Other than the fabulous Nameberry...

…what are your name destinations on the internet?

I’m a longtime fan of the [name]Baby[/name] Name [name]Wizard[/name] and an occasional reader of You Can’t Call It It. I think Behind the Name is a good resource. And I just discovered Appellation Mountain, which so far seems great.

Any other good sites? Blogs? Tools?

I’ve been impressed with [name]Baby[/name] Name [name]Wizard[/name], too.

www.behindthename.com is fantastic for more scholarly, etymology-based name searching. It’s not as fun as nameberry, but it’s very informative and reliable. I always go there to double check meanings.

[name]Hi[/name] everyone – I have to admit I wince at seeing people praise the [name]Wizard[/name] here, as her work was obviously inspired by ours yet she’s never admitted our existence. That said, the tool is undeniably cool.

Where do WE go to find out more about a name we want to know more about? Behind the Name is great and definitely the most authoritative source out there (besides us, of course). Wikipedia can be good. And of course we [name]LOVE[/name] both Appellation Mountain and You Can’t Call It It.

I have to admit, I do visit the [name]Baby[/name] Name [name]Wizard[/name] site frequently. Its blogs are not as frequent, insightful, or as centered on names to possibly use (I have also noticed that a good bit of the members like names such as [name]Ava[/name] & [name]Aiden[/name]). I am not a member at the [name]Baby[/name] Name [name]Wizard[/name] or owner of [name]Laura[/name] Wattenberg’s books.
The [name]Baby[/name] Name [name]Genie[/name] (babynamegenie.com) is a tool that helps when you’re trying to come up with combos. Plug in your last name and baby’s gender, and voila! the [name]Baby[/name] Name [name]Genie[/name] has a first & middle name combination.
I also love reading the blogs Appellation Mountain (appellationmountain.net) and You Can’t Call It “It”! (youcantcallitit.com). Sidenote: Apellation Mountain recently blogged about one of my favorite names: [name]Florence[/name]. I love the nickname [name]Flossie[/name]!
Nymbler (nymbler.com) is a tool that I frequently use. Put in a few of your favorite names and Nymbler comes up with ones similar in style. It’s amazing how accurate it is: for [name]Philip[/name], [name]Susanna[/name], [name]Calvin[/name], and [name]Florence[/name], Nymbler produced [name]Benjamin[/name], [name]Frederick[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], and [name]Antonia[/name]. For [name]Ryan[/name] (m), [name]Ava[/name], [name]Aidan[/name], and [name]Madison[/name] (f), Nymbler showed [name]Gavin[/name], [name]Aislinn[/name], [name]Teagan[/name], and [name]Aubrey[/name].
Behind the Name is a go-to source that I use occasionally to double-check some meanings.
But, of all the name blogs I read, Nameberry is the best!

I only read and post on Nameberry, but I briefly stumbled upon some of the, uh, downmarket sites before landing here. Suffice it to say, the multitude of trendee and yooneek names I saw have traumatized me for a lifetime. :slight_smile:

I just wanted to caution everyone against Wikipedia. I’ve heard that it doesn’t have the best security, therefore anyone and everyone can get in and post whatever they want on it. Supposedly a guy actually made up a disease named after his girlfriend as a joke.

You Can’t Call It It was my first name website, followed shortly by Appellation Mountain. Those are both totally fabulous. I use Nymbler occasionally, but I don’t think it’s all that great. One site that’s REALLY cool is our365.com, it’s the company that did the pictures at the hospital, but if you’re a member, there’s this map you can look at and it shows all the name of babies born in hospitals all over the country, it’s really interesting. Oh, and like [name]Jill[/name], I stumbled upon some other message boards before I found nameberry. Terrible. I recently went back and looked at one of the boards I posted on when I first got pregnant, and realized how ridiculous it was. I don’t understand people who think [name]Jayne[/name] is better than [name]Jane[/name]. Yuck. OH! And I’ve had an account on babynames.com since I was 14, lol.

Of course Nameberry is my favorite, but I do look at other sites for inspiration. To see how the different first and middle name choices look with my last name I use http://www.yeahbaby.com/baby-name-generator.php (I could write it out myself, but I’m lazy sometimes). To see names that are the result of blending others, I use www.babynameguide.com. I use the babynamewizard site to see how popular a name has been or is and get a list of names that have a certain letter combination in them.

Here’s my new blog, with some of the posts being on names (the first address is the general one for my blog, the second one is on a recent post relating to names and how long it takes for an outdated name to sound fashionable again):
http://millennialkelly.blogspot.com
http://millennialkelly.blogspot.com/2009/07/names-and-generations.html

Nameberry is mentioned there along with some of [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name]'s competitors.

I checked out a link from the Nameberry blog to [name]Sebastiane[/name]'s site today and enjoyed it very much. http://www.legitnames.blogspot.com

From there I discovered a link to The Bad [name]Baby[/name] Names blog, and oh my, what a delightful treasure trove of evil…