OT...Anime

Since we don’t have an Off Topic board I’m taking a suggestion made in jest and posting this here.

I’ve been watching InuYasha with [name_f]Persephone[/name_f]. I know she’s only 3 months old, but she gets so calm during it. It’s all the colors and music. Since I like anime and want to broaden my anime scope and since it gives [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] and myself something to watch at 3 in the morning when she’s awake, does anyone have any Anime suggestions?

I’ve already got a lot of great regular shows from you guys for during the day, I hope you can help me here to. :slight_smile:

Edit to say I’ve got a website to watch these online so they don’t have to come on at 3 in the morning :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t name any that are on late at night, but I enjoy:

Gankutsuou: [name_m]Count[/name_m] of [name_m]Monte[/name_m] Cristo

Ouran High School Host Club (at first, the description didn’t sound like something I’d enjoy, but it is actually very funny)

Trigun (more action-adventure, it takes a few episodes to get into the real plot)

[name_u]Maison[/name_u] Ikkoku (by the author of Inuyasha)

His and Her Circumstances (older, but funny romantic comedy series)

[name_f]EDIT[/name_f]:

Forgot Hetalia, funny historical series, the episodes are really short, I watched the first season in a day.

Thanks. I’ve watched all of Trigun and the movie Badlands Rumble. Isn’t Vash great? I’ll have to look into the others. Thanks!

When I was into anime, I really liked:

[name_u]Sailor[/name_u] [name_f]Moon[/name_f]
Kaleido [name_f]Star[/name_f]
Fruits Basket
[name_m]Card[/name_m] Captor [name_f]Sakura[/name_f]
A [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] [name_f]Fairy[/name_f] [name_f]Sugar[/name_f]
Wedding [name_f]Peach[/name_f]

There are some more, but I tried to suggest the ones that seemed the most cheerful and colorful from what I remember.

Some of my favorites:

Kamichama [name_f]Karin[/name_f] - A very cute, bright anime…the plot doesn’t seem interesting at first, but it’s complex and somewhat confusing if you don’t pay attention! Kamichama Karin | Anime-Planet

Gosick - Something like a female Sherlock Holmes series. Gosick | Anime-Planet

[name_f]Pita[/name_f] Ten - Made by same mangaka as Kamichama Karin, this one is just cute and fun, without any major plot, but it ends in a more serious tone. Pita-Ten | Anime-Planet

Kaichou Wa Maid-Sama! - A high school comedy romance. The girl is president of student council at her male-dominated high school and keeps her part-time maid job as a secret. Maid-sama! | Anime-Planet

Itazura Na Kiss - A slice of life/romance…this one take you through high school, college, and early adult life. It has some funny parts too. ItaKiss | Anime-Planet

Soul Eater - More action/darker anime, but there’s are several comedy episodes and characters that provide the laughs. Soul Eater | Anime-Planet

Stellvia of the Universe - This is sort of like a Harry Potter that takes place in space. Stellvia of the Universe | Anime-Planet

D.N. [name_u]Angel[/name_u] - A more serious anime, but nothing extremely dark. The main character is ‘possessed’ and from time to time, transforms into another character. D.N.Angel | Anime-Planet

Girls und Panzer - Silly concept, but a surprisingly good anime. Basically, girls face off in military tanks for sport. Girls und Panzer | Anime-Planet

Toradora! - Another high school romance/comedy. The girl is short and bad tempered while the guy is believed to be a delinquent due to his looks, but in reality is a sweet person. Toradora! | Anime-Planet

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] Complex - Yet another high school romance/comedy. This one features a girl who is much taller than average and a boy who is much shorter than average. Lovely Complex | Anime-Planet

[name_f]Fairy[/name_f] Tail - I haven’t seen the entire thing, but this seems to be more fantasy-based. Fairy Tail | Anime-Planet

I’ll be keeping my eye on this thread! I’ve been needing new series to watch :D.

Mind telling me what those are about? I don’t feel like googling everyone of them >.<

I’ve seen Sailor Moon and sort of hated it >.> My husband watched Soul Eater and said it was awesome so I definitely need to look into it.

Alright, if you want more tay2thestars, I’m watching these right now or planning on watching or picking back up:

InuYasha – love this so much
Lain – [name_f]Love[/name_f]
.Hack/Sign
Ninja Scroll – sort of violent
Rurouni Kenshin – <3
Witch Hunter Robin
Wolf’s Rain
Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok
Read or Die
Vampire Princess Miyu

I’ll definitely look these up! I edited my previous post to add a short description. Soul Eater is amazing, I absolutely loved the first OP!

You like your high school romance stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

I forgot to add Excel [name_f]Saga[/name_f]. Totally random, almost no plot, but I find it hilarious. Ninja Nonsense is the same.

I guess I’m attracted to shoujo art xD

Excel [name_f]Saga[/name_f] looks really funny! I need to give that a go! That and Death Note, which my friends keep telling me to watch.

