Oswin

So, it looks like the new [name]Doctor[/name] Who companion may be named [name]Oswin[/name]. I had never heard of that name, but I absolutely love it, especially for a girl. [name]Do[/name] you think that the [name]Doctor[/name] Who connection will effect its popularity in any way?

That’s a really interesting choice. I know that “old man” names that have fallen out of favor for boys can sometimes find new life on girls, but I never would’ve expected [name]Oswin[/name] to be one of them. I’m honestly not quite sure what I think of it yet, but I do think that it’s a really fascinating choice.

[name]One[/name] of the last [name]Doctor[/name] Who episodes I watched had a female character named [name]Ambrose[/name] on it, so it seems as if one of the writers may have a fondness for old man names on girls. Wonder if using one on a prominent character will have any effect on naming trends in the U.K? Traditionally male names on girls has always been a bigger trend in the U.S.

Actually, her name will be [name]Clara[/name]. I have no idea how Moffat is going to explain that one. [name]Oswin[/name] [name]Oswald[/name] (I loved her character) is a pretty great name, though. I can’t imagine that a one episode storyline will have much effect on the name’s popularity, but based on how the [name]Doctor[/name] Who fandom reacted, it’s quite possible. She was a wonderful character, even if Moffat cimpletely disregarded canon [name]Doctor[/name] Who to make the events of the episode possible.

[name]Oswin[/name] is an Old English [name]MALE[/name] name that means “divine friend”. [name]Oswin[/name] was a 7th-century king of Northumbria ([name]England[/name]) but the name died out in the 14th century.

Oh that was an amazing episode and I LOVED meeting [name]Oswin[/name]. I definitely think she will be one of my favorite Companions, and [name]Clara[/name] has shot up my list despite my previous disinterest in it.