girl name, and I put my foot down pretty much eternally against [name]Natasha[/name] and [name]Sasha[/name] and the other Russian names he’s fond of, because a) I don’t like them even though I speak Russian, and b) we haven’t a drop of Russian heritage between us, so it seems pretentious, and c) I want our kids to sound like they came from the same family, not a bunch of separate international adoptions.

So he suggested [name]Anastasia[/name] ([name]Anastacia[/name]) as a middle name, and we both like the ring of [name]Joy[/name] [name]Anastasia[/name], both for the season, and the meaning (even though it’s not an [name]Easter[/name] [name]Baby[/name]).

Problem is, if she went by [name]Joy[/name], we’d have 3 single-syllable kids ([name]Hope[/name], [name]Mike[/name], and [name]Joy[/name]) and DH really wants his one chance at a pink-satin-ribbons-and-lace name for a daughter. If she went by [name]Anastasia[/name], which is pretty albeit a tad commonplace, it would get shortened by everyone to [name]Ana[/name], which I really don’t care for. It’s harmless enough, but lacks distinction and is extremely common.

So… I’m trying to find pretty, perhaps Victorian, but ornate, yet well-rooted (traditional, vintage, or historically sacred to the season) names for a girl, to consider. So far,
[name]Evangeline[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Angelica[/name]
[name]Celestine[/name]

sound decent enough

and I like the meaning and tradition behind [name]Rowan[/name] and [name]Holly[/name], but not the more recent social connotations they bear. [name]Diana[/name] is a great choice for a winter-born girl, that connotes feminity, personal power, etc, but has been worn too thin in recent decades for my taste.

Interestingly, I also like some of the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name]/Romanesque/Romantic/Classical Revival names such as [name]Minerva[/name], [name]Araminta[/name], etc but since our other two children have comparatively staid names, I don’t want the third to sound like an au pair visiting from abroad! LOL

Can anyone suggest pretty, feminine (or perhaps strong-yet-feminine, like [name]Rosalind[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name], and [name]Eleanor[/name]) names that evoke something of the sacred observances of winter, yuletide, the beginning of new hopes for a new year, and/or something heavenly and/or traditionally sacred?

Thanks for any help!

Ooooo what a fun quest! Can I first say that I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Hope[/name]? I hadn’t ever really thought about it until I met a little [name]Hope[/name] and it is just soulful!

Ok, so here are some thoughts:

[name]Celeste[/name]–Husband could always call her [name]Celestine[/name]/[name]Celestia[/name] etc. for a nn
[name]Felicity[/name]–It comes from the Latin for [name]Fortune[/name] and could well reflect the New Year
[name]Marielle[/name]–A flowery [name]Mary[/name] name could be a comprise
[name]Mirabelle[/name]–from the French for miraculous, [name]Mira[/name] is a great nn to make the name less frou-frou
[name]Virginia[/name]–nn [name]Ginny[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]–of Nutcracker fame
[name]Rosalba[/name]–white rose
[name]Rosemary[/name]

Good [name]Luck[/name]!
T

I love tarat’s suggestion of [name]Clara[/name]! It’s a clever nod to the season, and goes well with your other names.

A thought I had was [name]Natalie[/name]/[name]Natalia[/name]. It is definitely a seasonal name, and just ornate enough to possible please your husband!

I love, love, love the [name]Felicity[/name] suggestion. I think it goes great with [name]Hope[/name] and [name]Michael[/name] ( I also love your kids names btw). I think [name]Hope[/name] and [name]Felicity[/name] make great sister names. Also, I have to say I think the combination [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Joy[/name] sounds wonderful, however since [name]Felicity[/name] means happy it is kind of happy, happy, joy, joy. This isn’t something that would bother me, but I dont know.

I love your children’s names! My grandmother’s name was [name]Anastasia[/name], which is just beautiful. I love the combination of [name]Joy[/name] [name]Anastasia[/name]…another suggestion is [name]Grace[/name] [name]Anastasia[/name]!

I’m not sure if I’m on the right track, but I thought I’d try…

[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Christabel[/name]
[name]Emmanuelle[/name]
[name]Estella[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Gloria[/name]
[name]Jemima[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name]
[name]Eleonora[/name]
[name]Henrietta[/name]
[name]Adalia[/name]
[name]Ambrosia[/name]
[name]Ariadne[/name]
[name]Diantha[/name]
[name]Gwyneth[/name]
[name]Odelia[/name]
[name]Samara[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]

Not to start anything, but our family of separate international adoptions is just as much a family as your biological one. I know that’s not what you meant, but that’s sort of how it came out. No hard feelings :slight_smile:

On a separate note, I have young cousins who are not of Russian heritage named [name]Grace[/name], [name]Zachariah[/name], and [name]Anastasia[/name]. [name]Anastasia[/name] is occasionally called [name]Ana[/name], but usually just goes by her full name, and I’ve never heard anyone comment that their names don’t quite match or fit with their family.

[name]Gioia[/name]? Pronounced (joy-a)

What about [name]Jubilee[/name]? It has a great meaning and would be a great way to get the feel of [name]Joy[/name] without actually using the name [name]Joy[/name]. Plus it has great nn possibilities. Some nicknames are: [name]Jewel[/name], [name]Jules[/name],[name]Julie[/name], [name]BeBe[/name], [name]Billie[/name], JuJu [name]Bee[/name], and even [name]Billie[/name] [name]Jean[/name]. Hubby and I have a long list, but this is the name we are leaning towards for daughter #2(if we have one). I think it would go great with your other children’s names. And if you are religious, it even has some religious ties as well. I think it would be perfect for a child born around the holiday season…