Okay, brief summaries:

[name_u]Sailor[/name_u] [name_f]Moon[/name_f] - Well, you’re already familiar with this.
Kaleido [name_f]Star[/name_f] - Girl joins a Cirque du [name_f]Soleil[/name_f]-type performance troupe and trains hard to become a star.
Fruits Basket - An orphaned teenager is taken in by a classmate’s family and learns that the family is under a curse that causes some members to change into the animals of the Chinese zodiac whenever they are hugged by someone of the opposite sex.
[name_m]Card[/name_m] Captor [name_f]Sakura[/name_f] - Girl collects the spirits of magical cards.
A [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] [name_f]Fairy[/name_f] [name_f]Sugar[/name_f] - Girl can see fairies, but they cause her a lot of trouble.
Wedding [name_f]Peach[/name_f] - Pretty much like [name_u]Sailor[/name_u] [name_f]Moon[/name_f], except the girls wear wedding dresses instead of sailor outfits.

Yeah, these probably aren’t suited to your tastes, but [name_f]Persephone[/name_f] might find them interesting when she’s a little older. They’re pretty kid-friendly for the most part.

Some other’s that might be more your taste:

Death Note - High school boy kills criminals with the power of a killer notebook and has to evade capture by a brilliant detective.
[name_m]Black[/name_m] Lagoon - Japanese businessman is kidnapped by a group of bounty hunters, but when ends up becoming a part of the group. Very violent and disturbing.
Cowboy Bebop - Another show about bounty hunters.
Fullmetal Alchemist - Brothers search for a Philosopher’s [name_m]Stone[/name_m] in order to get back their arm/leg (in the case of [name_m]Ed[/name_m]) and body (in the case of [name_m]Al[/name_m], whose soul is attached to a suit of armor) which they lost trying to bring their dead mother back to life.
[name_m]Black[/name_m] [name_m]Butler[/name_m] - A boy and his demon butler solve mysteries in Victorian [name_f]England[/name_f].
[name_m]Le[/name_m] [name_m]Chevalier[/name_m] D’eon - A knight is sometimes possessed by the soul of his dead sister as he tries to discover the secret behind her murder. Based on a real-life knight who lived most of his life as a woman.
[name_m]Romeo[/name_m] x [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] - A retelling of [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] play, but with lots of interesting twists.

[name_f]May[/name_f] I hijack this thread to ask for some advice?
I joined the anime club at my school because I have a lot of friends in it. I don’t mind anime, and I enjoy watching it with the group, but I don’t really go out of my way in my free time to watch it. Anyway, somehow I’ve become the vice-president of the club (it’s based off of attendance). I told them when I first joined I don’t watch anime, but I think they’ve all forgotten and they keep expecting me to know about all the popular shows. [name_f]One[/name_f] time they were talking about a pretty popular show and when I confessed to a friend I hadn’t watched it she was kind of shocked.
So I’m just wondering, if you had to select five to ten “core” anime (like anime it’d be really weird for someone not to know about) what would you pick?
Thanks so much!

And in response to the original topic: I love Death Note, although the first season is a lot better than the second. And I’d definitely watch the sub for that, the dub isn’t very good. Ouran High School Host Club is cute and funny and a parody of itself. I’ve been meaning to watch [name_u]Angel[/name_u] Beats. I saw the pilot and liked it, and I have friends who adore it. It’s about teens in limbo, I can’t give a great description as it’s been forever since I watched the pilot, and it’s only 13 episodes if you’re looking for something short.

[name_f]Love[/name_f] Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal. Nothing is ‘not my taste’ till I’ve tried it. I might love some of those weird, cute ones. I’ve been wanting to try Death Note and saw [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] x [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] so I’ll have to try it too.

I haven’t watched a lot of anime, but of the ones that I’ve seen [name_f]Princess[/name_f] Tutu & Hetalia were pretty good.

I think most of the animes I like have already been suggested. My [name_m]SIL[/name_m] is anime crazy, I’m very selective in what I watch but my taste varies with my mood.

Ouran High School Host Club - I actually watched it lastnight. It’s a but rediculous and over the top but I think that’s why I like it.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion - It’s actually more my husbands taste but I don’t mind it. Basically [name_f]Britannia[/name_f] has invaded Japan, Japan is now known as area 11 and all Japanese people known as 11’s. Lelouch (a Britannian student) gets given Geass powers, can make anyone obey his orders and leads the Japanese rebellion against [name_f]Britannia[/name_f] as [name_m]Zero[/name_m]… It’s way more complex than that, I made it sound kinda boring, lol.

Hetalia - Each country is represented by a character and it’s kind of a comedic take on history. My husband hates it but I think it’s funny. I would recommend subtitles not the dub for this, but that’s just my preference.

My [name_m]SIL[/name_m] has suggested we watch D.N. [name_u]Angel[/name_u], Death Note and Steins Gate multiple times but I haven’t seen them. There are more she keeps suggesting but I can’t remember them, lol.

My husband would be suggesting Pokemon, haha. Seriously I think he has an addiction to Pokemon. He owns every season on DVD and every game. Once he was even talking about Pokemon in his sleep!

omg on the Pokemon. The guy who’s son’s names [name_m]Lucifer[/name_m] that I keep talking about, he’s that obsessed with Pokemon. I liked it when I was a kid, and Digimon, but I couldn’t watch it now :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to have to watch that Hetalia. It sounds so interesting.

