Otis - Hip or Goofy???

I’m expecting a baby boy at the end of [name]May[/name] and as much as I adore names…choosing a boy name has really given me a run for my money! My daughter is [name]Olive[/name] [name]June[/name] and my DH and I had her named before we knew her gender. It was soo easy and I adore her name!

This time around, the only name we can really agree on and that excites me is [name]Otis[/name]. But…I get VERY mixed reactions when I mention it to anyone. Some people are on board right away and don’t seem to have any issues with it. My mom, on the other hand, says she only thinks of the goofy drunk from the [name]Andy[/name] [name]Griffith[/name] show when she hears it = / Middle name would be [name]Glynn[/name] (my maiden name) or [name]Martin[/name] (a family name) or perhaps both. Last name Brink.

What do the berries think? Does [name]Otis[/name] give off the spunky classy vibe I imagine it does or am I crazy to consider it??? Is [name]Otis[/name] [name]Glynn[/name] [name]Martin[/name] Brink a good sib-set with [name]Olive[/name] [name]June[/name] Brink??

Thanks for your all your help!

While I can appreciate [name]Otis[/name] as one of the less popular names, I feel like [name]Otis[/name] Brink sounds a bit more like a character than a person. It reminds me of [name]Arthur[/name] Dent, more of a do-good, bashful, clumsy guy. I will always associate [name]Otis[/name] as either the dog in [name]Milo[/name] and [name]Otis[/name] or [name]Samuel[/name] [name]Otis[/name], the elevator guy lol

However, as I always say, if you and your husband are just feeling that [name]Otis[/name] is right, then there’s a reason for it. I think [name]Otis[/name] and [name]Olive[/name] would make perfect sense as a sib set, too. ^^

I like [name]Otis[/name] okay. I don’t think it’s goofy or hip, it just is. It’s very far from my own style. I can say, however, that i find [name]Otis[/name] and [name]Olive[/name] a little matchy.

However, if you and your husband love it, then don’t let what anyone says stop you from using it. There’s always going to be people who don’t like it. [name]Otis[/name] [name]Glynn[/name] is nice but I think the 2 middle names are too much.

I love [name]Otis[/name], agree [name]Otis[/name] and [name]Olive[/name] are maybe too matchy and it doesn’t pair well with ln Brink. Sorry!

I really like [name]Otis[/name] as a first name. It was one of our top options before we found out we were having a girl.

If you don’t mind having the two “O names”, I say go with it…especially if you both like it! I think it’s rare, cool, and interesting sounding.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Otis[/name]! It’s not really something that I would think of as my own style, and I doubt I would ever use it, but I really like it, and I really love the idea of [name]Olive[/name] and [name]Otis[/name], even though it is a bit matchy. They have the same short-and-sweet, vintagey, funky, cool vibe.

And the [name]Otis[/name] [name]Campbell[/name] thing doesn’t really bother me… most people don’t watch The [name]Andy[/name] [name]Griffith[/name] Show anymore (I don’t think, anyway!), and I will always remember [name]Hal[/name] [name]Smith[/name] for playing a totally different (and much cooler, imo!) character, [name]John[/name] [name]Avery[/name] [name]Whittaker[/name], in a children’s radio drama called Adventures in Odyssey. I actually like the name [name]Otis[/name] even more because he reminds me of the man who brought [name]Whit[/name] to life. Although I’m guessing most people wouldn’t care about that association, haha. Most non-Christians wouldn’t know about the series. I doubt most Christians even know about the series, lol. I grew up on the show, though, so it would be a huge bonus for me. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure about the flow of [name]Otis[/name] [name]Glynn[/name] [name]Martin[/name], but I think something like [name]Otis[/name] [name]Martin[/name] Brink would be really cool and I love it with [name]Olive[/name] [name]June[/name] Brink.

Good luck!

[name]Otis[/name] may be the next [name]Owen[/name]. Fifteen years ago, the name [name]Owen[/name] raised images of a goofy kid with thick glasses. Now, it’s a very popular name and one I personally like.

[name]Otis[/name], right now, says goofy to me. But maybe you’ll be the start of it’s rise?

