Oscilla?

Hey, everyone this is dancer4life. Okay, today I made up a new name: Oscilla. I think it sounds really pretty, especially with the nn [name]Cilla[/name]. What do you think? [name]Do[/name] fake and made-up sounding? Or actually kinda pretty?

Um… Is it pronounced Oh-skill-ah? I couldn’t tell. To be honest, I’m not a fan of invented names although I admire the creativity of (some of) them. I do really like the nn [name]Cilla[/name] though:) Some others that you may like along those lines:

[name]Priscilla[/name]
[name]Octavia[/name]
[name]Ophelia[/name]
Otillie
[name]Cecilia[/name]

Good [name]Luck[/name]:slight_smile:

• [name]Charlie[/name]

It reminds me of oscilloscope, which refers to oscillation. Oscillation is a regular wave, mathematically, and an oscilloscope measures that wave electrically: “a device that uses a cathode-ray tube or similar instrument to depict on a screen periodic changes in an electric quantity, as voltage or current.”

It can be used in many applications, medically and scientifically. I’m not sure how I feel about it as a name. It’s a really odd word to derive a name, and not an unheard of word either, so people will know that her name would have a meaning indicating indecision or moodiness, instability or bipolarity even. As a name, it’s not really unpleasant, close enough to [name]Priscilla[/name], but rooted differently. [name]Priscilla[/name] is a diminutive of [name]Prisca[/name]/f. of Priscus, meaning “ancient.” Oscillation is from Latin “oscillare” meaning “to swing.”

Again, I do not know how you are pronouncing it. It seems like Oss-illa, but you might have gotten the idea from [name]Oscar[/name], going to places like Oscara and playing with the ending a bit, so Os-killa? Oscilla really reminds me of Godzilla for some reason. Acela is another reference - it is full name Acela Express, the Amtrak train that is more luxurious and faster than their regular trains, in glorious marketed misspelled reference to “acceleration” - sleek and made for getting business done, cheaper than a short plane ride to a close city, and no TSA hanging you up.

If I were really interested in this name, I would get away from oscillare, and change up the spelling like Osila, Ocila… they look kind of made up but not in a way people can really pinpoint, they don’t look like you got the name from looking at your heart monitor. [name]Science[/name]/Medicine = Latin and Greek roots that probably have some interesting meanings, but we have certain opinions (maybe it’s wrong of us to do) about people who hear or see medical terms during or after their labor and name their child after it (ostensibly without checking the meaning). I am not a doctor, but Oscilla instantly reminded me of a scientific instrument often used in hospitals. Maybe the science is what turned you on in the first place - I look forward to other names you might come up with in this vein because science does rock.

It sounds like a kitchen appliance to me. Sorry.