‘Core’ anime changes from person to person, because some people don’t care to watch the popular ones, and instead find it weird that people don’t watch some of the less popular shows. I’ve found, for the most part, that where I live people tend to give you weird looks if you don’t know anything about:

Naruto
Bleach
[name_f]One[/name_f] Piece
[name_f]Fairy[/name_f] Tail
Death Note
Soul Eater
Ouran High School Host Club
Hetalia
Fullmetal Alchemist (2003, diverts from manga)
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (2009, sticks to manga)
Inuyasha

Sorry for any repeats.

[name_u]Blue[/name_u] Exorcist - Father [name_m]Fujimoto[/name_m], the foster father of [name_f]Rin[/name_f] Okumura, a boy who bears the curse of being Satan’s illegitimate son, sacrifices himself to save [name_f]Rin[/name_f] from demons. To avenge his foster father’s death as well as to prove himself, [name_f]Rin[/name_f] decides to follow the path of an exorcist.

.hack/[name_u]Legend[/name_u] of the Twilight - Shugo and his twin sister [name_f]Rena[/name_f], two new players in The World, are caught up in an unknown agenda. Unstopable monsters have started appearing and players that encounter these monsters fall into comas in the real world. Playing the limited edition characters, Kite and [name_m]Black[/name_m] [name_f]Rose[/name_f], and the wielding the mysterious twilight bracelet, the two siblings must figure out what is going on and stop it before the damage escalates.

Sword [name_m]Art[/name_m] Online - The players of a virtual reality MMORPG, Sword [name_m]Art[/name_m] Online, are trapped and fighting for their very lives. After it is announced that the only way to leave the game is by beating it, Kirito—a very powerful swordsman—and his friends take on a quest to free all the minds trapped in Aincrad.

Detective [name_m]Conan[/name_m]/[name_m]Case[/name_m] Closed - Kudo Shinichi is a seventeen year-old high school detective whom people call the “Modern [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m] [name_m]Holmes[/name_m].” However, one night after a date with his childhood sweetheart, [name_m]Ran[/name_m], Shinichi witnessed an illegal trade and, caught off his guard, was knocked unconscious and fed a drug that was supposed to kill him… but he woke up and found himself shrunken to a seven year old. In order to track down the men who did this to him, Shinichi hid his identity and lived with [name_m]Ran[/name_m], whose father happened to be a hopeless detective, and with that came a series of murders and mysteries that he must solve.

Darker than [name_m]Black[/name_m] - In Tokyo, an impenetrable field known as “Hell’s Gate” appeared ten years ago. At the same time, psychics who wield paranormal powers at the cost of their conscience also emerged. Hei is one of the most powerful of these psychic agents, and along with his blind associate, Yin, works for one of the many rival agencies vying to unlock the mysteries of Hell’s Gate.

Durarara!! - Mikado [name_m]Ry[/name_m]ūgamine is a boy who longs for the exciting life of the big city. At the invitation of his childhood friend Masaomi Kida, he transfers to a school in Ikebukuro and is soon warned about people he doesn’t want to cross in the city: a violent and superhumanly strong man, Shizuo Heiwajima, an information broker named Izaya Orihara, and a mysterious gang known as “The Dollars”. Mikado also witnesses a local legend called the “[name_m]Black[/name_m] [name_m]Rider[/name_m]”, who rides around Ikebukuro on a black bike and is also rumored to have no head under its helmet. From then on, the story follows several different characters, how their lives intersect and the many incidents that eventually push Ikebukuro to its limits.

Gurren Lagann - In their closed-off underground village, Kamina and [name_m]Simon[/name_m] chafe at the limits imposed by the village elder. Yet all this will change, when [name_m]Simon[/name_m] stumbles across a fantastic device—just as the village’s peace is broken by a violent intrusion.

Moribito - Balsa, the spear wielder and bodyguard, is visiting the [name_m]New[/name_m] Yogo Empire. She is hired to protect the Second [name_m]Prince[/name_m], Chagum, who is endangered because he is possessed by a being despised by his father, the Emperor, who ordered his assasination. The two go on a perilous adventure for the survival of the prince. Throughout the story, Balsa’s past will come to light and they will uncover mysteries about Chagum’s condition while developing a family-like relationship with each other and others.

I have no idea why my husband loves Pokemon so much. People are usually shocked when I tell them that I hadn’t seen any Pokemon episodes or played any of the games until 2008, maybe that’s partially why I really don’t get why he loves it so much, lol.

I call Pokemon my lullaby because everytime he puts it on I get so bored I fall asleep :stuck_out_tongue:

My very favorite is Cowboy Bebop, and the [name_u]Jazz[/name_u] score is amazing! I own the whole soundtrack.

DN [name_u]Angel[/name_u] is another good one.

Haibane Renmei was interesting, too.

Thanks so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I’ll try to watch at least some episodes from all of these series.