Thanks for all your replies berries! I agree that the [name]Glynn[/name] [name]Martin[/name] thing is a bit of a mouthful, and that [name]Martin[/name] is the better choice with the name. I just hate the idea of not being able to use my maiden name…but oh well!

ashthedreamer: I totally grew up listening to Adventures in Oddyssey as well!!! I would not have ever made that connection however = )

ha! Well that’s cool, then. I am totally an [name]AIO[/name] dork–when I was in middle school I read this huge book that was called “The Entire Encyclopedia of Adventures in Odyssey” or something, haha. I loved it. It had the whole history and it talked about how [name]Hal[/name] was [name]Otis[/name] [name]Campbell[/name], and then when Odyssey got started in the late 1980s he just volunteered to be a part of it or something. I think it’s such a great series, haha… [name]Avery[/name]'s even on my list as a FN for [name]Whit[/name], lol.

I love [name]Otis[/name] - I think it’s cute and spunky but would age well. If I didn’t already have a [name]Milo[/name], [name]Otis[/name] would definitely be on my list for our next child.

And I think [name]Otis[/name] [name]Glynn[/name] would work great, as would [name]Otis[/name] [name]Martin[/name], I just think it’s the two middles together that don’t work that well with your last name.

I think [name]Otis[/name] is a great name. Though I’d definitely go with [name]Martin[/name] instead of [name]Glynn[/name].

I love the name [name]Otis[/name]. I’m a writer and used [name]Otis[/name] for one of my characters. I picked the name because it has a lot of the same qualities (I think) as my character: slightly goofy, laid back, very Southern, and brings to mind an honest, hardworking guy. [name]Otis[/name] [name]Redding[/name] gives the name a bit of a jazzy cool edge. If [name]Hank[/name] and [name]Ezra[/name] can be cool, why not [name]Otis[/name]?

I [name]Love[/name] [name]Otis[/name] - Its on my list for [name]Baby[/name] Boy number 3 - Due in [name]April[/name]. We already have a [name]Jack[/name] and a [name]Felix[/name]

[name]Olive[/name] and [name]Otis[/name] sounds soooo cute!

Here’s the rest of our list in case anything sits with you

[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Rocco[/name]
[name]Otto[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Maxwell[/name] / [name]Max[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

Thanks Mamame! Our lists are VERY much the same = ) [name]Griffin[/name] is a family name that we’ve also considered and [name]Maxwell[/name] is a favorite of my DH. [name]Otto[/name] has been on my long list for awhile too…thanks for the input!

And Agirlinred, I love your thoughts on [name]Hank[/name] and [name]Ezra[/name], lets throw [name]Otis[/name] in the mix!

I adore [name]Otis[/name]! It’s a big GP for me. Up until a few years ago, I would’ve said “No way, it’s old-fashioned - and not in a good way.” Then I saw the cutest little baby boy named [name]Otis[/name] on TV and it made me think of the name differently.
I could see [name]Otis[/name] gaining a little bit of popularity, probably by the same set of people who like other names that could be considered a little too old-fashioned by most people, such as [name]Amos[/name] and [name]Albert[/name]. It’s unlikely that [name]Otis[/name] will have a big gain in popularity, unless there’s a fictional character that’s not known by the general population that’s yet to hit the mainstream, such as in a book or on TV or in a movie.

[name]Otis[/name] is a very goofy, dorky name to me. I personally don’t think it ages well at all… and the only [name]Otis[/name] I know is a cat. :confused: so maybe that’s why.

[name]Otis[/name] and [name]Olive[/name] are not a good match together, sorry. However, I think I have the name that would make a good substitute and it is

[name]RONAN[/name]. It has the “O” sound that you love but is not matchy and yet [name]Ronan[/name] and [name]Olive[/name] are stunning together imho.

rollo

first of all Adventures in Oddyssey rocked and I never knew the guy who played mr. whitaker was a man named [name]Otis[/name]…thats great.

[name]Otis[/name] to me though does sound like an old man. or a chunky kid with that last name [name]Archibald[/name]. I like the double O names for your kids but just giving my two cents…what about the name Oddyssey? jk.

To be honest the first thing that came to my mind was the character from [name]Andy[/name] [name]Griffith[/name] also but that is a generational thing and because I watch old TV shows. It isn’t something that in the main would be a connection. [name]Otis[/name] is unusual but with a schoolyard full of little Aidans and Ethans really won’t seem so different. I like the combo of [name]Olive[/name] and [name]Otis[/name]. I also agree [name]Martin[/name] is a better match as a middle.